Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    God damn hobbits have had touring boots for years. When are they going to release a proper low volume touring boot? Every boot out there is just massive piece of crap for those who have super skinny ankles.
    It’s getting worse. Dynafit dumping the Hoji Free, which while not a genuine low volume fit, at least has a low enough instep to hold down my heel. The replacement Radical pro is functionally similar, but significantly wider and with a more generous instep. Sucks. Noticed the new Backland XTD is claiming a 100mm last, whatever that means, but I’m presuming they’re going for the middle of the road.

New colorway from EVO preview:

https://www.evo.com/discover/ski/gear-preview
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 9.08.03 AM.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	442501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-13 at 9.08.12 AM.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	442502  

Quote Originally Posted by peglegg View Post
    New colorway
    Hawt!

hm, the Katana v werks is supposedly getting some tweks after a what, a decade later - more taper.

If they have slightly tweaked the layup in the tips/tails for more torsional compliance as well, and possibly made it possible to mount a bit more forward than +2 (which is still -12) then that ski could be even better.

I am curious what happens to the BMT too. It is my understanding that it is not offered over yonder this year, while be available for DPS type money here in euroland. I prefer the V werks construction to DPS' Pagoda - better flex patterns and more damp imho (based on an extremely limited number of runs on Lotus 117 Pagoda).

Am I understanding correctly the new Dalbello’s new ‘Cabrio’ line remains the same in terms of internal last/fit, and they’re just deciding to call it a 99 mm last moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Deleted.

No need to continue the BOA back-and-forth.
    I am sure the discussion will come back around

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    It’s getting worse. Dynafit dumping the Hoji Free, which while not a genuine low volume fit, at least has a low enough instep to hold down my heel. The replacement Radical pro is functionally similar, but significantly wider and with a more generous instep. Sucks. Noticed the new Backland XTD is claiming a 100mm last, whatever that means, but I’m presuming they’re going for the middle of the road.
    Do you know of any other specs for the Backland XTD?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Do you know of any other specs for the Backland XTD?
    No, just scraps I’ve picked up online.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Good link. I hope the dalbello catalog is available soon to the public. Lots of changes going on there. Wondering if I’ll need to stock up on some boots.
    I wonder how small the Quantum Jr. goes. Would love to have a boot smaller than 21.5.

New tech binding from marker looks nice. Additional riser which is a great addition. Have been happy with the alpinist so hopefully these ski as damp if not more and at a similar price point. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marker-cruise-heel-ski-touring-bindings-2024-gear-preview-edit-done.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	442572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marker-cruise-ski-touring-bindings-2024-gear-preview-edit-done.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	442571

Oh fuck me, that is awesome. Now please, please, please Marker use the same goddam mount pattern as the alpinist or at least the KP! The collective needs more details on these as soon as possible.

23/24 Gear Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    But can you imagine a 2024 katana with a sword on it? I can. And it would be black.
    Bring the dragon Katana back but in black…..
    Last edited by BC.; 01-13-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peglegg View Post
    New colorway from EVO preview:

https://www.evo.com/discover/ski/gear-preview
    Am I losing my mind, or does that AFD look even taller than the normal GW one? The big ass "A" next to the GW logo is also interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Am I losing my mind, or does that AFD look even taller than the normal GW one? The big ass "A" next to the GW logo is also interesting.
    Nah it’s the same, just stupid tall ugh

The scarpa quattro (4 quattro? Lol) is lower volume all around than the hoji free. Low instep, low volume ankle and cuff. Walks better imo and may even ski better. Sick option to have in any event

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hm, the Katana v werks is supposedly getting some tweks after a what, a decade later - more taper.

If they have slightly tweaked the layup in the tips/tails for more torsional compliance as well, and possibly made it possible to mount a bit more forward than +2 (which is still -12) then that ski could be even better.

I am curious what happens to the BMT too. It is my understanding that it is not offered over yonder this year, while be available for DPS type money here in euroland. I prefer the V werks construction to DPS' Pagoda - better flex patterns and more damp imho (based on an extremely limited number of runs on Lotus 117 Pagoda).
    By torsional compliance, do you mean softer torsionally?

