Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PNW no new snow ski

Rehashing this again. I am looking for the narrower ski in a 2 ski inbounds quiver to go with my supergoats for mostly skiing at snoqualmie. I have well used goliaths that I like but are getting worn and don’t like to turn in small spaces. I also bought and have for sale woodsman 102s that are a bit more soft snow biased than I would prefer here, I want something with more edge bite and willing to put in more work to get it.
    Current top thoughts are heritage r99s that I am working on getting out for a test am or comp build, mindbender 99ti 191 the first version, mantra 102 191, or bonafide 189s.
    Long ski demos are non existent so looking for comparisons on these in these lengths, borrowing opportunities or deals.

H lab R99. Volkl M102. Mpro99. The H lab r99 AM is pretty sick. The comp should be more sickter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Deathwish 104

I owned some ON3P skis and loved them in fresh, but got frustrated with how terrible they felt on anything remotely hard. When skiing resort you inevitably encounter hard snow regardless of conditions. So I sold the ON3P skis and downsized to a 2-ski quiver of Salomon skis: QST 92 (184cm) and QST Blank (186cm). I really enjoy the 92s on low-tide PNW days.

Observations about the 92s:

- if you find surprise soft stuff they float really well for their width given the bit of rocker that they do have
    - TI and double sidewall underfoot so you can really press into them
    - accepts a neutral or driving stance
    - feel pretty balanced while in the air for a ski that's roughly 8cm back from center
    - speed limit is probably around 60mph or so

I mounted mine with CAST and enjoy them everywhere. The Blanks are also mounted with CAST. I feel like these are the only two skis I need.

You sound like you need substantially stiffer skis than me though, so I would vote for the mindbender 99s TIs. I have a ski patrol buddy who only owns those skis and swears by them. If you are looking for something more playful than the options you've listed the QST 98s also come in a 189cm length. I swear I'm not a Salomon rep, the skis just really jive with me.

Any metal lam, 98 waist, EU made ski - Bonafide, MX98, Mantra, MPro99, Stormrider 95, etc…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I am basically settled on the 100ish metal ski and wondering how different they really are or if I should just buy what I can get a deal on in my size.
    Also very curious on an r99 vs the majors comparison especially since marshals prices are very reasonable.

Enforcers- 94 or 100. Or 104. It’s surprising how good these skis are at being well rounded and super fun for when there’s no snow. I have a pair of 93’s that I’ve skied in up to 6” of new and they did fine. They carve super well, do well in chop, and with the right amount of pressure can break away when I want them to.

depending on yer BSL happy to let you hop on my 191 M102s for a test spin. mounted for a 320 w/ sth2 so should work if your in a 27-29 boot.

Interested in this thread. Some thoughts are Mindbender 99 Ti, DW104, Declivity 102 Ti, Blade Optic 96/104. Agreed on the ON3Ps being no fun in anything frozen.

Enforcer 100 in 191 has been working well for me in the recent Alpental schizophrenic conditions.

M-Pro 99 didn't bite it for me. Too light, too tapered, too much tip rocker. I have a brand new M-Pro 105 for sale but it might be a bit too much of a ski. I'm a huge fan of Katana 108 in 191. I liked it so much everywhere that I sold M6 Mantra. Keep in mind, we didn't have "no new snow" conditions this season here in UT.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

PNW no new snow ski

My low-tide skis this year are:

180cm Season Aero 96mm

179cm Enforcer 88mm

Pretty happy when I go to grab either of these. If a ski is not “hell yeah” when I go to grab it then it should not be in the quiver.

We don’t ever do all groomer days, so my low tide skis should be able to handle anything at WB.

The Season Aero is mounted around -3cm, it’s so fun, but still grippy. More playful than the Enforcer.

The E88 is mounted at -7cm and it f’ing rips ice. Yet is not a plank like some other skis I’ve tried. PS I’m sure the E94 is an awesome ski too.

Also have 180cm ARV106s and 184cm 4FRNT Ravens which both get used when there’s been no new in a while.

