Sharma Momoa Climbing Reality TV Show on HBO

However many are in a shit ton.

i started watching the first episode then turned it off as it started to turn into the usual reality tv contest thing which isn't my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    i started watching the first episode then turned it off as it started to turn into the usual reality tv contest thing which isn't my bag.
    I kind of felt the same way but the next day I was bored and decided to watch the second episode. Hearing Sharma talk about the different areas and why they are special is interesting. Dude seems authentic and comparing Siurana to the North Shore was cool and helped me better understand why he moved there.

I don't climb anymore but even when I did, I wasn't that good. These are legit climbers sending 12d? Crazy.

I also have a bit of interest as one of the characters is from Story (my wife grew up in Buffalo.)

Anyway, I guess I'll keep watching.

It's stupid but not worse than lots of other shit I can watch on TV. At least the footy is all stunning so far.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I couldn’t get away from the idea that they’re competing to become “pro” and struggling to flash 5.12
    …….Or that anyone not named Sharma or Momoa were allowed to talk for more than 15 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

i'm happy sharma is making bank on this

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

i like him in general but he’s kind of annoying me with the generic climber babble

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    ....generic climber babble..
    remember who the audience is

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

i can't tell if non-climbers like the show. i read one comment where the guy thought it was stupid that they were using "ropes and safety gear".

wow, i just got to the crack part - this is not a 12c. it looked like all 2's and 3's and mostly vertical. the young chick just onsighted it laying it all back with no jamming experience. just does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    wow, i just got to the crack part - this is not a 12c. it looked like all 2's and 3's and mostly vertical. the young chick just onsighted it laying it all back with no jamming experience. just does not compute.
    Yeah, some of it is a little confusing. No trad experience and leads 5.12 on site? Seems like anyone really interested would easily be able to reference/verify the routes?

And I realize climbing has progressed and maybe 5.12 is not that hard for many. But back in the day, 5.12 seemed impossible. Just another reminder that I was never any good.

I do like that they are traveling to different areas. I've never even heard of Wadi Rum. Cool scenery.

towards the end there was a throwaway line by Decco (?) that they spent a week first learning crack techniques and about trad. Not that they used the skills on that stupid easy line, but imagine a week of coaching from Chris and Meagan. so cool.

The climbers are all good. Alice climbs 5.14 and obviously that east route was not going to give her problems. I maintain that onsiting 5.12 with cameras and money on the line is hard and when it’s not your style you could easily fall like she did on the DWS 11.

These people all have sponsors and are all kind of pro anyway, they’re just not the level that makes news these days or gets shoes named after them.

It would be cool if the routes were easier to find, but most just are not on mtn project or the crag.

Looks like it’s back to Spain where we will pretend they don’t have multi pitch experience either?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I couldn’t get away from the idea that they’re competing to become “pro” and struggling to flash 5.12
    …….Or that anyone not named Sharma or Momoa were allowed to talk for more than 15 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    new episodes dropped today, i guess it will finish it up.

i poked around to see if these people could climb... cat and alice are both 5.14 climbers. funny that a bunch of them can't place gear but i guess a lot of people are just sport climbers now? anyway, i'm sure i will scrub through the remaining episodes to find some parts that aren't terribly boring or at least look nice.

I mean in light of the Alec Baldwin shooting you really think the producers would be willing to have folks climb and risk a piece of trad pro blowing out or the climbers messing up their MP rope systems? Definitely curious to see what's happening behind the scenes.

I don't care too much for the reality tv aspect of it but it's refreshing seeing the climber vibe. I'd expect them all able to flash 5.12 pretty comfortably but that didn't seem to be the case. At least they're supportive instead of conspiring against each other like in other reality shows. Can't hate them too much, being from SLC, WY, SoCal, Reno they're mostly younger but kinda part of our dirtbag tribe. Also the visuals are great.

I have been watching and have a couple episodes to go. Definitely not binge watching worthy, but decently shot, and some good climbing in some great places. All in all it is worth watching if you have nothing better to do, but not worth missing a day of climb or skiing for.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I thought it was going to be trash and actually enjoyed it.