Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Touring boots between beef and lean

Hi all--hoping for some input on what next boots to check out.

I'm looking for a boot that isn't super stiff (say 100-120 flex alpine) but skis and walks well. However, I don't want to go with an ultralight boot. I prefer more durability in shell, soles, and components. I need a full height cuff. Even with a less than super burly flex, I hope the boot lowers won't bulge excessively and ruin the cuff pivots. Not going to quote a specific weight since I'm willing to compromise in that area if other aspects are good.

My past boots kind of reflect that in-between preference: I've enjoyed Dynafit Mercury (eventually I stopped using the tongues) and Neo (pebax version)--gripes were with the garbage soles on both of those. My current "beef" boots are MTN Explore, 3 seasons old at this point. I think they ski fine with better liners, but the fit is overly roomy in the heel and tight in the toes (needed width punches), and the walk mode is limited. I have Atomic Backlands and they are good for volcanoes, but I'm looking for more in the next purchase.

Things on the radar: Zero G Scout, Transalp Pro, Radical, Scott Cosmos, dare I say Maestrale RS? Hawx looks ok but I prefer to avoid gripwalk soles.

(Of course fit is important. I've always needed punches for 6th toe width, but something which fits my med-wide splayed toes, long 1st toe, and otherwise medium, flat foot is good. But I'll figure out fit later.)

Any thoughts?

Try on boots in the 1300- 1500 range to see what fits
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Personal preference territory here for sure. But I’m psyched on the TransAlp for this category.

My foot shape sounds similar to yours. I have to punch my 26.5 Hawx Ultras for big toe length, 6th toe width, and Haglund’s.

My 27.5 TransAlps are skiable with no punches, but probably need a big toe punch on my bigger foot to be perfect. Like all my recent boots, I’ve swapped the stock liner for a HV Intuition to improve heel hold/fit. HV ProTours in a 27 for these boots, molded with a fat ass toe cap of duct tape to provide extra touring forefoot wiggle room.

Flex seems like a legit 110 and ramps up nicely, way less harsh than my old Hawx XTD 130s.

The friction through the ROM on the uphill is minimal, and they weigh about 1400 gm with the HV liners and footbeds added.

I may try Booster straps at some point but the stock power strap is pretty nice too.

Thanks.
    I guess my question was less about fit and more about ski and touring ability of this class of boots.
    DGamms, sounds good.

Been in the ZG Scout for a few seasons. I think it fits this role well.

Narrower heel, 99mm last, plastic cuff instead of the carbonated one in the Pros which might make em smoother alongside the 10 pts deduction in stiffness.

1510g with Intuition Pro Tour @ 26.5. Buckles and pivots have held up well.

I have Backland carbons and beefier Langes but I pretty much never use either. These Tecnicas have enough backbone to ski wet-side chowder with big skis and walk well enough for longer stuff and volcanoes. If they fit, I bet you'd dig em, Kam.

Thanks, Scott, that's a solid endorsement. The less carbon materials actually seem more and more appealing with time. I prefer smooth flex in touring conditions.

Skorpius II should be on your radar if you want something lighter that walks amazing and skis well above its weight class.

If you are looking for something in the 1500g range that isn't a 130 flex, I would definitely look for something with a PU (for the clog/shoe/lower). PU seems to have the most alpine-like progressive flex, all other things equal. Radical seems like a top choice from what I've heard. Older models of the 120 flex boots used to be PU, but I think the market has moved more heavily toward grilamid for weight reasons. It seems like people didn't want a softer, heavier boot when they could have a stiffer lighter boot for $100 more.

So my shortlist would be:
    Radical
    Transalp Pro
    Skorpius

I know the Hawx Ultra XTD 120 used to be PU but I'm not sure after Atomic re-did their touring lineup. IIRC the original Hoji Pro Tour was PU lower, but I think all iterations of the Hoji free are now grilamid.

I do not find that the Zero G boots walk particularly well for their weight, but everybody's anatomy is different.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Hoji 110 free

ZG Scout with Zipfit GFT walks and skis like a dream. I used the stock liner for the first 3 or 4 years I had the boot and switched to the GFTs this season. Wish I had done so earlier--minor weight and ROM penalty with huge improvements in downhill performance. The shell is also incredibly durable in my experience. I've put ~300 days on mine and aside from some missing sole chunks and typical scuffs and scrapes, they're still in great shape.

I have the ZG Scout (all green version from a few years back). I picked it for it's (relative) low weight and the fact that I like PU better than carbon in the cuff. Previous boot was a Scarpa F1. I still have the stock liner in the Scout which is okay but could be better. I've worked to improve the downhill performance. Put in a full-length shim under the liner to get a tighter fit. Put in a modest heel lift which helps me feel more balanced. Always felt a bit flat footed prior to that. Put in a beefier spoiler and added a flexible pad from an old pair of Coshises to the outside of the tongue. This helps snug up the cuff which is too big for my skinny shin/lower leg. Put on a booster strap. My alpine boots are Tecnica Mach 1 LV in a 130. The Scouts don't match those in downhill mode, but they have a pretty solid feel considering their weight and job they were designed to do. For me, definitely stiffer and more balanced than the stock set up. Always comfortable going in both directions.

Thanks all. The Scout also has the advantage of being for sale hella cheap right now.

Anyone fondled the Zero G Tour (all PU) model? Or the Fischer Transalp non pro version? Not sure I want the weight penalty of pure PU.

