Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    I just read in some women-specific gear review blog that atomic went with different cuff heights on unisex models of boots. Smaller sizes will get a smaller cuff.

I only knew this was true for Redster CS 110 (24.5 and shorter had a lower cuff). And the info was on Atomic site. I can’t find it on the boots page anymore.

So it makes me wonder if I need a 24.5 unisex shell - what cuff will I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    I just read in some women-specific gear review blog that atomic went with different cuff heights on unisex models of boots. Smaller sizes will get a smaller cuff.

I only knew this was true for Redster CS 110 (24.5 and shorter had a lower cuff). And the info was on Atomic site. I can’t find it on the boots page anymore.

Yeah, I hate this concept. Way to assume what gender I am just because of the fact that I have size 24. Or are they assuming I have low calves? Either way it ruins a good boot. I can tell you that most women that are looking for a low volume 130 flex touring boot in small sizes don't have the "athletic calf" that warrants a low cuff and that a scalloped liner cuff would be more than adequate.

But is this actually true Matt? I didn't think a 24 hawx ultra xtd was forced into the short cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post

A few years ago, we did the CS 110 with a low cuff from 21-24 and a regular cuff from 25-29 but now (since 21/22) all sizes from 22-29 are with the regular cuff. Only size 21 is a low cuff.

With the Hawx Ultra XTD 130, we offer unisex cuff from 24-29 and the women's cuff on 22-23. We just don't have a regular cuff in 22-23.

Looks like I’m safe!) thanx for info!

Onenerdykid - who can we beg, bribe, blackmail to get the Backland XTD in an Ultra fit? My beloved Zero G Tour Pros are pretty much dead, and there is really nothing to replace them with that fits similarly thats skis anywhere close to as well, and tours better, even though the Zero G is like 4-5 years old now. I tried on a Hawx Prime XTD today hoping the fit wouldn't be as horrible on me as I thought it would, but it is. No way I could make it work. I know low volume AT boots are considered a small part of the market, but for a performance oriented boot I just don't get it... You can make shells roomier, you can't make them smaller...

How many days are people getting on alpine mimic liners? I have about 20 days in my hawx ultras now are the are getting loose. I am starting to add foam on the tongue and need to do xpads next. Any others tricks to tighten back up?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How many days are people getting on alpine mimic liners? I have about 20 days in my hawx ultras now are the are getting loose. I am starting to add foam on the tongue and need to do xpads next. Any others tricks to tighten back up?
    Bontex insole shim. I got about the same number of days on mine but kept on trying to make it work for about a dozen more.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How many days are people getting on alpine mimic liners? I have about 20 days in my hawx ultras now are the are getting loose.
    I am starting to add foam on the tongue and need to do xpads next. Any others tricks to tighten back up?
    same - I thought I was imagining it, but definitely getting more foot move.

I'm trying to score some zipfits to possibly remedy.

FWIW, I've got about 75-80 days in my current Hawx XTD and haven't noticed any liner breakdown. I put about twice that on my last pair and the liners hadn't packed out enough to be problematic, but I'd killed the sole blocks and the liners had enough wear from pulling them in and out of the boots that I just bought a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    regular Hawx Ultra was updated with a new mold construction for 21/22, and were carried over (meaning no changes) into 22/23.

New liner tech coming for 23/24 (same main updates that Hawx Ultra XTD got, minus the Achilles flex zone)
    Does the regular Ultra get a new Mimic Professional without the flex zone? What are the changes in that liner? I tried the 2021 version and it did not lock my heel like my Sidas foam liners.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Does the regular Ultra get a new Mimic Professional without the flex zone? What are the changes in that liner? I tried the 2021 version and it did not lock my heel like my Sidas foam liners.
    Yes - ALL Mimic Professional liners are updated for 23/24 season with new microfiber outer materials & new internal constructions to offer a tighter fit and a longer lasting fit. New microfiber outers (basically a synthetic leather) are thicker & more supple, better following the contours of the foot and shell wall. We've also changed the internal layups to offer more hold from mid-foot to heel. The overall idea is still the same but now with the improvements that come with a second generation arising from people's feedback.