In what conditions would you like this?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    A = Adult
    C = Child

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    By torsional compliance, do you mean softer torsionally?

In what conditions would you like this?
    yeah, I found KVWs to be overly stiff and harsh torsionally in certain conditions ( for instance super dense soft snow with some variable, ice patches and small drops added in, aka bottom of the run three skiing when touring). Sure, one could argue that an increase in torsional rigidity at the tips makes for more power and precision and that it finishes a turn stronger, but it could also cause deflection and having the tails feel punishing. I prefer BMT's 6 carbon layer layup to the KVWs 11 for just that reason. I dunno, low swing weight and a lot of torsional rigidity is not always a home run, even if KVWs ski awesomely in most conditions. It could be that increased taper might mix this by making them more slarvy / easier to release.

I did not find KVWs to be too stiff longitudinal / lengthwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Nah it’s the same, just stupid tall ugh
    then just put the new painted part on a pre-GW pedestal, and get a lower front end with the desired look

yeah, I found KVWs to be overly stiff and harsh torsionally in certain conditions ( for instance super dense soft snow with some variable, ice patches and small drops added in, aka bottom of the run three skiing when touring). Sure, one could argue that an increase in torsional rigidity at the tips makes for more power and precision and that it finishes a turn stronger, but it could also cause deflection and having the tails feel punishing. I prefer BMT's 6 carbon layer layup to the KVWs 11 for just that reason. I dunno, low swing weight and a lot of torsional rigidity is not always a home run, even if KVWs ski awesomely in most conditions. It could be that increased taper might mix this by making them more slarvy / easier to release.

then just put the new painted part on a pre-GW pedestal, and get a lower front end with the desired look
    I find the KVW to be the ultimate lift serviced big mountain soft and variable snow ski, using them with my alpine boots. However, I don’t need that much power when ski touring, which is pretty much 100% good quality powder skiing, so I go with something lighter , more playful, and easier to tame with my touring boots. Currently DPS Wailer 112 Pagoda Tours and G3 Synapse 109s, but I’m sure I’d get along great with BMT 109s. I truly can’t imagine how the the KVWs could be improved for what I need, but I have a lot of faith in Volkl’s engineers to find a way. I’m seeing a trend (M102s and Kendos) to make their high performance traditional skis a little more accessible, without significantly compromising their high end, keeping their aging demographic (including myself) satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by CYJ View Post
    Am I understanding correctly the new Dalbello’s new ‘Cabrio’ line remains the same in terms of internal last/fit, and they’re just deciding to call it a 99 mm last moving forward?
    I can confirm that the Lupo / Krypton go away

I find the KVW to be the ultimate lift serviced big mountain soft and variable snow ski, using them with my alpine boots. However, I don’t need that much power when ski touring, which is pretty much 100% good quality powder skiing, so I go with something lighter , more playful, and easier to tame with my touring boots. Currently DPS Wailer 112 Pagoda Tours and G3 Synapse 109s, but I’m sure I’d get along great with BMT 109s. I truly can’t imagine how the the KVWs could be improved for what I need, but I have a lot of faith in Volkl’s engineers to find a way. I’m seeing a trend (M102s and Kendos) to make their high performance traditional skis a little more accessible, without significantly compromising their high end, keeping their aging demographic (including myself) satisfied.
    yeah, Katana VWs are freaking amazing skis. I just remember ON3P Wrenegade 114s being way better and less fatiguing to ski in said zone. I am a lighter and not so powerful guy though, so it could be that a heavier stronger skier might not feel what I am feeling.

As a sidenote - it is kinda interesting to see how much more torsionally stiffer BMT109s are (20% according to Sooth skis measurements) compared to DPS Lotus Pagoda (aka their regular layup, not the tour layup). Völkl truly have developed something fantastic in the V Werks construction. Too bad they have gotten to be so mind numbingly expensive - if still more affordable than said skis from DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Irip are replacements actually wider as suggested by 99mm last?
    Last edited by turnfarmer; 01-14-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Hard to believe Dalbello is walking away from the Branding of Krypton/Lupo.

Why do you think I have a box of 15 pre GW AFD’s

New Asym cambered Nocta sounds pretty tasty

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk