Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Just throwing out there yesterday I was in my ultra s's and hit a little dip going way too fast that I was absolutely sure was gonna pop me, but my boots absorbed the impact and flexed without folding, and I was so impressed at their performance. Probably saved me from a concussion, glad I grabbed these last season for inbounds duty!

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Hawx Ultra XTD v2

Quick Stats
    • Same last as before (no changes)- 98mm/26.5
    • Same out-of-the-box geometry as before- 15° forward lean, 4° ramp angle.
    • Same 54° of cuff ROM.
    • Full PU construction, cuff & shell. No Grilamid, no Pebax, no polypropylene, no polyolefin.
    • Thicker lower shell and thicker cuff for more stability, better damping, more durability for daily resort use.
    • All new Mimic liner construction with our 3D stretch toe box, an adjustable/removeable tongue and a much improved Achilles Flex Zone to match the cuff movement.
    • New ski/walk mechanism allows for 3 forward lean settings (no flip chips) 13°-15°-17°
    • New glued-on Skywalk GripWalk rubber sole ISO 23223 (lower standheight & less weight allow us to go full PU but still keep a respectable weight).
    • Available with an all new, ski boot specific BOA system or traditional buckles (assuming this will be a bigger discussion to follow)
    • Unisex flexes: 130, 120, 110
    • Women’s flexes: 115, 95
    • 1830g / 26.5
    Huh. I've always felt the XTD 130 has a clear niche being lighter and narrower than most 50/50 boots. Maybe it was too much of an in-betweener/easy to overpower at the current ~1500g weight?

Personally, as someone who's happily used the XTD 130 for a few years and is due for a replacement, I'd now have a hard time not going for the XTD LV 130/140 in this higher-weight class. But maybe the XTD 130 still goes uphill better than those?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Huh. I've always felt the XTD 130 has a clear niche being lighter and narrower than most 50/50 boots. Maybe it was too much of an in-betweener/easy to overpower at the current ~1500g weight?

Personally, as someone who's happily used the XTD 130 for a few years and is due for a replacement, I'd now have a hard time not going for the XTD LV 130/140 in this higher-weight class. But maybe the XTD 130 still goes uphill better than those?
    We were finding that most people were using the first gen Ultra XTD as their daily driver in the resort. Given that, it made a lot of sense to up its beefy-ness. But, I would say that with the new liner, it goes uphill more efficiently in comparison to a stock first gen boot. And I would also say the same in comparison to the usual suspects in this category.

I support the new changes. GW has no place on 1500g boots, and 1500g boots have no place in the resort. Putting GW on a boot implies that it will be good inbounds and you need more mass for that. On the flip side, touring on GW soles sucks and I appreciate the full rubber soles on the new Backland XTD.

But, I would say that with the new liner, it goes uphill more efficiently in comparison to a stock first gen boot. And I would also say the same in comparison to the usual suspects in this category.
    Interesting. That def makes it intriguing. Of course, buying the Boa version just to annoy Boa-haters puts you over Lange.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I support the new changes. GW has no place on 1500g boots, and 1500g boots have no place in the resort. Putting GW on a boot implies that it will be good inbounds and you need more mass for that. On the flip side, touring on GW soles sucks and I appreciate the full rubber soles on the new Backland XTD.
    I don't disagree - XTD only works for me inbounds because my hill requires significant time spent walking uphill to access good terrain. And I still added a beefier liner and powerstrap. But I don't think the changes are "bad" at all - more that the new weight class puts the XTD into a pretty crowded field of boots.

Yes and if there is play, you should do it sooner than later
    Frictionless Pivot Set - AZE001164
    (full hardware set for a pair of boots, including screws)

It's kind of like a head tube on a mountain bike in this regard. If you ride a loose headset for too long, you run the risk of ovalizing the head tube and nothing will ever fit properly again. Always best to get new parts in as soon as you notice the slop developing. Definitely try to get a thin-wall socket for the internal nut.
    Yeah I had tried to get the new pivots in early, the process was so difficult I rounded one of the internal nuts and had to give up. Will it ever be possible to have a boot where this part doesn't wear out? All of my boots have it to some degree.

Edit: does the mirror pivot help with that?

Excited for the beefy backland XTD; this is definitely the category of boot I am looking for.

The Atomic Ski Boot Thread

What’s happening with the Ultra 130 boots? Is the Mimic Platinum going in there? Does the Mimic liner add stiffness? Is Mimic Platinum something I can do from home?

I had a pair of Ultra 130 S from a couple years ago, before the lower was beefed up, and couldn’t get past the bellowing but really liked the fit. At the time I was really struggling with my Salomon S/Max 130 carbon - skied great but occasionally killed a ski day over foot pain. After the Atomic experiment failed due to bellowing and vagueness under flex I baked my Salomons a little more aggressively and got them to work without pain. I think the Atomics are probably next depending on how they stack up, stiffness/control wise, against the Salomons. Care to weigh in there? I prefer non-touring boots inbounds because I like simple.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    What’s happening with the Ultra 130 boots? Is the Mimic Platinum going in there? Does the Mimic liner add stiffness? Is Mimic Platinum something I can do from home?

