Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    @onenerdykid If I like the fit of the Hawx XTD 130, and somewhat the backland carbon (minus the high instep) could I get the backland XTD possibly work, even though its a Prime last? I mostly like the small heel pocket of both Atomic boots and the instep of the Hawx is great for my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    @onenerdykid If I like the fit of the Hawx XTD 130, and somewhat the backland carbon (minus the high instep) could I get the backland XTD possibly work, even though its a Prime last? I mostly like the small heel pocket of both Atomic boots and the instep of the Hawx is great for my feet.
    I would need to clarify a few things: Do you mean Hawx Ultra XTD 130, or the Prime XTD 130? Is your foot more lower in volume, or medium volume, or high volume?

The Backland XTD will fit more like a Prime (MV) than an Ultra (LV).

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    My 0.02€ - If you love the fit of a Hawx Ultra, then it is very easy to make a Redster CS 130 work for you. This boot is more stable than an RX 130 (or even an RS 130) and with a couple of extras (dual component lifters and ShockStopper boot board), you will have the same resort freeride weapon that our FWT athletes are using. For a pure resort weapon, nothing beats it.
    This is the debate I'm having. Currently in an ultra 120 and need more boot. How's the instep fit on the CS? I've needed width on the ultra so would assume I'd need significantly more on the CS

Have first gen XTD for my 5 days touring a season

I would need to clarify a few things: Do you mean Hawx Ultra XTD 130, or the Prime XTD 130? Is your foot more lower in volume, or medium volume, or high volume?

The Backland XTD will fit more like a Prime (MV) than an Ultra (LV).
    I have the Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I've never put my foot in a boot with the Prime Last. Currently, my DD boot its the new Transalp Pro that fits the quiver of the new Backland XTD, but the ankle pocket is a little too big for my foot shape after getting some days in it.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    This is the debate I'm having. Currently in an ultra 120 and need more boot. How's the instep fit on the CS? I've needed width on the ultra so would assume I'd need significantly more on the CS

Have first gen XTD for my 5 days touring a season
    Redster CS instep is a little lower vertically, but slightly longer in the heel-to-instep perimeter (the throat of the shell is more open on the CS). Width is super easy to make with a combination of grinding (to thin the plastic a bit) and then stretching as needed. The PU plastic is super easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    I have the Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I've never put my foot in a boot with the Prime Last. Currently, my DD boot its the new Transalp Pro that fits the quiver of the new Backland XTD, but the ankle pocket is a little too big for my foot shape after getting some days in it.
    If an Ultra feels at home, the Backland XTD is most likely going to feel a bit roomy for you. But give it a try on when they hit stores and do a side-by-side comparison with your Transalp. Won't really know for sure until you can dunk your foot into one.

Redster CS instep is a little lower vertically, but slightly longer in the heel-to-instep perimeter (the throat of the shell is more open on the CS). Width is super easy to make with a combination of grinding (to thin the plastic a bit) and then stretching as needed. The PU plastic is super easy to work on.
    Does the shock stopper add any internal height? Instep height might be an issue. I'll find one to try on.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    Does the shock stopper add any internal height? Instep height might be an issue. I'll find one to try on.
    It's the same boot board shape & mold, just with a different material. It's a softer, completely flexible & dense foam that is still fully grindable so if you need to create the usual space by grinding down the boot board it won't get in your way.

Name:  ShockStopper CS.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  16.6 KB

I loved boot boards like that in my old boots. Is there anywhere you can order them or are they dealer only?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    I loved boot boards like that in my old boots. Is there anywhere you can order them or are they dealer only?
    In the US & Canada, they are available only through Atomic dealers and any of them can order some for you. If you are in Euroland, they are available online.

We've got them for Redster CS (Part# AZE001810), Hawx Ultra-Prime-Magna-Prime XTD (Part# AZE001808) and Hawx Ultra XTD (Part# AZE001812).

ONK or other Atomic-knowledgeable folks: are there any significant differences in the shell between a 19/20 hawx prime 130 S and the 20/21 version? I’ll be putting a booster strap on and using my zipfits, so really just trying to figure our if the shells are the same

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    ONK or other Atomic-knowledgeable folks: are there any significant differences in the shell between a 19/20 hawx prime 130 S and the 20/21 version? I’ll be putting a booster strap on and using my zipfits, so really just trying to figure our if the shells are the same
    No changes to the last shape, mold or plastics.

You rock - thanks Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The new 100mm last on the Backland XTD is much more "wide foot-friendly" than any of the previous Backlands; I was able to wear one out of the box for ~4 hours a few nights ago (under Matt's direction) and my right forefoot is around 119mm. It wasn't a cold night but the liner feels much more substantial than other boots in the 1300g range, so hopefully a bit warmer as well.
    Good info, thanks.

