Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Hey ONK, I've been skiing a 26.5 Hawx Ultra XTD this season with a couple shims under the insoles and am considering another pair for inbounds exclusively. The Ultras ski well but feel a little loose over the ankle, shell fit is right about 3/4" so almost 2cm. If I try and size down would it make sense to move to the Hawx Prime or try and make an Ultra work? Or should I stick with a 26.5 and try and fill gaps?
    I would 100% go a 25.5 Ultra...

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    I would 100% go a 25.5 Ultra...
    Saw your other post and that's wild (and promising) that you got them working. How do you measure vs what size you're in? My feet are 261mm/258mm.

My feet measure 285mm long and 113mm wide with the verifyt app and I am in a 28.5 Hawk Ultra.

Saw your other post and that's wild (and promising) that you got them working. How do you measure vs what size you're in? My feet are 261mm/258mm.
    I agree with ASP, especially if your largest foot barely measures over a 26. Now, in a 26 it will most likely not feel great in the toe box and you will most likely need the toe box punched out a little bit. Should honestly be super easy to do. Definitely don't drop down a size and go to a Prime. You'll just smash your toes in the front even more given how high the instep of that boot is, which you also don't need.

FWIW - I measure 27.5-ish cm and wear a 26 Hawx Ultra & Redster CS. It's a 1cm shell fit and I need to do a little work on my Redsters (toe punch, slight navicular grind) but then it's good to wear all day. Without that, I wouldn't have much fun skiing it. But in a 27 Redster CS, I would have the length but (like you) need to add 3 shims to take up the excess volume. Drop down a size and tip your favorite boot fitter.

How you measure (meaning what device you use) is also a factor - a Brannock typically measures 3-5mm longer than a digital device (Verifyt, Fischer, Corpus-e all are very similar IME). But yeah, go with a 25.5 and find a bootfitter who can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    FWIW - I measure 27.5-ish cm and wear a 26 Hawx Ultra & Redster CS. It's a 1cm shell fit and I need to do a little work on my Redsters (toe punch, slight navicular grind) but then it's good to wear all day. Without that, I wouldn't have much fun skiing it. But in a 27 Redster CS, I would have the length but (like you) need to add 3 shims to take up the excess volume. Drop down a size and tip your favorite boot fitter.
    Thanks for your advice! What size/model touring boots are you using from the lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    How you measure (meaning what device you use) is also a factor - a Brannock typically measures 3-5mm longer than a digital device (Verifyt, Fischer, Corpus-e all are very similar IME). But yeah, go with a 25.5 and find a bootfitter who can make it work.
    Those measurements were with the Verifyt app. Fortunately I'm local so I was able to book an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice! What size/model touring boots are you using from the lineup?
    In touring, I wear a 27.5 Backland Carbon and a Backland XTD Carbon 120. Almost a 2cm shell fit, so I have to do a few extra things to make them work. I plan on experimenting with 26.5 Backland XTD closer to spring/touring season.

Matt, I’ve heard a few references to a modified redster CS with the sole mods and the softer boot board being the killer resort boot…what’re the chances of that getting its own SKU? Sounds like an excellent product but having to bust out the router for the sole swap seems like it’ll turn a lot of buyers away.

I know clog lasts are $$$$ but is there a factory modified version in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Matt, I’ve heard a few references to a modified redster CS with the sole mods and the softer boot board being the killer resort boot…what’re the chances of that getting its own SKU? Sounds like an excellent product but having to bust out the router for the sole swap seems like it’ll turn a lot of buyers away.

I know clog lasts are $$$$ but is there a factory modified version in the pipeline?
    I totally understand, it's a pain for me too haha. But we'll have to wait to see what the future brings.

Normally, it tends to go the other way- tighter fit in the alpine boot, slightly more room in the touring boot. But, what is your shell fit like in the 28.5 Ultra? 1cm fit or closer to 2cm?
    Thanks for answering my questions! I think I've become a bit of an Atomic boot fan.

