Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This is my pick currently as well. So much so that I'm liquidating all of my under 100 options. If you can put up with the progressive mount it's just so, so fun. Gripppppp
    If you can deal with a center mount - frankenski is the jam. That ski gets no love on TGR, but it’s awesome
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    4FRNT MSP99?

If you're looking for something purely directional and stiff you should take a look at the Moment Commander 98 as well.

1978 Dynamic VR17 SL in a 207
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I am in the same boat. Really happy with BG and MFree 108s.

Just moved my Bonafides along because I got tired of having to be on top of them all the time.

I have an MPro 90 for strictly groom.

I am finding I generally don’t click with the Bavarian made skis. I want to try the MPro 99, Deathwish 104, and maybe Praxis Slugger.

Maybe I would just be wasting money though because I have the feeling I would just keep grabbing the MFree 108.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Going to try and get on asps r99s and hopefully seatowns m102s. I am very directional and prefer traditional mounted skis that I can drive. Had my supergoats out tonight at alpental in 4” and I love how that ski mows down everything in its path with no speed limit but can still be shutdown and pivot as needed. Looking for a similar experience in my 100mm ski.

My Wrenegade 96's pretty much suck on hard snow and I'm trying to replace them. I love my Cease and Desists when it is deep and my Deathwishes when it is soft. Seems like we are in a similar boat, however like someone said this hasn't really been an issue in Utah yet this year. Maybe if I keep shopping for a sub 100 metal ski it will keep snowing...

Surprised to not see many recs for the commander 98, this is the main ski I have been considering for this role, especially living somewhere that the hard snow is never really that hard..

I am happy so far with the Heritage Labs R87.

Might be worth reaching out to Marshal and chatting about the R87 or R99.
    He may even be able to help you narrow down between other skis on the market as he is very knowledgeable. But it's also cool to support his project if that meets your needs.

What about the Blizzard Brahma 88?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    My Wrenegade 96's pretty much suck on hard snow and I'm trying to replace them. I love my Cease and Desists when it is deep and my Deathwishes when it is soft. Seems like we are in a similar boat, however like someone said this hasn't really been an issue in Utah yet this year. Maybe if I keep shopping for a sub 100 metal ski it will keep snowing...

Surprised to not see many recs for the commander 98, this is the main ski I have been considering for this role, especially living somewhere that the hard snow is never really that hard..
    I'm definitely interested in the C98 for this role. I don't have any personal experience with Moment skis but appreciate Melee on the board. Will have to look for a deal on them.

+1 on metal.

I ride a masterblaster on the low tide days
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

I was in the market for a 100 waist metal ski earlier this year and it never came up on any of the review sites. I was going back and forth on all the usual suspects before hitting up Moment's site, finding a write up on here, and getting some positive feedback on it in the Moment thread. Absolutely zero regrets about pulling the trigger and I hate to admit it but I even look forward to groomers now. She's a keeper.

My Wrenegade 96's pretty much suck on hard snow and I'm trying to replace them.
    try wren with titanal. It lacks nothing for grip. The camber will still be fairly symmeetrical so not ultra loose like mf99s, but still heella loose in soft snow.

Any on3p is pretty much a soft snow ski irregardless of width imho. They are not designed to be festive on hard snow - more geet you betweeen patches, but to be narrower skis that are still loose and fun in soft snow. None of the wrens I've owned have been engaging carvers as such, or my wren96tis perhaps were, but man - get them in anything soft.

I also like mantra102s, but found them to be way more unbalanced, and found it too easy to push into their mid/shorter radius, making them turny. I would want to try a wren102ti over the new mantra102.

You can buy a 188 Salomon Stance 96 for a song on levelnine currently. I love how this ski can carve at Uber high speeds on the groomers, yet is still fun on fresh and soft. Crud and bumps are no problem either.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    More cowbell!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    try wren with titanal. It lacks nothing for grip. The camber will still be fairly symmeetrical so not ultra loose like mf99s, but still heella loose in soft snow.

Any on3p is pretty much a soft snow ski irregardless of width imho. They are not designed to be festive on hard snow - more geet you betweeen patches, but to be narrower skis that are still loose and fun in soft snow. None of the wrens I've owned have been engaging carvers as such, or my wren96tis perhaps were, but man - get them in anything soft.

I also like mantra102s, but found them to be way more unbalanced, and found it too easy to push into their mid/shorter radius, making them turny. I would want to try a wren102ti over the new mantra102.
    This happened to me on the old m102 and then I sized up and never happened again. Just intuitive and smooth for me now and very well balanced, even when mounted on the line. Not saying you should size up, just one perspective.

I demoed some stance 96s right before the pandemic and they skied fine but felt kind of dead. I see levelnine has stance 102s for $410 as well. These are supposed to be burlier but hesitant to buy without a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by spudbumkin View Post
    You can buy a 188 Salomon Stance 96 for a song on levelnine currently. I love how this ski can carve at Uber high speeds on the groomers, yet is still fun on fresh and soft. Crud and bumps are no problem either.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I demoed some stance 96s right before the pandemic and they skied fine but felt kind of dead. I see levelnine has stance 102s for $410 as well. These are supposed to be burlier but hesitant to buy without a demo.
    Corbetts has them for $360 usd. I had them on order but switched order to mantra 102 before they shipped. Still super curious about stance 102 but crazy happy with m102

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post

Ditto. I demo'd some at Panorama over christmas. What a disappointing ski. Just.............every level of meh.

