Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet discussion 2022-23 ski season

So have a Bolle helmet that is getting a bit older now. Read all the time that helmets after 5 years or so even if no major crashes should be replaced. The helmet has the back of the neck rotating fit adjustment that broke on one side also. It is a 57-59 CM size

So shopped locally recently and not much in my size at this point. Plenty of Small or X-Large depending on the brand. Resort shop had 1 Smith Level in my size. Ski/Bike Shop not too far away had 1 K2 Diversion also. Have one more maybe 2 shops in a 50 mile radius that I have not checked out yet.

Both those have the soft ear covers and not a full shell like many race helmets and also like my Bolle capability of opening and closing vents in the helmet.

Also found a few of interest on line. Giro sizing is showing for ski helmets: M 55.5 - 59 cm
    L 59 - 62.5 cm on line for their general helmet under the Fit System. But the Sestriere full helmet does not have a size chart attached. But their highest end Avance Spherical helmet has a size chart of M 55.5 - 57 cm and the L 57 - 59 cm

No local source so I guess I have to try and chat with the company reps first or else ask one of the online retailers and find out what the Sestriere helmet M measurements are compared to the Large and which chart to use when ordering... or else drive more than 100 miles to find a retailer showing them as available.

I guess should have tried shopping in October or November for better selection, but even early Nov the closest shop had very little in Medium helmets then either.

I'm interested, too. I'm definitely due for a helmet replacement. One thing I don't understand is why are some helmets $60 and others are $250. What's the difference? What features do the expensive helmets have that the cheap ones don't? Is it actually worth it to pay more for a helmet?

I bought a more expensive one with MIPS. I don't know much about the technology, but I have a friend who is a medical researcher at McGill and he credits it with saving his brain after he was hit by a car on the streets. I figured since I am wearing it for peace of mind as much as anything, might as well get one with the new tech and claims.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I think MIPS is worth it, but it seems like even many of the cheaper helmets have it these days.

Probably venting, materials, MIPs, etc. cause an increase in price.

My stance is, it's my head, why would I ever skimp on price? Maybe that makes me a sucker but I'd rather not find out the hard way if I'm right or wrong.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    My stance is, it's my head, why would I ever skimp on price? Maybe that makes me a sucker but I'd rather not find out the hard way if I'm right or wrong.
    My stance is buy the cheapest helmet that's comfortable and gives me good protection. Anything beyond that is a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Anything beyond that is a waste of money.
    But this is skiing, so...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    But this is skiing, so...
    Good point. I really should be considering the styling and colorway.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    My stance is buy the cheapest helmet that's comfortable and gives me good protection. Anything beyond that is a waste of money.
    Some quality of life features are kinda nice. I thought the Smith's magnetic chinstrap buckle was stupid at first, but it's actually super convenient to buckle/unbuckle your helmet one-handed with a mitten on.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

I've bewn rocking the Pret Cynic MIPS for a while now. Lightweight and I like the look. Was considering getting a new Cynic AT but just got a pair of Giro goggles so maybe a Giro helmet would be better, but I don't like their look as much as the Pret.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Some quality of life features are kinda nice. I thought the Smith's magnetic chinstrap buckle was stupid at first, but it's actually super convenient to buckle/unbuckle your helmet one-handed with a mitten on.
    Plus I like the Bluetooth audio chips, so having ear pads that allow for that are a key feature for me.

I’ve had giro, smith and then atomic. Then tried sweet protection and think they’re better than the rest. Lightweight, great ventilation, great fit, best build quality I’ve tried, and look awesome.

Lot of helmets fit one type of head shape. Sweet protection seem to fit lots of head shapes - have three friends who ordered one and love them too.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I bought a more expensive one with MIPS. I don't know much about the technology, but I have a friend who is a medical researcher at McGill and he credits it with saving his brain after he was hit by a car on the streets. I figured since I am wearing it for peace of mind as much as anything, might as well get one with the new tech and claims.

does he wear a helmet a lot while walking on the street or is that shit luck he had it on?

I second sweet protection. I have a trooper ii mips and it’s pretty great. Chips work awesome with it as well. And it has four opening and closing vents.
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 01-23-2023 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I second sweet protection.
    x3

I wear a 2020 Switcher. Similar fit to Bern. Great materials. Lots of closable vents.

