Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Social Districts"? Yay or Nah??

Lots of talk about turning downtown areas in to a virtual mall of bars.. or umm allowing special dated open containers out and about.

Special drink has to be purchased from one of the approved businesses and served in a cup plainly showing that

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through rather than just let people rock what they brought OR buy drinks there too.

Brown bags are pretty uncontested places I see. Bet that's what changes with the "social district" going live.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I just shoot heroin shit all over myself and lay in the street all the time noone special district required

One of the biggest adjustments I had to make socially when I moved to ATL many years ago was to realize that basically everywhere is an open container zone.

Piedmont Park, biggest public park in the South? Just a giant outdoors BBQ/Sunday-Funday each weekend. The cops/rangers just critique how well you’re doing it.

Waterways, even in National Forests? Just don’t litter.

Each and every one of the 100+ mixed use developments/redevelopments that have popped up over the years? If you don’t have a cocktail in hand you’re kind of in the minority.

Savannah has been to-go booze longer than we’ve been a country.

In my opinion, it’s kind of the Euro mindset; if it’s allowed people tend to act cool and you don’t get the Bourbon St/football tailgate mentality of get as Fucked up as you can.

Ymmv.
    I still call it The Jake.

What police department is actually enforcing any misdemeanor crime anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Sergeant Stedanko.

Certainly not ours.

@SJG, these zones will exist organically sanctioned or not. Obv sanctioned is better.

I'm sure there are lots of PNW mags old enough to remember 'one hand stamp, five bars' in 90s Pioneer Square.

It seems like increasingly there's a segment of the population that can more or less do whatever they want to short of murder, but everyone else actually has to follow the rules. That dichotomy is what's frustrating.

Would be a hilarious Tik Tok challenge to have folks just going there to buy the panhandlers and homeless people drinks.. let word get out that everyone who shows up there might get a free drink.. LOLZ!

And no, I don't think it much matters what the signs downtown say..

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Sergeant Stedanko.
    "Lardass, lardass"
    More cowbell!!!

Open container laws are just another silly U.S. legacy rooted in excessive puritanical hand wringing. Get rid of those laws, along with all of the weird regulations on time and place of sale.

Despite “lotsa talk”…No idea what OP is referring to…is a link too much trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Certainly not ours.

@SJG, these zones will exist organically sanctioned or not. Obv sanctioned is better.

I'm sure there are lots of PNW mags old enough to remember 'one hand stamp, five bars' in 90s Pioneer Square.
    I was behind the bar at the J&M, so I didn't require any hand stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Open container laws are just another silly U.S. legacy rooted in excessive puritanical hand wringing. Get rid of those laws, along with all of the weird regulations on time and place of sale.
    Now that you smell weed anytime anyplace
    Yeah. Fuck it.

I was bummed when Wyoming finally passed an open container law. I always felt free dumb when we crossed the state line and I put a beer in the cup holder.

I think dedicated walking only streets (open to delivery vehicles before like 8 am) and things like this would make much better cities with more community.
    First Friday in Oakland was like this and it was great.

What District Attorney is actually prosecuting any misdemeanor crime anyway?

fify

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Despite “lotsa talk”…No idea what OP is referring to…is a link too much trouble?
    Google + Propose new social district?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...client=gws-wiz

I have a hunch that all they'll really do is increase the current open container fine so it is greater than the surcharge on the "special cups" bars send people out with... a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I think dedicated walking only streets (open to delivery vehicles before like 8 am) and things like this would make much better cities with more community.
    First Friday in Oakland was like this and it was great.
    Its fantastic for creating a sense of community. Round here all the mixed use developments and food markets (all walkable with minimal if any vehicle traffic) are open container "refreshment zones", and even moreso the Beltline Trail (rail to trail multi-use path encircling the city), especially the eastside portion is lined with bars and restaurants with trail-facing patios, parks, a skatepark, public art and more links the city's biggest parks to many of those mixed use developments and neighborhood centers. Any given sunny day if you're not using the trail for exercise or transportation, you'll find groups of people and families just grabbing a drink and going for a stroll from one hub to another; it's really something else.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Special drink has to be purchased from one of the approved businesses and served in a cup plainly showing that
    What's the rationale behind this? I feel like if you're going to designate a public area where people are allowed to drink, then you should just allow them to drink. Why can't I bring my own?

"Today's high a humid 98, Hotlanta. Chance of afternoon thunderstorms..."

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    "Today's high a humid 98, Hotlanta. Chance of afternoon thunderstorms..."
    Lol. Actually not too bad with the constant breeze up here on the piedmont and the canopy of a city in the forest providing shade. No matter what the weather people will still be outside doing their thing.

Lol. Actually not too bad with the constant breeze up here on the piedmont and the canopy of a city in the forest providing shade. No matter what the weather people will still be outside doing their thing.
    They bringing back the Freaknik?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    They bringing back the Freaknik?
    They moved it to the big outdoor amphitheater on the south side sometime around the pandemic.

Springtime starts in mid-February here with excellent weather and really great big festivals like Sweetwater 420 Fest, Shaky Knees, Dogwood Festival…

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What's the rationale behind this? I feel like if you're going to designate a public area where people are allowed to drink, then you should just allow them to drink. Why can't I bring my own?
    Based on a past life, liability and security. Applies even when you can bring your own un-opened bottle to an establishment (and pay a corkage fee for service). It allows the owner of the liquor permit to ascertain to a degree the safety of the substance being consumed, and reserves the right to refuse service when the customer is becoming less than cordial as they toss back their libations.

And of course there is the money aspect. Vendors don’t want you to bring your own feast to the party, those pesky damn capitalists.

They moved it to the big outdoor amphitheater on the south side sometime around the pandemic.

Springtime starts in mid-February here with excellent weather and really great big festivals like Sweetwater 420 Fest, Shaky Knees, Dogwood Festival…
    Near the West end downtown Dallas they had an entire mall of bars all together indoors bitd. Dallas Alley,,, "Six Flags, but for drinking". Good times..