Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hotel and any other recommendations for London

My daughter received a nice work related year end bonus this year. A few grand for travel. She is doing 10 nights with my sis-in-law on the Greek Islands of Spetses and Hydra, and a 4 nights in London. Any maggot recommendations for reasonable (definitely under $350/nt.) accommodations, out of the ordinary things to do or places to be? TIAM
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Subscribing for myself.

What dates for her? I just booked Hilton properties for mid-March.

Lost Property St. Paul's for $265gbp a night.

Then Hilton London Metropole for $225-250gbp a night. We go to Ireland in the middle of this trip.

Never been the but the Metropole hotel is close to the Paddington Underground station. That will make it easy from Heathrow and to get top other stations via the tube (I think...)

Open to any tourist/site suggestions from the group. We will hit most of the high points. Total of around 5 days in the city. Fun pubs, rooftop bars or restaurants?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

when you go to yurp go to London first so you won't be dissapointed cuz england is quaint while say Paris is grand
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For a cool vibe and a shot of whisky, check out this place. They have a cozy little bar downstairs. You have to go through a hidden door that is behind a bookcase. The people behind the counter were really fun and friendly.

https://milroys.co.uk/

The Hilton hotels in London are all pretty nice too.

Go for a walk in Hyde Park. Sounds cheesy but do afternoon tea at Harrods. Or some other nice hotel with afternoon tea.

If you like Indian food, London has some of the best.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

the war museum in London is great if that interests you

the "British Museum" is also great - get to see all the stuff they pillaged over the centuries like the Rosetta Stone

Globe Theatre [sic] for some cheap Shakespeare ... stand in the groundling section
    Dishoom (in Covent Garden) for trendy Indian food
    Mango Indian in Southwick for more traditional Indian Food
    Fortum and Mason rather than Harrods for High Tea (either is better than can be reasonably assumed)
    And a second for The British Museum
    Ferry to Greenwich for all the stuff there ... including the prime meridian which isn't actually on the line they say it is based on our GPS And the Queenshouse has some great art/architecture.
    A surprise was the Courtauld Gallery for impressionist art

If you like that cuisine the best food i had in Britain was East Indian and apparently forget fish & chips, Tikka Masala is the most popular takeout in England

my father who grew up in Southampton used to make fun of British food
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

See a show at Brixton Academy.
    Hit up one of the Saturday markets. Not sure which are still around.
    Also not sure if they are only on Saturday.

Best part of London over Paris is all the green space. Paris, if you see green, you know you are near the Seine. London has little parks everywhere.
    By the time they leave Greece, they will be sick of English food. That seemed to be all we could get, at least in the British touristy areas I went.

last time I was there we went to the "Duck and Waffle" for breakfast once we got off the plane in the morning - great views of the city and good breakfast

https://duckandwaffle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    the war museum in London is great if that interests you

the "British Museum" is also great - get to see all the stuff they pillaged over the centuries like the Rosetta Stone
    If the British Museum line is long, try the back entrance, the lines are usually nonexistant.
    Close by the BM is https://dickensmuseum.com/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    See a show at Brixton Academy.
    Hit up one of the Saturday markets. Not sure which are still around.
    Also not sure if they are only on Saturday.

Best part of London over Paris is all the green space. Paris, if you see green, you know you are near the Seine. London has little parks everywhere.
    By the time they leave Greece, they will be sick of English food. That seemed to be all we could get, at least in the British touristy areas I went.
    In the mid eighties went to check out Brixton area just because that’s what dumbasses did without any particular knowledge or destination. Cruised around until I came to the Academy and saw a Pete Townsend poster that I knew one of my Who obsessed friends would love to have. It was mid day and no one was around so I tried the door and it was unlocked! Score. I went inside and made quick work of removing the poster and was about to leave when i realized there was a band rehearsal going on inside. I snuck up to the balcony to see what was up and realized it was Sade rehearsing. I listened from the balcony for a couple minutes then figured if I was gonna kicked out soon I might as well get closer. So I made my way down a corridor and next thing I new i was back stage. The band was working on something, roadies were busy, and no one paid me any attention. I saw some equipment boxes/crates on the side of the stage so I walked over to them, sat down on them, took out my notebook so it looked like I was doing something and proceeded to get an entire walk thru personal concert. I saw there for well over an hour before someone finally started to approach and I thought to myself, that’s it, the jig gig is up and braced myself for potential embarrassment and castigation. The rather large guy gets closer and closer and when he finally does speak, he doesn’t say GTFO of here...He asks me if I’ve seen anyone from Pete’s group arrive yet! Since no one seemed to know where Townsend was and Sade was wrapping up their session, I got out while I still could quietly w the poster. My buddy still has it framed on his wall. I’d love to see an full on concert there someday. It’s a great venue