Yes - ALL Mimic Professional liners are updated for 23/24 season with new microfiber outer materials & new internal constructions to offer a tighter fit and a longer lasting fit. New microfiber outers (basically a synthetic leather) are thicker & more supple, better following the contours of the foot and shell wall. We've also changed the internal layups to offer more hold from mid-foot to heel. The overall idea is still the same but now with the improvements that come with a second generation arising from people's feedback.
    How long should we expect 1st gen mimic pro's to last? Ditto for 2nd gen.

I know there's a lot of people complaining about the Prime fit instead of Ultra, but is there any real-world feedback on the performance of the Backland XTD 120? Is it really a step forward in performance?

Walks like a Skorpius and skis better? Progressive flex? Better than a Vulcan sans tongue? The stupid Vulcan is 10 years old, you'd think it would be obsolete by now.

Wish I could fondle a pair now -- lots of skiing left this season.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Great question, I’d be curious about that too.

I’m 100 days into my gen 1, it packed out a bit so I dropped a LV tongue in (1 size up) and it rejuvenated the fit again.

I am in a Cochise which is a high volume ankle and have a pretty standard foot so I’m sure that has something to do with it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How long should the cuff pivots last? My backlands started getting loose after about 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    At this point in the long game, maximum longevity is still hard to predict. On one hand, there are people with 200+ days in first gen liners with no complaints and some people with issues after 100. Part of the explanation could be due to boot fitters not following our instructions resulting in an incomplete fill, or issues with the foam filling the bladder. Hard to say. As is the case with most any new thing, now that more fitters have more experience with the product and with the process, there are way more happy skiers than in the early days.

With my personal "23/24" version, I've got roughly 150 days on mine so far and I don't have any need for a new version or going up to the thicker, LV tongue. I think the improvements with this generation will close the gap on any complaints/shortcomings people have had.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    How long should the cuff pivots last? My backlands started getting loose after about 5 days.
    That shouldn't happen, something sounds off. I would bring it to your local Atomic dealer and have them take a gander.

At this point in the long game, maximum longevity is still hard to predict. On one hand, there are people with 200+ days in first gen liners with no complaints and some people with issues after 100. Part of the explanation could be due to boot fitters not following our instructions resulting in an incomplete fill, or issues with the foam filling the bladder. Hard to say. As is the case with most any new thing, now that more fitters have more experience with the product and with the process, there are way more happy skiers than in the early days.

With my personal "23/24" version, I've got roughly 150 days on mine so far and I don't have any need for a new version or going up to the thicker, LV tongue. I think the improvements with this generation will close the gap on any complaints/shortcomings people have had.
    Totally makes sense, thanks for the insight. For your reference:
    - I'm at about 100 days on gen 1 and it's definitely not gripping my heel like it did initially, but certainly not sloppy yet. Those are a long 100 days too - many bell to bell days skiing as hard as I can.
    - The shop that did mine initially gave me a women's liner for the left foot, a men's liner for the right foot...so I wouldn't bet on them doing the filling process perfectly.

Overall I love the liner and have recommended it to many people. However, given how much I ski I think I might jump to ZipFit next. The idea of being able to adjust fit over time by adding cork is really intriguing to me (I like to fiddle with things).

Also, I got a set of the pro dual straps. Damn those things are amazing, way better than boosters.

For the outgoing Hawx Ultra XTD, what's the call on 120 vs 130? I currently ski the S/Max 130 (very happy) and Zero G Tour Pro (just ok) and I'm thinking of dropping the ZGTP for the Hawx before the heavier version comes in. The Hawx Ultra XTD 120 has a PU cuff while the 130 uses PA. On the shop floor, the 120 felt more progressive (and easier on the wallet), but will it be underpowered?

Also @onenerdykid what's the deal with the little ridges below the walk mode? They look like they'd interfere with crampons. Safe to file them off if it's a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by skimeow View Post
    For the outgoing Hawx Ultra XTD, what's the call on 120 vs 130? I currently ski the S/Max 130 (very happy) and Zero G Tour Pro (just ok) and I'm thinking of dropping the ZGTP for the Hawx before the heavier version comes in. The Hawx Ultra XTD 120 has a PU cuff while the 130 uses PA. On the shop floor, the 120 felt more progressive (and easier on the wallet), but will it be underpowered?

Also @onenerdykid what's the deal with the little ridges below the walk mode? They look like they'd interfere with crampons. Safe to file them off if it's a problem?
    Outgoing Ultra XTD 120 & 130 use the same "130" lower shell- the difference is purely in the cuff. But, even with the same shell, a softer/stiffer cuff will have an impact on how the shell will behave. Not a huge amount, but it is noticeable. Also, the 120 (PU) cuff will stiffen more in the cold than the 130 (PA) cuff so it will feel a little more powerful once it is outside.

You shouldn't have too many incompatibilities with the heel area of the shell (that area is normed for crampons) but I'm sure there are some crampons that work/play nicer than others. I wouldn't grind anything away from the plastic of the shell in order to make a crampon fit.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.16.52 AM.png
Views: 930
Size:  659.4 KB

You're right, the ridges prevent the lever from snugging up against the shell, but it's solidly flipped in the engaged position. It just looks a bit funny, but it seems fine.

This shop in Calgary actually has some Backland XTDs in stock already, size 26-28. I actually called and talked to them, and they really do have them. The employee I talked to said everyone there that had been in them was quite impressed. She had skied them, she said the heel and ankle felt fairly similar the the Hawk XTD Ultra she normally wears, but the mid foot was definitely higher volume. If they had a 25 I'd consider ordering a pair, although I'm still concerned they're going to be too high volume.

https://www.skiwest.ca/atomic-backla...ml?id=93375571

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    This shop in Calgary actually has some Backland XTDs in stock already, size 26-28. I actually called and talked to them, and they really do have them. The employee I talked to said everyone there that had been in them was quite impressed. She had skied them, she said the heel and ankle felt fairly similar the the Hawk XTD Ultra she normally wears, but the mid foot was definitely higher volume. If they had a 25 I'd consider ordering a pair, although I'm still concerned they're going to be too high volume.

https://www.skiwest.ca/atomic-backla...ml?id=93375571
    Agreed - the toebox is also higher volume.

eagerly awaiting the weekend to ski after upgrading my boots and getting fitted for the Hawx Ultra Pro (many thanks to GregL). onenerdykid out of curiosity, what is the reason for the power strap to be slightly rotated so the dual strap element favoring the inside shin of each leg respectively? Naively I would have thought it would be centered.

I also noticed you said that the straps should sit so the top is directly on the tongue and the lower portion is on the plastic cuff - I found that mine wanted to settle with the lower strap over the top buckle. Do I just give it a firm tug to properly sit higher?
    many thanks for your activeness and responses to the community qs

Quote Originally Posted by fbw360 View Post
    eagerly awaiting the weekend to ski after upgrading my boots and getting fitted for the Hawx Ultra Pro (many thanks to GregL). onenerdykid out of curiosity, what is the reason for the power strap to be slightly rotated so the dual strap element favoring the inside shin of each leg respectively? Naively I would have thought it would be centered.

I also noticed you said that the straps should sit so the top is directly on the tongue and the lower portion is on the plastic cuff - I found that mine wanted to settle with the lower strap over the top buckle. Do I just give it a firm tug to properly sit higher?
    many thanks for your activeness and responses to the community qs
    The Professional Dual Strap should sit slightly medially (inside) when untightened but then when you tighten it, it should become more centered on the cuff/liner tongue. If, after tightening, yours is still sitting too medially, then you should be able to reposition the strap (there are two pre-made sets of holes on the back of the strap where it mounts to the cuff). You can make your own holes in the strap too, no issue there.

Ideally, the top half of the strap sits on the liner tongue and the lower half sits on the cuff. If you need to slightly slide it up to clear the buckle/toothplate, that's fine too.