Last edited by kc_7777; 01-18-2023 at 06:55 PM.

I'm on the ARV 106, ride at Stevens Pass. They're really more hard snow focused than anything given the camber length, weight and stiffness. Works fine in several inches of soft as well, they just prefer to bust through everything. Also very forward mounted/twin tippy FYI.

I find edge grip to be plenty, but I am on the 188s (185.5 straight pull). At this length, they definitely feel planky in tight situations but I make due. Depending on your size and skill, 180 might be a better bet for smaller mountains like Snoqualmie while still having enough edge bite. I decided to go with 188s for the trips to Whistler. And also cuz this is TGR.

Definitely still looking for a wider ski for the deep days to complement the 106s.

Same boat as you, trying to decide whether to hold on to the AM99 or M102.

Maybe we will have opposite preferences and I can buy the pair you don’t want.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    Same boat as you, trying to decide whether to hold on to the AM99 or M102.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Maybe we will have opposite preferences and I can buy the pair you don’t want.
    Exactly, I'm skiing the m102 in a 184 though!

Snoqualmie skier here too. If you want to get another ON3P, Wren Ti's destroy bad conditions. Nothing like the woods I had on firm.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

PNW no new snow ski

I have the mindbender 99 191s. They are a one-dimensional ski, don’t like slow speeds or tight spaces and need to be driven hard. Kind of hooky in crud or heavy snow. They’d be a great ski at Big Sky, maybe not the most ideal ski for snoqualmie. I only use them a few days a year (based out of hood).

m102s are getting lots of love here and you also can’t go wrong with bonafides. Wish I still had a pair of bones.

You might like the DW104 - firm snow bias and great edgehold. Feel light underfoot but surprisingly damp and stiff for the weight. They have a pretty progressive mount point, so that would be different than your other skis. I bought them for this exact reason - to try something new in the low tide slot of the quiver.

My final recommendation: Buy a pair of heritage r99s, write up a review, and give me one more reason to buy a pair...

M102

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

M102 x whatever the recommendation number is

183 Bonifide 97s for me. Prefer the short size for around here.
    Other skis for the resort are 192 M-Free 108 and Billy Goats.

I could also probably be really happy on an M-Pro 99, Unleashed 99, or rustler 9.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I have the mindbender 99 191s. They are a one-dimensional ski, don’t like slow speeds or tight spaces and need to be driven hard. Kind of hooky in crud or heavy snow. They’d be a great ski at Big Sky, maybe not the most ideal ski for snoqualmie. I only use them a few days a year (based out of hood).

m102s are getting lots of love here and you also can’t go wrong with bonafides. Wish I still had a pair of bones.

You might like the DW104 - firm snow bias and great edgehold. Feel light underfoot but surprisingly damp and stiff for the weight. They have a pretty progressive mount point, so that would be different than your other skis. I bought them for this exact reason - to try something new in the low tide slot of the quiver.

My final recommendation: Buy a pair of heritage r99s, write up a review, and give me one more reason to buy a pair...
    Interesting info on MB99s. I bought a 184 at a swap and was going to use it in this role. Hope to have more feedback on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I am basically settled on the 100ish metal ski and wondering how different they really are or if I should just buy what I can get a deal on in my size.
    Also very curious on an r99 vs the majors comparison especially since marshals prices are very reasonable.
    The AM R99 is pretty great. It’s got a very high end but is pretty easy to slash and dump speed. Carves really well and is exceptionally well behaved at all but ludicrous speeds in terrible crud. I’m sure the comp build will add that extra umph but it probably won’t be the ski you instinctively grab.

I’m 6’ 5” and #245. I don’t ski as well as some but I couldn’t ask for a more well rounded ski

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Deathwish 104
    This is my pick currently as well. So much so that I'm liquidating all of my under 100 options. If you can put up with the progressive mount it's just so, so fun. Gripppppp

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Interesting info on MB99s. I bought a 184 at a swap and was going to use it in this role. Hope to have more feedback on it soon.
    184 is a lot different than the 191, from what I hear. No data to support that though.