I love all the riverside pubs in areas like Richmond. Perfect in the summer for quality day drinking
    Last edited by mcski; 01-17-2023 at 11:05 PM.

Well shit.I thought I was cool for seeing The Offspring there with Guttermouth opening. Great story minus the Sade part, but hey, free concert.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Great reference for choosing bars, restaurants, museums, hotels:

https://www.timeout.com/london
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Bumping this for a trip this summer. My wife and I will be arriving in London and departing by train to Cornwall fairly quickly. Probably spend just a night or two in London. Since the train departs from Paddington I was thinking maybe finding a hotel near the station would be smart. I'm assuming that's a pretty good location or does it even matter with the transit options available?

P.S. in Cornwall we're staying in the town where the show Doc Martin was filmed (called Portwenn in the show, actually Port Isaac). Really looking forward to that portion of the trip. Cornwall looks amazeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Bumping this for a trip this summer. My wife and I will be arriving in London and departing by train to Cornwall fairly quickly. Probably spend just a night or two in London. Since the train departs from Paddington I was thinking maybe finding a hotel near the station would be smart. I'm assuming that's a pretty good location or does it even matter with the transit options available.

P.S. in Cornwall we're staying in the town where the show Doc Martin was filmed (called Portwenn in the show, actually Port Isaac). Really looking forward to that portion of the trip. Cornwall looks amazeballs.
    London is pretty easy to get around, even walking. There are a few right at the station but it’s pretty close to Hyde Park so might be some nicer options that way (it’s a few minute walk IIRC).

Haven’t been in about a decade so any info I have is likely out of date

<snip> Cornwall looks amazeballs.
    Make sure to eat some pasties.

We stayed at the Hilton Metropole which was maybe a 5min walk from Paddington.

10 min walk south to Hyde Park.
    2 min walk across the street to the Edgeware Road station which easily got us everywhere else in the city.

We found some places to eat along the Canal between Paddington and the hotel, nothing special but decent sustenance.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Make sure to eat some pasties.
    My wife says she's eating a pasty every day

-------

Yeah, I was looking at the map and it seemed like staying sort of between the station and Hyde Park might be a good option.

My wife says she's eating a pasty every day

i stayed at this place years ago on a weekend between euro work trips. not 5 star but decent enough and enjoyed it

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hot...id=GLBC_LONCOU

On the edge of SOHO

My kiddo loved stay at The Tree House. https://www.treehousehotels.com/london

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    i stayed at this place years ago on a weekend between euro work trips. not 5 star but decent enough and enjoyed it

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hot...id=GLBC_LONCOU
    That place looks pretty good. Thanks. And FYI I'm not in the least concerned about luxury or amenities. I want something clean and not minuscule that is in decent location. I consider a hotel room to be a place to shower and sleep and that's it.

The Treehouse is north of 500 pounds per night, so that's out!

edit: my wife had a good suggestion of staying above a pub. There's a website stayinapub.co.uk that cater to this. That sounds cooler to me than staying in some generic hotel.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-08-2024 at 02:17 PM.

That place looks pretty good. Thanks. And FYI I'm not in the least concerned about luxury or amenities. I want something clean and not minuscule that is in decent location.
    That's not such a great location unless you're particularly interested in stuff on the Southbank. Not very convenient for Paddington either
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........