I am suspecting a few things, but I have to I guess confirm with Giro. First is the charts for their MIPS helmets are different size ranges than their non- MIPS. So the difference I am seeing on their web site could be related to that.

Second- today was skiing with a friend that has a previous generation (a few years old at this point) Giro XL- non MIPS that is 59 to 60.5 cm and as I suspected it is big on me. But his son-in-law had a Giro MIPS helmet in a medium and it fit me pretty good. It is last year or maybe previous year model. Just as we were doing the swapping, another ski instructor I know was standing there. He reps a few lines of products including Marker helmets (does need to order them though). I had not had a Marker on my head in I don't know how many years as I have not seen any shops with them even on their racks or displays. His was a Medium and I stuck it on and also seemed to fit better than the K2 and some of the others I had tried.

So maybe narrowing down the options and have to see what can be ordered at this point. The only other unknown is my goggles fitting properly. I did not for any of those 3 helmets today take and put my goggles on them. Smith I helmet think is one of the ones that was sort of questionable when I put that one on in the shop with the goggles I wear...

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    x3

I wear a 2020 Switcher. Similar fit to Bern. Great materials. Lots of closable vents.
    x4, I got Trooper 2Vi MIPS and it's been excellent, specially with Sweet Protection Interstellar Rig goggles. Fit, build quality is awesome and doesn't feel too bulky like some Smith helmets. On a side note, POC helmets never fit me right.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I second sweet protection. I have a igniter ii mips and it’s pretty great. Chips work awesome with it as well. And it has four opening and closing vents.
    My gripe with sweet protection is their sizing isn’t consistent. The L/XL Trooper doesn’t fit my 61cm head and it doesn’t come in anything larger. However the Igniter XL/XXL does fit but seems massive.

I can’t ride with ear pads so those need to come out. The smith nexus SAYS they do, but the whole ear piece wraps around a metal boa tightening system.

I want to try the summit, but nobody stocks it and smith is straight up wants $45 to ship a return. AND people have said the summit doesn’t match previous smith sizing.

That would definitely be handy.

Almost a mandatory feature for me in every ski helmet I get going forward.

So everyone likes the Magnetic chin strap, how well does it hold on your head? Are they Rare Earth Magnets or something??

It’s a mechanical plastic on plastic connection, fixed on five sides, the magnet just snaps it into place and you can push it apart in the sixth direction. It’s just as secure as a traditional plastic buckle IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    So everyone likes the Magnetic chin strap, how well does it hold on your head? Are they Rare Earth Magnets or something??

like dog shit. That’s actually something I worry about if I fall, whether that strap will stay buckled. But neither have happened yet. If I was back racing, 0% chance I’d have a magnetic buckle.

like dog shit. That’s actually something I worry about if I fall, whether that strap will stay buckled. But neither have happened yet. If I was back racing, 0% chance I’d have a magnetic buckle.
    Really? I haven’t looked at or messed with the Smith version, but I have zero concerns re: the magnet clasp on my Sweet. I figure a fall pulling the tab out at the angle it needs to be pulled to release the clasp is about as likely as the fall tripping the plastic buckle.
    focus.

The Pret has a magnetic clasp and it works much better then a normal buckle. Easy on/off and I can't imagine it releasing inadvertently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    My gripe with sweet protection is their sizing isn’t consistent. The L/XL Trooper doesn’t fit my 61cm head and it doesn’t come in anything larger. However the Igniter XL/XXL does fit but seems massive.

I can’t ride with ear pads so those need to come out. The smith nexus SAYS they do, but the whole ear piece wraps around a metal boa tightening system.

I want to try the summit, but nobody stocks it and smith is straight up wants $45 to ship a return. AND people have said the summit doesn’t match previous smith sizing.
    Cut and paste from smith website, looks like $6 to return an item

Edit: @Stuntmonkey- Are you shipping from Canada? Just read more of smith's return policy, seems like they don't want items returned from Canada

"Returns

Return Policy

We want you to be happy with your purchase from smithoptics.com. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please reach out using our Contact Us page.

Should you need to return a product, we accept returns for full-price online orders from smithoptics.com within 30 days of the purchase date. The product must be unused and in the original packaging. We charge a $6 return fee for the printable return shipping label. The cost of the return label will be subtracted from your refund.

If you have a question or concern about the quality or accuracy of your prescription order, please reach out to our RX Department before beginning a return."