Planning to put together my shortlist and order a few from somewhere I can return before settling.

As reference I don’t find the pro cuff not smooth. I also ski the concept boot though that has the same cuff material.

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    I have the ZG Scout (all green version from a few years back). I picked it for it's (relative) low weight and the fact that I like PU better than carbon in the cuff. Previous boot was a Scarpa F1. I still have the stock liner in the Scout which is okay but could be better. I've worked to improve the downhill performance. Put in a full-length shim under the liner to get a tighter fit. Put in a modest heel lift which helps me feel more balanced. Always felt a bit flat footed prior to that. Put in a beefier spoiler and added a flexible pad from an old pair of Coshises to the outside of the tongue. This helps snug up the cuff which is too big for my skinny shin/lower leg. Put on a booster strap. My alpine boots are Tecnica Mach 1 LV in a 130. The Scouts don't match those in downhill mode, but they have a pretty solid feel considering their weight and job they were designed to do. For me, definitely stiffer and more balanced than the stock set up. Always comfortable going in both directions.
    Yeah I went to ATK bindings from flat marker alpinist and the extra delta really helped with the flat foot feeling.

The forward lean adjustment seems to do very little.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    As reference I don’t find the pro cuff not smooth. I also ski the concept boot though that has the same cuff material.
    Part of my search for a med stiffness boot is something I can use with all my setups, both fat pow skis for heavy PNW deepness and skinny mountaineering sticks. A big gnarly stiff boot doesn't feel as nice with the lightweight skinny skis in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Part of my search for a med stiffness boot is something I can use with all my setups, both fat pow skis for heavy PNW deepness and skinny mountaineering sticks. A big gnarly stiff boot doesn't feel as nice with the lightweight skinny skis in my experience.
    If they fit your feet the Rad Pro, or a new old stock Hoji PX would be really good. Have a ton of days on the PX and I have been VERY impressed. Full review in the link below
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Thanks all. The Scout also has the advantage of being for sale hella cheap right now.

Anyone fondled the Zero G Tour (all PU) model? Or the Fischer Transalp non pro version? Not sure I want the weight penalty of pure PU.

Planning to put together my shortlist and order a few from somewhere I can return before settling.
    I have the Transalp Tour version. I haven't weighed them, but I've been on them for ~1.5 seasons now and am really happy with them. My old boots were squarely in the beef category so I'm not sure I can make the best comparison, but I primarily ski them with 4FRNT Ravens both in-bounds and out.

The flex is nice and progressive, they walk better than anything I've owned in the past, and I'd personally be happy on them both on skinnier skis and something fatter.

Happy to throw these on a scale or answer any specific questions about them.

Speed nose * my crampon selection =

Add the new Scarpa Quattro to the list. Walks better than any other 4buckle boot, and it has a very low volume fit. If the Atomic Backland works for you they are worth trying on.

Roxa R3 130 TI.

Only shortcoming is limited rearward flex when touring with tongue in.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^ noted, although GripWalk is a deal-breaker for me

Interesting to see Transalps available in Pro (PX), Tour (PU cuff, PX clog), and TS (PU) versions. Tour isn't showing up on the main Fischer site anymore. Maybe more issues with shells cracking in that? The weight differences are small between the few.

^^ noted, although GripWalk is a deal-breaker for me

Interesting to see Transalps available in Pro (PX), Tour (PU cuff, PX clog), and TS (PU) versions. Tour isn't showing up on the main Fischer site anymore. Maybe more issues with shells cracking in that? The weight differences are small between the few.
    skimoco says

Ooh, I wasn't aware until now that Transalp came in a PU. Not 100% sure exactly the difference between PU and PX in feel, I'm more familiar with PU and grilamid. Interestingly, skimoco says the Transalp TS weighs 25g more and flexes "equally" in the shop. There do seem to be a number of people breaking the Transalp Pro (PX) clog. That alone is reason to consider the TS/PU, IMHO.

I reiterate that you should at least consider the Skorpius. It flexes like a Mercury without the tongue and walks great.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Speed nose * my crampon selection =

Sure does, but... it also gives you better edge transfer into the snow on firm conditions - so you'll be breaking out the ski crampons later than your buddies.

Also - having skied on the Roxa 130 - I would solidly put that boot into the "beef" category. While it's light, the ROM is not great, and has a pretty stiff linear flex. I would say the flex is similar to the Hoji 130 Free, whereas the Rad Pro, and Hoji PX are more similar to the Lupo 130C and Krypton.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Those new Backland 120 boots look pretty sweet too.

Thanks all. Gonna probably keep rocking current boots unless they break or until I find a sweet deal on one of these options that fits

Maestrale RS seems worth trying but have you tried a regular Meastrale? I thought they’d be too soft, but I like them a lot. They meet all your other needs. I find the flex on them is a little smoother than the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    I have the Transalp Tour version. I haven't weighed them, but I've been on them for ~1.5 seasons now and am really happy with them. My old boots were squarely in the beef category so I'm not sure I can make the best comparison, but I primarily ski them with 4FRNT Ravens both in-bounds and out.

The flex is nice and progressive, they walk better than anything I've owned in the past, and I'd personally be happy on them both on skinnier skis and something fatter.

Happy to throw these on a scale or answer any specific questions about them.
    Tried on some of these that a friend had in 29 and decided to purchase the 30 size from Evo today. We will see if I like them or if they get returned after wearing around the house.