Random question that just hit me,

Is the mimic foam Atomic uses a a third party brand and if so is it the same as the mimic foam Specialized started using in their saddles around the same time it showed up in boot liners? Or just coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

Is the mimic foam Atomic uses a a third party brand and if so is it the same as the mimic foam Specialized started using in their saddles around the same time it showed up in boot liners? Or just coincidence.
    I hope so. Given the Specialized Mimic is meant to match lady bits. I want lady bits matched foam wrapping my smelly feet.

Redster CS vs HAWX

Long time listener, first time caller! I've been using the Hoji's as my only boots for the past couple of seasons, but I want more suspension for skiing shitty inbounds snow. I have a wide mid-foot (110mm at 26.5) and a high-ish instep, but relatively skinny ankles/calves. Made the Hoji's work for me with a ton of stretching + opening the throats a bit to help with instep pressure. (I love how locked-down I feel in the Hoji's.)

I -think- I want to go Redster CS for maximum dampening, but I'm concerned I'd have trouble getting a 96mm last to work for my relatively beefy feet. Think it's doable to grind/stretch a Redster CS to fit my 110mm feet? Or would you recommend something in the HAWX line instead?

So I have a 113mm left foot and I have zero issue in a hawx ultra. I’m actually considering bumping up to a redster cs next season just to get that next level of precision and damping. I’ve skied the ultra totally pain free since day 1 thanks to GregL!

A

I currently splitboarding in a heavily punched/stretched Backland in a 27.5 but my ski boots are Hawx Ultra XTD 130s in a 28.5. I couldn't actually get my foot down into the Hawx in a 27.5 at the time but now that I have more miles in an overlap boot should I try it again? Would you expect someone to use the same shell size Backlands and Hawx? I was aggressive in downsizing my first pair of Backlands to reduce toe/heel drag on the splitboard and they came out being my most comfortable mountain boots, I'm now on my 4th pair. I've found myself touring on skis more often than the splitboard this season to better match the people that I'm touring with and am considering the Backland XTDs for next season. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

"Mimic" is actually a heat moldable plastic layer inside the liner. It creates the anatomic ankle & heel shape but is remoldable and hardens in whatever shape you give it (normally your ankle & heel). The foam on the inside the liner is the same as in our older 3D liners of the same level (Platinum to Platinum). Similar to the Big S technology in name only.

I'll post a picture of the material and how it is placed in the liner later this week when I am back in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I hope so. Given the Specialized Mimic is meant to match lady bits. I want lady bits matched foam wrapping my smelly feet.
    Haha, that's the new tag line.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post
    Long time listener, first time caller! I've been using the Hoji's as my only boots for the past couple of seasons, but I want more suspension for skiing shitty inbounds snow. I have a wide mid-foot (110mm at 26.5) and a high-ish instep, but relatively skinny ankles/calves. Made the Hoji's work for me with a ton of stretching + opening the throats a bit to help with instep pressure. (I love how locked-down I feel in the Hoji's.)

I -think- I want to go Redster CS for maximum dampening, but I'm concerned I'd have trouble getting a 96mm last to work for my relatively beefy feet. Think it's doable to grind/stretch a Redster CS to fit my 110mm feet? Or would you recommend something in the HAWX line instead?
    GregL fits his 116mm feet into a 26.5 Redster CS. Lots of work to get it there but definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    I currently splitboarding in a heavily punched/stretched Backland in a 27.5 but my ski boots are Hawx Ultra XTD 130s in a 28.5. I couldn't actually get my foot down into the Hawx in a 27.5 at the time but now that I have more miles in an overlap boot should I try it again? Would you expect someone to use the same shell size Backlands and Hawx? I was aggressive in downsizing my first pair of Backlands to reduce toe/heel drag on the splitboard and they came out being my most comfortable mountain boots, I'm now on my 4th pair. I've found myself touring on skis more often than the splitboard this season to better match the people that I'm touring with and am considering the Backland XTDs for next season. Thanks for the feedback!
    Normally, it tends to go the other way- tighter fit in the alpine boot, slightly more room in the touring boot. But, what is your shell fit like in the 28.5 Ultra? 1cm fit or closer to 2cm?

GregL fits his 116mm feet into a 26.5 Redster CS. Lots of work to get it there but definitely possible.
    Thank you for the feedback - super helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    So I have a 113mm left foot and I have zero issue in a hawx ultra. I’m actually considering bumping up to a redster cs next season just to get that next level of precision and damping. I’ve skied the ultra totally pain free since day 1 thanks to GregL!

A
    Thank you ASP! Got an extra GregL to spare?

Hey ONK, I've been skiing a 26.5 Hawx Ultra XTD this season with a couple shims under the insoles and am considering another pair for inbounds exclusively. The Ultras ski well but feel a little loose over the ankle, shell fit is right about 3/4" so almost 2cm. If I try and size down would it make sense to move to the Hawx Prime or try and make an Ultra work? Or should I stick with a 26.5 and try and fill gaps?