I have my Black Crows Captis for low tide, and the rip. Groomers, bumps, trees, whatever. Perfect blend of playfulness, edgehold and weight. No metal. Will charge through crud pretty well, but if theres a lot of that our is it really a low tide?

M Pro 90 was a lot of fun the other day.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Evo has bonafides on sale including some 189s. Very tempted but need to get on a set of r99s first, hopefully this weekend.

Continue to be impressed with the AM R99. It’s so versatile

Finding a no new snow ski for the PNW/Coastal BC has been a struggle for me. Given the warmer temperatures and wetter snow we get, snow seems to set up hard as soon as it is skied, as opposed to becoming chopped but soft like you see in colder/drier places. As a result, I have found that some of the stiffer, straighter skis that require some runway to come alive don't work so well, unless you're sticking to groomers.

My current 2-ski resort quiver includes 186 M-Pro 99s and 192 M-Free 108s. The M-Pro 99s aren't a burly charger, but they have flat tails and a more traditional shape. I find they can feel like a lot of ski in skied-out snow, and I actually prefer them when the snow is fresh and smooth (unless we're talking groomers). I'd rather be on the M-Free 108s for finding stashes and in dust on crust, just because they're more maneuverable.
    Last edited by D(C); 01-24-2023 at 07:50 PM.

D(C)

I think you mean M-Pro 99s?

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    D(C)

I think you mean M-Pro 99s?

Correct. Edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Finding a no new snow ski for the PNW/Coastal BC has been a struggle for me. Given the warmer temperatures and wetter snow we get, snow seems to set up hard as soon as it is skied, as opposed to becoming chopped but soft like you see in colder/drier places. As a result, I have found that some of the stiffer, straighter skis that require some runway to come alive don't work so well, unless you're sticking to groomers.

My current 2-ski resort quiver includes 186 M-Pro 99s and 192 M-Free 108s. The M-Pro 99s aren't a burly charger, but they have flat tails and a more traditional shape. I find they can feel like a lot of ski in skied-out snow, and I actually prefer them when the snow is fresh and smooth (unless we're talking groomers). I'd rather be on the M-Free 108s for finding stashes and in dust on crust, just because they're more maneuverable.
    I feel like a broken record at this point but for exactly what you're describing, I couldn't recommend more the ON3P Wren 102ti. It's pretty stiff, but has a huge amount of front rocker, decent amount of tail rocker to stay fairly maneuverable, all while being ridiculously damp. I'm talking WAY more damp than their standard layup. Completely crushes any and all the shit hard sticky snow and groomers we have here and still can surf soft stashes you might come across.

Can't for the life of me figure why more people on here don't freak out about this ski.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

The wren Ti were on the radar but I am gun shy on the torsional stiffness.

I got out on ASPs r99 am today in a nice mix of firm groomed, 1-2” on packed snow and few day old sold but setup crud today that was colder and dryer but pretty representative of the conditions I want these for.
    I started out in some soft over firm with a mix of bumps and chalk underneath. The skis performed well here, the shape offered a nice mix of holding a turn and slid ability that might be slightly improved with a bit of tip detune.
    When I hit some groomed sections they had great grip and rebound with good flexibility in turn shapes.
    I then explored some of the more open cut up snow in some bowls. In the smoother sections the skis felt good but as I tried to make bigger turns with more crud like snow I found the skis bouncing around quite a bit. The combination of softer tips and lots of rebound meant I could not charge through this the way I am looking for. At slower speeds and picking lines they felt good but I couldn’t open up the speed the way I want to. I expect this would be even more noticeable in heavier snow.
    In more bumped up terrain the shape felt good and I was able to make all the turn shapes I wanted with a good mix of holding a turn and sliding the tail but I felt like there was a bit more rebound than desired as I tried to increase speeds.
    I swapped out to my goliaths mid day and by comparision they were more damp and less energetic especially through the crud but had noticeably less edge hold (might be tune related) and much stronger harder to pivot tails. They hand flex maybe 10% stiffer everywhere but the tails where it is probably closer to 15-20% stiffer. The shape of the r99s is much more versatile allowing easier smaller turns both carved and slid while still being stable in longer turns in smooth snow.
    At the end of the day, I think I am looking for a bit more powerful and damper ski that more closely complements my style. I think a little bit stiffer but a lot more damping would be my ideal even though this would sacrifice groomed performance.
    My on3ps do the plow through the crud thing really well without feeling like a crazy demanding ski and I am looking for something a bit closer to that but the narrow one I tried did not have enough edge hold.

This is the same message I sent Marshall so curious his thoughts on bumping up to the comp build. Also very tempted on last years bonafide from evo on sale but those likely get cheaper in 2 weeks.