It's closer to 2cm in the 28.5 Hawx Ultra XTD. My feet measure out at 283mm and 285mm. The last time I bought boots I was much more concerned with the performance of my splitboard boots than I was with a performance fit in my ski boots but now that I can drive my skis better I appreciate a closer fit in ski boots too. Again, shrinking the BSL was a big motivator in downsizing the Backlands for splitboarding since that is the determining factor in how narrow the skis can be.

I felt like I was overpowering my 2021 hawx ultra s 130s in firm snow on Wednesday night. Temps were high 20s so not super warm. upper buckles are about as tight as I can close them and the boots have 15-20 days on them. I am pretty happy with the stiffness in softer snow and wondering if there is an easy option for a bit more power when it’s hard that is cheaper than buying a set of redsters to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I felt like I was overpowering my 2021 hawx ultra s 130s in firm snow on Wednesday night. Temps were high 20s so not super warm. upper buckles are about as tight as I can close them and the boots have 15-20 days on them. I am pretty happy with the stiffness in softer snow and wondering if there is an easy option for a bit more power when it’s hard that is cheaper than buying a set of redsters to go with them.

I’ve had success with the pulse lab stiffener

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I haven't personally used the Pulse Lab Pro Flex stiffening element, but it looks like it would do the trick. And as it goes up under the cuff flaps, it would take up some volume there for you too (re: buckle tightness). Definitely the most cost effective way of going about it.

You can also play around with new liners that add more substance/responsiveness to the boot, which is more costly but still cheaper than throwing down for a new boot.

Got a few DMs about the Redster Dual Component lifter, so figured I would post a pic of them here, along with part numbers. Basically, this is a 6mm lifter made with the same hard & soft materials from our GripWalk grip pads. As a lifter, it is put onto a solid sole boot and the toes & heels need to be routered back to ISO 5355 dimensions. The grip isn't as good something full rubber, but it is honestly really good and it lasts a long, long time. I'm in my 3rd season on one set and they are still going strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual Component Lifter - small image.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	446577

Size 21-24: Part number AZE001794
    Size 25-29: Part number AZE001796
    Last edited by onenerdykid; 02-07-2023 at 07:25 AM.

Hey Matt, I was able to get on the Backland XTD last week for a couple of hours during a buyers conference and can only say good things about it, good on you guys for putting 120 instead of 130 on it for flex as you discussed in the gear 30 episode, for once it actually felt somewhat correct. Walk-mode is superb, up there with my sub-1kg Scarpas in ROM.

Also, the strap on the Backland XTD is extremely nice for a touring boot and I want it for all my personal boots, do you have part numbers for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post
    Hey Matt, I was able to get on the Backland XTD last week for a couple of hours during a buyers conference and can only say good things about it, good on you guys for putting 120 instead of 130 on it for flex as you discussed in the gear 30 episode, for once it actually felt somewhat correct. Walk-mode is superb, up there with my sub-1kg Scarpas in ROM.

Also, the strap on the Backland XTD is extremely nice for a touring boot and I want it for all my personal boots, do you have part numbers for that?
    Nice, glad you were able to get out on it! The specific strap that's on the Backland XTD will most likely only fit Backland XTD (due to the specific angle/bend where the strap attaches to the cuff) but the same strap with a "regular" layout is found on the new Hawx Ultra XTD and that's the one you'll want to put on other boots. The part numbers haven't gone live for those yet so you'll have to wait a bit.

How would you say the ankle and heel fit is? Can you compare to a zero G tour pro? With only one cuff buckle did you feel like you still got enough pressure holding you back in the heel pocket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post

Nice, glad you were able to get out on it! The specific strap that's on the Backland XTD will most likely only fit Backland XTD (due to the specific angle/bend where the strap attaches to the cuff) but the same strap with a "regular" layout is found on the new Hawx Ultra XTD and that's the one you'll want to put on other boots. The part numbers haven't gone live for those yet so you'll have to wait a bit.
    Is it elasticated booster style? I’d be looking to pick one up.

