Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Have you tried these touring? They are kinda tempting because I go through 2 pairs of dissent socks a season and lots of blister tape. Is the seam noticeable?

As others have said, atomic Hawx ultra plus zipfit with leather lining is money. I was using the zipfit gfts and just today used my sidewinder free ride (leather inner) and the leather makes a big difference. Gfts were great though.

I would be very very hesitant to put a heel lift in a ski boot - asking for calf tightness, shin splints and other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Have you tried these touring? They are kinda tempting because I go through 2 pairs of dissent socks a season and lots of blister tape. Is the seam noticeable?
    Yes, I've used them primarily for touring. I don't notice the seams, but maybe the top-front edge of the bootie just a bit, but really not until after I've taken off the boots at the end of the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    As others have said, atomic Hawx ultra plus zipfit with leather lining is money. I was using the zipfit gfts and just today used my sidewinder free ride (leather inner) and the leather makes a big difference. Gfts were great though.

I would be very very hesitant to put a heel lift in a ski boot - asking for calf tightness, shin splints and other issues.
    What do you find the leather offers? And how is it when you get hot and sweaty touring? Also are you saying she’ll wedges would make your calfs tighter as in getting squeezed? Because it does the opposite.P

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    What do you find the leather offers? And how is it when you get hot and sweaty touring? Also are you saying she’ll wedges would make your calfs tighter as in getting squeezed? Because it does the opposite.P
    I think he is saying a lift will be similar to walking in high heels (obviously an exaggeration): calves will get tense just from standing around, hence the tightness. Not a fit issue.

Those Zipfit liners intrigue me, but they are SO heavy relative to other good liners. It's like going up one weight category in a boot. I bought a set and returned them. When you spend hours going uphill it seems like these would be a real drag.

That said... I understand they are very durable (I get a couple hundred days from my Intuitions so I'm OK there) and if someone REALLY needs the fit they offer, they need it.

Get the right fitting boot to begin with. And to all you other guys that claim leather is great, absolutely not. My gara is a million times more comfy, easier to get into and dries better. Leather sucks. Good luck sliding a decent merino sock in, the leather grabs the shit out of your foot and you have to boot horn into a liner then into a shell. Gara is also warmer. I have a gara stealth, a corsa 92 and a GFT.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    I think he is saying a lift will be similar to walking in high heels (obviously an exaggeration): calves will get tense just from standing around, hence the tightness. Not a fit issue.

Those Zipfit liners intrigue me, but they are SO heavy relative to other good liners. It's like going up one weight category in a boot. I bought a set and returned them. When you spend hours going uphill it seems like these would be a real drag.

That said... I understand they are very durable (I get a couple hundred days from my Intuitions so I'm OK there) and if someone REALLY needs the fit they offer, they need it.

Zipfit GFTs ski better then any liner intuition makes, and the other zips ski better then the GFT. Intuitions are warmer. But that’s the last thing I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Yes, I've used them primarily for touring. I don't notice the seams, but maybe the top-front edge of the bootie just a bit, but really not until after I've taken off the boots at the end of the tour.
    I'm thinking to try the 2mm. Which thickness did you get? How dense is the foam?

I got the 2mm and 3mm, but the 2mm worked so well, I've hardly used the 3mm. (Note that I'm using the 2mm in boots where I have just a slight amount of heel lift w/o them.) The foam is fairly dense but gives just the right amount.
    Last edited by andy m; 03-06-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post

Yeah, that makes sense. Extra ramp puts a lot of stress on the calf.

From my experience doing 1500-2000m days, and looking to have performance skiing, fit is king over weight. If your ankle is locked and you have no heel lift, you can stride naturally and not get blisters and then skiing takes less energy. If you get that with a lighter liner then win-win.

I've gone round and round with solutions to fix low instep and overall lower foot volume - multiple shims under and inside of intuition liners, the Ezee fit booties mentioned here, thick socks, moving buckles, etc. I recently picked up Zipfit Gara's and this has been the single best decision. The first 2-3 days were excruciating and very tight but heel lock is impeccable. No more shims, just footbeds in the Gara and off. I'm sold.

I don't ski in EZFits, but I inline speed skate. (Think carbonfiber/fiberglass boot that's lower than the navicular and minimal padding. The boots will eat your feet like a cheese grater.) Even with EZFits, it'll take a few weeks before your feet can stand the abuse. And the seams really are not noticeable, at least for me. But the EZFit will hold all the moisture next to your feet, so take care to let them dry, if you're out mult-day. But the help on blisters on the ankle/heel and forefoot (except the toes) is totally wicked.

They work great for blisters and help a bit with heel hold. Beware that if your boots are already short lengthwise, even the ultra thin can push your toes to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    They work great for blisters and help a bit with heel hold. Beware that if your boots are already short lengthwise, even the ultra thin can push your toes to the limit.
    Thanks these are pretty good. I got the 2mm. I did not expect them to make a big difference, but skinning they are awesome. They improved heel hold a bit.

Follow up from original post, I kept adding shims all season on the old boots until it was clear the instep volume was just too much. A few weeks ago I went in for a pair of Hawx Ultra Pros and also dropped a size down. Salomon S/pro Alpha was also a VERY close contender but I decided to go in on the Hawx Ultra pro to try the injected liner since the two were basically at the same price point on sale. Insanely good heel hold on both though and the shifted buckle placement on the SPro is money.

Very happy with the last few weeks of skiing in the new boots to close out the season. Thanks for all the suggestions and big shout out to GregL for the fitting help. Definitely recommend checking out Hawx Ultra/ Spro Alpha for others with low instep issues.