Mt. Charleston fatal avalanche

A skier was killed in a slide on Mt. Charleston yesterday. He was located by beacon by the rest of his group but according to news reports died of blunt force trauma. Per my son the party were memberes of a touring group he is part of although he didn't know any of the party personally. They were with a guide, they had avy training, and the snowpack is upsdie down. Apparently there is no official forecasting for that area.
    https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-...nt-charleston/

Sad tale, Monday had 5 inches of snow with 2.2 inches water content on top of 12" from last week's storm which sat on 2 inches of facets. Supposedly bringing in people from other area to do the official accident report as we don't have anyone here anymore to do it.

The last avalanche fatality there was in 2005 I believe when a slide came down into the area from above and took someone off the chair they were on.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    The last avalanche fatality there was in 2005 I believe when a slide came down into the area from above and took someone off the chair they were on.
    Yup I remember that incident. Gnarly.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yup I remember that incident. Gnarly.
    Si. the slide paths above the area are no joke. I wonder what thoughts they had about that while developing the ski area.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

2005 we had a record breaking 400+ inches of snow in the Springs, everything that could slide went big and wide.
    As for consideration of avy paths in resort design, the old chair two went right up to the bottom of a runout for a big bowl and was wiped out by a slide , they rerouted the drop off out of the path when they rebuilt it.

that is a sobering read

Vibes

Where vibes are needed, I send vibes... RIP