Got a few DMs about the Redster Dual Component lifter, so figured I would post a pic of them here, along with part numbers. Basically, this is a 6mm lifter made with the same hard & soft materials from our GripWalk grip pads. As a lifter, it is put onto a solid sole boot and the toes & heels need to be routered back to ISO 5355 dimensions. The grip isn't as good something full rubber, but it is honestly really good and it lasts a long, long time. I'm in my 3rd season on one set and they are still going strong.

Name:	Dual Component Lifter - small image.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	446577

Size 21-24: Part number AZE001794
    Size 25-29: Part number AZE001796
    Shop put a pair on my Head Raptors. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Is it elasticated booster style? I’d be looking to pick one up.
    The Backland XTD/Ultra XTD straps are static.

We do offer elasticized straps- our Professional Dual Strap takes things 2 or 3 steps further than what Booster can do:

Name:	AZE001686_0_PROFESSIONAL_DUAL_STRAP_HAWX_S.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1,008.9 KB 
ID:	446597

These straps are split into a top half that sits directly on the tongue and a lower half that sits on the plastic cuff. Both halves are elastic but there is an additional velcro strap on the top half that controls how much suspension/elasticity you want to have. Keeping the velcro loose allows for a lot of elasticity & shock absorption, but snugging it up reduces the amount of elasticity & makes it more direct/responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    How would you say the ankle and heel fit is? Can you compare to a zero G tour pro? With only one cuff buckle did you feel like you still got enough pressure holding you back in the heel pocket?
    Yes I can, I have used the Zero G tour pro for the last 3 seasons as my main boot and have had issues with previous backlands not giving me enough heel-hold. I had no issues at all with the heel on the XTD, felt like the pocket was in the right place for me and sucked my heel into it. Straight out of the box with stock insoles the fit was very "flat" but with molded insoles I felt no issues at all, it is fore sure a roomier fit then the other backlands but initial feeling is that this fit will suit a lot more feet, especially since it is made for touring.

The one cuff buckle is perfectly fine and works better then one might think and the strap is very nice and kind of molds itself to the upper part of the boot evening out the power-distribution (ie not just pressing super hard on one point). I also think it works good enough with only 2 buckles partly because of the system with the cables on the lower buckle and that the buckle is placed a little more towards the ankle/ heel then some of the other 2-buckle boots and therefore giving it a better heel-hold?

The Backland XTD/Ultra XTD straps are static.

We do offer elasticized straps- our Professional Dual Strap takes things 2 or 3 steps further than what Booster can do:

Name:	AZE001686_0_PROFESSIONAL_DUAL_STRAP_HAWX_S.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1,008.9 KB 
ID:	446597

These straps are split into a top half that sits directly on the tongue and a lower half that sits on the plastic cuff. Both halves are elastic but there is an additional velcro strap on the top half that controls how much suspension/elasticity you want to have. Keeping the velcro loose allows for a lot of elasticity & shock absorption, but snugging it up reduces the amount of elasticity & makes it more direct/responsive.
    Neat! Is this easy/possible to purchase individually? I’d like to try it.

Neat! Is this easy/possible to purchase individually? I’d like to try it.
    Yes. My local shop didn’t stock them, but no issue having them order some. That was tail end of last season, so can’t comment on current inventory situation).

I got the Redster style ones which have a different tightening/release set up.

The Atomic Ski Boot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Yes. My local shop didn’t stock them, but no issue having them order some. That was tail end of last season, so can’t comment on current inventory situation).

I got the Redster style ones which have a different tightening/release set up.
    Can you describe how they are different?

The one on the redster and hawx professional in the atomic site look similar.

Edit: you’re right though they both look different to the one posted above.

Can you describe how they are different?

The one on the redster and hawx professional in the atomic site look similar.

Edit: you’re right though they both look different to the one posted above.
    Both versions have the same strap-function, strength, size, etc.

The only difference is in the type of cam buckle: Hawx version uses a Quick-Release cam, Redster version uses a traditional push-to-release cam.