Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Atomic Ski Boot Thread

This is a bit overdue but dump your Atomic ski boot questions here and I will do my best to answer them in a semi-professional manner.

To kick this off, let me officially introduce some new boots for the 23/24 winter season (landing in shops autumn 2023):

Hawx Ultra XTD v2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultra XTD BOA.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	443509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultra XTD buckle.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	443510

Quick Stats
    • Same last as before (no changes)- 98mm/26.5
    • Same out-of-the-box geometry as before- 15° forward lean, 4° ramp angle.
    • Same 54° of cuff ROM.
    • Full PU construction, cuff & shell. No Grilamid, no Pebax, no polypropylene, no polyolefin.
    • Thicker lower shell and thicker cuff for more stability, better damping, more durability for daily resort use.
    • All new Mimic liner construction with our 3D stretch toe box, an adjustable/removeable tongue and a much improved Achilles Flex Zone to match the cuff movement.
    • New ski/walk mechanism allows for 3 forward lean settings (no flip chips) 13°-15°-17°
    • New glued-on Skywalk GripWalk rubber sole ISO 23223 (lower standheight & less weight allow us to go full PU but still keep a respectable weight).
    • Available with an all new, ski boot specific BOA system or traditional buckles (assuming this will be a bigger discussion to follow)
    • Unisex flexes: 130, 120, 110
    • Women’s flexes: 115, 95
    • 1830g / 26.5
    Last edited by onenerdykid; 01-20-2023 at 10:35 AM.

Backland XTD Carbon 120

Name:	Backland XTD.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	443511

Quick Stats
    • Imagine a Hawx Prime with 74° of better-than-Backland cuff ROM, a 120 flex and a full rubber touring norm sole (or GripWalk if you want).
    • 1390g / 26.5
    • 100mm, medium volume last (based on Hawx Prime)
    • Same cuff height (front & rear) as Hawx Prime
    • New lower shell construction blends an overlap & open-throat construction together for the best of easy on/off and foot wrapping
    • Frictionless “Mirror” Pivots deliver a more free-gliding cuff than Backland (they are symmetrical & parallel in their orientation)
    • New ski/walk mechanism allows for 3 forward lean settings (no flip chips) 13°-15°-17°
    • Available as a touring norm ISO 9523 boot or as GripWalk (it’s not swappable, just made either way)
    Last edited by onenerdykid; 01-20-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Ok fun and all. Important stuff, though. Can the redster cs be black with red logos, in the nordica font, next year? Would help me tricking the wife.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

How much of the Hawx weight is shell vs. liner? +400g at 26.5 is big. How's the liner compared to, say, an intuition?

Disappointed the backland is wide because it looks sweet.

How's the multiple forward lean settings work? I assume it's not just "close it and hope it locks in the one you want."
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Ok fun and all. Important stuff, though. Can the redster cs be black with red logos, in the nordica font, next year? Would help me tricking the wife.

yeah but without red boots, how will people know I'm fast?

Love that boot though

Worth noting, as you told me Matt, that the shell comes out roomier than the old hawx xtd because of less shrinkage from the PU vs the grilamid. It feels different and not just from the liner. And this is a very good thing. There is noticeably more room in the toes of the v2 ultra xtd.

That’s not tricking. It’s just, shall we say, letting sleeping dogs lie…

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Backland XTD Carbon 120

Attachment 443465

Quick Stats
    • Imagine a Hawx Prime with 74° of better-than-Backland cuff ROM, a 120 flex and a full rubber touring norm sole (or GripWalk if you want).
    • 1390g / 26.5
    • 100mm, medium volume last (based on Hawx Prime)
    • Same cuff height (front & rear) as Hawx Prime
    • New lower shell construction blends an overlap & open-throat construction together for the best of easy on/off and foot wrapping
    • Frictionless “Mirror” Pivots deliver a more free-gliding cuff than Backland (they are symmetrical & parallel in their orientation)
    You make me so sad. With one word: “Prime”. That should be “ultra”.

My narrow feet love the Backland Carbon, and could even do with a bit less width. I had hoped for the same fit in a beefier model. All the features sound great, I love the idea of a boot that is not super light, but has great walking. In my mind, that matters more than weight.
    I have a high instep, so the open top helps me for fit, and then I have no need for a high volume last.

I will go off and cry in a corner now.

But my personal fit issues aside, it looks like a really complete line up of walk compatible boots. Let me see if I get this straight:

Beefy, PU boot for the 50/50 crowd, or people who want a touring boot with maximum ski performance. Buckle or Alpine Boa options.

Very light, super nimble boot for the all about the up crowd. With Buckles or Boa’s. Or a recreational skimo race version.

In between boot with solid weight and great walkability, with touring sole or Gripwalk.

If you can keep track of all those skus, it sure seems like you have something for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    How much of the Hawx weight is shell vs. liner? +400g at 26.5 is big. How's the liner compared to, say, an intuition?

Disappointed the backland is wide because it looks sweet.

How's the multiple forward lean settings work? I assume it's not just "close it and hope it locks in the one you want."
    IIRC the liner is 425-ish grams, definitely heavier than an intuition but due to the Mimic material, heat moldable cuff, heat moldable tongue and adjustable tongue it will mold more precisely and be more powerful on the down.

