Damn we lost a great one-RIP jeff Beck

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeff-beck...220731301.html

What a bummer. I have loved him for 45+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

It is that time in many of our lives when the heroes we have had for so long begin to die off.

RIP Jeff and thanks for all the music. Blow By Blow and Wired were great.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Damn, that dude could play. RIP.

An absolute master RIP

FOREVER A PART OF MY SKI LIfe

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Damn, that dude could play. RIP.
    1969 senior year of high school in Wisconsin, Spring Break. Three of us in a VW Beetle drive non-stop to Aspen in something like 25 hours. Drafted semi-trucks to save gas. Arrived 2 hours before the lifts opened. Parked slopeside, slept in the car, hit first chairs, it was the old single with a canvas pullover cover attached to the footrest.

We had a tape deck in the Bug but only six eight-track tapes, one of which was Jeff Beck's first album TRUTH, so we heard it about 200 hundred times that week. Every note burned into my brain for the last 54 years. I still love listening to it, both for the music and the memories. Saw a few of his songs on YouTube a couple weeks ago and he is still the leading edge.

He always sounded good, and never like anybody else.
    Gravity Junkie

Oh, fuck. I was gonna see him just a few months ago but I fucked up the dates. Maybe my favorite guitarist ever, certainly top 5. He seemed like he was gonna live forever, he sounded as good recently as he ever did.

Very much worth the time:

Shit, bacterial meningitis. That's the thing about getting old, you might be fine but often you don't have the backup resources to cope with a big hit. Something that you would probably have recovered from at 40 just fuckin kills you. Man this sucks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/11/a...beck-dead.html

I think I have every note of Blow By Blow engrained in my brain.

Listening to the album again (sadly first time in awhile) on vinyl and it's like easing into a favorite couch.

The progressions on Scatterbrain are nonpareil.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Very much worth the time:
    One of so, so many, but yes, that is a really good one. Thank you for posting.

3:45 in he plays Stratus, the original of which with Billy Cobham, Tommy Bolin and Jan Hammer was posted recently in the "What song is it you wanna hear" thread. Listening to it the other day got me thinking about what a rich period that first half of the 70's was. So many people listening to and playing with each other. So much cross-pollination, so much fusion. You can hear the seeds of Blow By Blow and what was to follow about 3 minutes into the Cobham Stratus when they get into the body of the tune. Of course Beck put his own stamp on it, as he did with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    It is that time in many of our lives when the heroes we have had for so long begin to die off.
    Getting the news today was a gut punch. Man, it sucks, and it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    RIP Jeff and thanks for all the music. Blow By Blow and Wired were great.
    The Bible, the Old and New Testaments! I loved to smoke up, put the headphones on and crank it, and lay there in the dark listening to Wired. Everything on that album is a masterpiece!

I saw Beck live at the Greek Theater in Berkeley a few years later when he was touring supporting There and Back. Another awesome offering with Jan Hammer. This is a nice piece from that album to sign off with...

Thank you Jeff Beck - may you rest in peace while your music lives on forever.

There are two types of people: Those who get, and love, Jeff Beck, and those who don't.

For those in the first group - enjoy this treasure.