On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Broken Dynafit ST heel riser....fixable?

Got an absolutely screaming deal on Ravens + Dynafit for my buddy. We toured on them and they functioned but it wasn't until bring the skis back inside he noticed the lowest grey riser totally missing/broken off.

A.) could this be fixed in any way? My guess is no.

B.) Think this is indicative of the whole binding being somehow dry rotted and they will explode on the next tour?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230114_092208.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	442619

That's not really a riser. It compresses the brakes into tour mode when the binding is twisted. When there are no brakes on a ski that thing becomes unsupported and can break off. There shouldn't be other issues but your buddy won't be able to put brakes back on the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    That's not really a riser. It compresses the brakes into tour mode when the binding is twisted. When there are no brakes on a ski that thing becomes unsupported and can break off. There shouldn't be other issues but your buddy won't be able to put brakes back on the binding.
    Ok. We did also notice that when he's in tour mode now the one boot is obviously lower because the heel rests on the base plate and not that grey piece.

The vert is a good binding, just use them with a leash
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That is a riser that broke off, though maybe it also affects the brakes. I have the same bindings, without brakes (came without brakes - there is a version with brakes too).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ok. We did also notice that when he's in tour mode now the one boot is obviously lower because the heel rests on the base plate and not that grey piece.
    Break off the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Break off the other one.
    We've already considered it haha. Definitely gonna get some leashes. Almost lost one last weekend on the tour.

It’s not fixable - at least not easily. Get a spare toe piece from Skimo.com. That same thing happened to me and it results in the toe of the boot pulling up on the toe piece of the binding when in flat mode

If you wanted to make them equal what you could do is put a heel block on the ski

edit: that might be hard cuz of the elongated plastic binding piece

I got a couple pair of Verts, certainly a better product than the RAD and lot of bindings on which u can not set vert & lateral release indepentdantly

so I set vertical release one higher than lateral to prevent pre-release
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

At one time you could get replacement top plate fixed risers. Check B&D site.
    watch out for snakes

I have the same binders and usually tour with the heelpiece turned 180 deg. For the med riser. I always felt like that plastic shelf wasn’t trustworthy. I am in rolling terrain so no real need for full flat mode. Y friend’s mmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

1) put a small piece of HMPE on the heel to prevent your boot dropping too low when in flat mode and torquing the toe as noted above
    2) def leashes. Always leashes or leashless some days, but never brakes
    3) get some LONG coil leashes not shorties. My fav are the Plum. The shortly Dynafit and G3 leashes are def inferior.
    4) Skimoco has a used binding part page, your bud can try and grab a heel as a spare. If they totally explode just replace without redrilling with Speed Radical heels.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    1) put a small piece of HMPE on the heel to prevent your boot dropping too low when in flat mode and torquing the toe as noted above
    2) def leashes. Always leashes or leashless some days, but never brakes
    3) get some LONG coil leashes not shorties. My fav are the Plum. The shortly Dynafit and G3 leashes are def inferior.
    4) Skimoco has a used binding part page, your bud can try and grab a heel as a spare. If they totally explode just replace without redrilling with Speed Radical heels.
    All of this X2. I have an old set of verts on my spring skis. I cut off all the excess baseplate material in front of the binding, stacked a couple pieces of HDPE together, mounted them to the ski where the excess baseplate used to be and have been happy. My HDPE block doesn't act as a stomppad/freeride spacer when in ski mode - it just creates a flat/slightly heel high touring mode. My toes are shimmed, so my heel was really low/pulled on the toe pieces before I installed the HDPE. If you go this route make sure you install the blocks far enough forward of the binding so that the brake tab doesn't interfere when you turn the binding. I second the Plum leashes as well. Easy to use and long enough to allow transitions etc. without undoing them.