Forward lean adjustment is the same since 2019 Backland & Prime XTD - loosen the screws, position into the setting you want, add thread lock and retighten screws. Doesn't budge.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Worth noting, as you told me Matt, that the shell comes out roomier than the old hawx xtd because of less shrinkage from the PU vs the grilamid. It feels different and not just from the liner. And this is a very good thing. There is noticeably more room in the toes of the v2 ultra xtd.
    Precisely - it's now exactly on par with regular Hawx Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post

My narrow feet love the Backland Carbon, and could even do with a bit less width. I had hoped for the same fit in a beefier model. All the features sound great, I love the idea of a boot that is not super light, but has great walking. In my mind, that matters more than weight.
    I have a high instep, so the open top helps me for fit, and then I have no need for a high volume last.

I will go off and cry in a corner now.
    You and me both, but we'll start here and see if anything narrower comes along in the future.

You can buy one now: https://www.levelninesports.com/atom...ki-boots-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    Buy the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD from recent years. Pretty much the same weight as this new Backland XTD, and great low-volume fit. Yeah it probably doesn't walk as well and doesn't have a full rubber sole but it skis great.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Buy the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD from recent years. Pretty much the same weight as this new Backland XTD, and great low-volume fit. Yeah it probably doesn't walk as well and doesn't have a full rubber sole but it skis great.
    I've got a first-gen Hawx Ultra XTD 130 with an intuition and it's still doing inbounds duty but I've pulled the powerstrap screws and if I get the new XTD next year planning to remove the 4th buckle. Won't walk as well as the backland xtd but at least the weight is down there and it skis great in the BC. Maybe in a couple years there'll be a backland xtd ultra and I can move to that.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

weight comparison I could find from google search:

22/23 Ultra 130 S GW (non tour) - 1785 g
    19/20 Ultra XTD - 1410 g
    22/23 Ultra XTD - 1580 g
    23/24 Ultra XTD - 1830 g

That's a beefy touring boot with the full PU
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 01-20-2023 at 09:53 AM.

Will new xtd liners be available separately? My first gens are long overdue for replacement.

super jong question onk - what is the point of that piece of rubber above the toe below the toe buckle?

also interested in new mimic liners for my 19/20 xtd primes

Oh cool thanks for making this I was just considering trying to get ahold of someone about my boots. Can the bushings/bearings (?) in the backland cuff pivots be adjusted or replaced? Mine seem to have some play in them. Bolts seem tight enough but I haven't tried taking it all apart. They're backland carbons I got around this time last year.

The cuff pivots are replaceable but IME the plastic ovalizes and replacing the pivot doesn't fix that. Also, it's difficult to use the little wrench to hold the interior bolt without it popping off at the torque require to uninstall. I've just dealt with the slop and they haven't exploded yet.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Will new xtd liners be available separately? My first gens are long overdue for replacement.
    New Ultra XTD Mimic Platinum liners will be available, and there is a new Mimic Professional liner for the Hawx XTD boots dropping as well.

Hawx Ultra XTD Mimic Platinum:

Name:	Picture3.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	443507

Hawx XTD Mimic Professional (fits both Ultra & Prime XTD boots):

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	618.3 KB 
ID:	443508

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    super jong question onk - what is the point of that piece of rubber above the toe below the toe buckle?

also interested in new mimic liners for my 19/20 xtd primes
    Tip sealing/toe dam - keeps water out

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    IIRC the liner is 425-ish grams, definitely heavier than an intuition but due to the Mimic material, heat moldable cuff, heat moldable tongue and adjustable tongue it will mold more precisely and be more powerful on the down.
    Any more info to share on the liner? Is it available standalone? Should we think of this as a lighter ZipFit GFT (~575g in 26.5 vs. 425g claimed for what size)? How good will ROM be in a less beefy boot, comparable to Intuition Tour line?
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Oh cool thanks for making this I was just considering trying to get ahold of someone about my boots. Can the bushings/bearings (?) in the backland cuff pivots be adjusted or replaced? Mine seem to have some play in them. Bolts seem tight enough but I haven't tried taking it all apart. They're backland carbons I got around this time last year.
    Yes and if there is play, you should do it sooner than later
    Frictionless Pivot Set - AZE001164
    (full hardware set for a pair of boots, including screws)

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    The cuff pivots are replaceable but IME the plastic ovalizes and replacing the pivot doesn't fix that. Also, it's difficult to use the little wrench to hold the interior bolt without it popping off at the torque require to uninstall. I've just dealt with the slop and they haven't exploded yet.
    It's kind of like a head tube on a mountain bike in this regard. If you ride a loose headset for too long, you run the risk of ovalizing the head tube and nothing will ever fit properly again. Always best to get new parts in as soon as you notice the slop developing. Definitely try to get a thin-wall socket for the internal nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Any more info to share on the liner? Is it available standalone? Should we think of this as a lighter ZipFit GFT (~575g in 26.5 vs. 425g claimed for what size)? How good will ROM be in a less beefy boot, comparable to Intuition Tour line?
    Both of the liners I posted above will be available on their own. Mimic Platinum version is in the area of 425g and the Mimic Professional is 600g+ (depends on how much foam goes in). Both will have better ROM than the GFT and the Mimic Professional is way more akin to the GFT in terms of intended purpose, power, precision, responsiveness, etc.