I had a pair of Ultra 130 S from a couple years ago, before the lower was beefed up, and couldn’t get past the bellowing but really liked the fit. At the time I was really struggling with my Salomon S/Max 130 carbon - skied great but occasionally killed a ski day over foot pain. After the Atomic experiment failed due to bellowing and vagueness under flex I baked my Salomons a little more aggressively and got them to work without pain. I think the Atomics are probably next depending on how they stack up, stiffness/control wise, against the Salomons. Care to weigh in there? I prefer non-touring boots inbounds because I like simple.
    With the new beefier construction, regular Hawx Ultra definitely gets around the bellowing issues of the first generation. And what is happening to the Hawx Ultra XTD Mimic Platinum liner is also happening to the Hawx Ultra Mimic Platinum liner (aside from the Achilles' Flex Zone). Plus there is also a Mimic Professional liner (foam injected + Mimic) for Hawx Ultra that adds way more precision and power. It doesn't add "stiffness" per se, but it makes the boot more responsive, stable, and powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Yeah I had tried to get the new pivots in early, the process was so difficult I rounded one of the internal nuts and had to give up. Will it ever be possible to have a boot where this part doesn't wear out? All of my boots have it to some degree.

Edit: does the mirror pivot help with that?

Excited for the beefy backland XTD; this is definitely the category of boot I am looking for.
    The Mirror Pivot is the same hardware and same way it mounts to the shell, it's more of a geometry & positioning tweak that allows the cuff to glide more smoothly.

Do you k ow what the BSL of the XTD in a 25 or 26 will be?

Is the lower buckle on the XTD in the same position as in the current Backlands or is it a a bit higher to pull the foot back into the heel pocket more? Hard to tell from the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Do you k ow what the BSL of the XTD in a 25 or 26 will be?

Is the lower buckle on the XTD in the same position as in the current Backlands or is it a a bit higher to pull the foot back into the heel pocket more? Hard to tell from the pic.
    Backland XTD 26.5 = 297mm
    Hawx Ultra XTD 26.5 = 302mm

The instep strap on the Backland XTD is roughly in the same place as the current Backland. If we go any higher it will start to interfere with the cuff ROM and that's no bueno. I think you'll find it to be in a good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Holee shit, even have my size in stock. Wtf is CTD? Would need a bootfitter,though. Or a clear go-ahead from ONK that hot air ovenwork is fine.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Holee shit, even have my size in stock. Wtf is CTD? Would need a bootfitter,though. Or a clear go-ahead from ONK that hot air ovenwork is fine.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com
    This boot never really officially made it to market, but apparently Level 9 got their hands on some. "CTD" is our digitally connected power strap that is a Carv on steroids. Unfortunately, there are issues on the app end and it doesn't work, but the boot is a legit CS 130 in a unique color way. I would get it just for that and put on a Professional Dual Strap.

Will the Hawx Prime XTD also get the full PU treatment?

Any news of a Hawx Magna XTD in the future?

This thread is cool.

Thanks for taking the time to give us this information.

Cost on the hawx mimic professional?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Red is faster. Even within the same boot line…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	761BA728-7044-46E0-B065-64B5769AE77B.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	443631
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC956FE8-EEAD-45C9-A0E7-81F9DD488CB2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	443632

Love my Hawx Ultras, keep the info flowing OneNerdyKid!!

These changes look great and answer most of my concerns I had with the original XTD 130. Even the taupe color scheme looks cool, even if I think there should be a Redster freeride boot (maybe we can get a XTD 140 in Red, I know wishful thinking). Although, it will take some serious reviews before it gets me to switch back from the current Cochise that replaced it. I’m guessing with the switch to PU, it should be a consistent 130 flex with good rebound as I used to blow through the flex when I hit a mogul on the OG XTD. 1800 grams is about right for the category, which I will describe more as 80/20 than what everyone calls 50/50. Let’s be honest, very few who get a boot to use in the resort uses it 50% in the backcountry. Most who ski that much BC have a dedicated boot for it.

^or they tour to things where access isn’t long or they prefer ski performance. Keep in mind that these boots walk better than most things ten years ago and ski ten times better. Most people around here don’t tour on ultralight boots.

Precisely - it's now exactly on par with regular Hawx Ultra.
    I'm confused about the fit of the new Hawx Ultra XTD.

I have a 20/21 Hawx Ultra XTD 120 and a first-gen 130 XTD. I like them for touring. 120 even more - I came to the conclusion that I don't need the stiffest boot for touring. But they're weak for regular resort use.

But their fit is almost excellent.

If I want to add a new Hawx Ultra XTD as a resort and travel boot to my quiver, what changes should I expect in terms of fit?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Will the Hawx Prime XTD also get the full PU treatment?
    Already is in 22/23!

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    If I want to add a new Hawx Ultra XTD as a resort and travel boot to my quiver, what changes should I expect in terms of fit?
    Slightly more toe room but still feeling like you are in the correct size & overall fit.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Any news of a Hawx Magna XTD in the future?
    Sounds like an interesting idea...

Already is in 22/23!
    Thanks! Including the 130? Both Evo and Backcountry list the 130 as PA but the 120 as PU. Atomic’s website (at least on my phone) doesn’t seem to specify unless I’m missing something. Prolite is a construction technique not material, right?