What do you most look forward to each year?

A lot of us are still in ski mode. But now that the days are getting longer I can't help but start to think about what's around the corner.

For me, there are definitely a few highlights

Starts with blue wings

Next up, March Browns

Then caddis. Lots of caddis

And of course, the most anticipated hatch of the year

More to come but whatcha got?

4/20.

Tarpon Season
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1672932490.349057.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	441297

Overnighting in the canyon

Name:	Image1672932584.131131.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	441298

And yea, I like Swimmy look forward to the big bugs

Name:	Image1672932652.373336.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	441301

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

What do you most look forward to each year?

Last year I got absolutely hooked on Musky fishing with a fly. Spending this winter scoping out boat ramps and making plans. Example: tomorrow I am skiing at Christie Mountain, afterwards I am visiting two boat ramps on the Chippewa that are under 5 miles away from the ski hill and seeing if a road bike shuttle is feasible or if a mountain bike will be better. I’ve got big plans for this summer !

Name:	Image1672944879.291516.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	441329

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Was just talking to a fishing buddy this morning about how I’m yearning for high alpine lakes with rising cutthroat

New waters. And old familiar ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    4/20.
    Sounds like James is coming up from NM this year, w/ boat.

Name:	12375108_1681631008721486_988575689588104388_o.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	441371

Name:  IMG_2118.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  43.5 KB

Although, I really look forward to fishing The Fork with maggots this spring.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

agree with swimmy but rarely get to come across the Salmonfly hatch here in CO...yes occasionally the Colorado when it is low enough runoff and the Rio Grande sometimes works....never gotten the Gunnison timing right but don't try very hard.....but yes March/April midges and BWOs start the show!

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Tarpon Season
    One of the guys I hosted at Big Sky last week has a beach house in Florida. He gave me an open invite if I ever want to chase tarpon. I should probably take him up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Last year I got absolutely hooked on Musky fishing with a fly.
    That eat probably haunts you. Looking forward to the reports this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Was just talking to a fishing buddy this morning about how I’m yearning for high alpine lakes with rising cutthroat
    No doubt. Late July/August we move into the high country.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    agree with swimmy but rarely get to come across the Salmonfly hatch here in CO...
    We are fortunate here to have options with big bugs. You could chase them for two months..which I normally do.

They show up on the lower river a little earlier but I usually start here around Memorial Day. (if anyone wants to trade trips, I'd love to fish a day or two on the lower river during the hatch. Heard it is a zoo but I'd love to check it out at least once.)

Then we get 'em here for at least a week

Then maybe 10 days to two weeks here

A few days around here

If you still wanted more you still have options...

And then after almost two months you can wrap it up here

Even thought this piece is known more for its Golden Stone hatch, I've also caught 'em here in mid May which can be fun.

Oh and this is mostly why I bought the tow behind. Sure it is kind of a pain but man does make for a nice base camp. It is pretty much home for the month of June.

Getting stoked just typing this.

Chucking cranks for giant smallies in early april before anyone thinks it’s time to start fishing then again in the late fall when everyone thinks the fish are to deep.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    They show up on the lower river a little earlier but I usually start here around Memorial Day. (if anyone wants to trade trips, I'd love to fish a day or two on the lower river during the hatch. Heard it is a zoo but I'd love to check it out at least once.)
    Don't bother. It's worse than a zoo. Below Ashton, it's one of the worst angling experiences in the west. Its awful. There are so many boats running a rod length off the bank that the fish get hazed into deep waters. Its almost pointless because the ridiculous pressure changes the fish feeding behavior. Seriously, by day 2 you can out fish everyone pounding the bank with big dries by running small nymphs in the holes.

I'll take ice-out fishing over any specific hatch. Lots of hatches but ice-out only comes once a year.

Name:	20190326_143159.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	441758
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-08-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    4/20.
    Fuck yeah, looking forward to another lap to Boblandia.

Soothed my soul last year...

Name:	Image1673197245.972903.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	441762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1673197267.396167.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	441763
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Don't bother. It's worse than a zoo. Below Ashton, it's one of the worst angling experiences in the west. Its awful. There are so many boats running a rod length off the bank that the fish get hazed into deep waters. Its almost pointless because the ridiculous pressure changes the fish feeding behavior. Seriously, by day 2 you can out fish everyone pounding the bank with big dries by running small nymphs in the holes.
    I'm ok fishing around others but this sounds a bit much. Thanks for sharing.

I dig the spring thaw. Don’t much care what’s hatching anymore but I certainly understand the excitement. Every Jan-feb I start looking at maps, (digital, old school quads and paging through gazetteers). Always fun scouting out a few new streams or sections of streams I haven’t been to when there are multiple feet of snow outside my window.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Late last year I got a big itch to fish some of small streams emanating from the drainages northwest of the SRP. My GF used to work for Idaho DEQ backcountry stream surveys and some of the data (it's public) she led me to was pretty eye opening. If I make it up that way a TR will follow for sure.

In my new hood it should be easier to get into the high alpine to fish some lakes, that'll be a new experience for me and one I look forward to.

Would also love to get some salt in, but the surf fishing during my biannual pilgrimage home doesn't correspond to the migration patterns well. Trout are great but found myself yearning for some esox and other species last year. Said it before and I'll say it again, the salt water fishing is probably the only thing I truly miss about the EC.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    A few drifts in relative solitude in Wyoming early spring is just around the corner. Then Bob’s 4/20 shindig. Always seem to miss the Cicada madness and prolly will again this year. But Green Drakes, sallies, and ants right on the heels of that and just before Dibs gets to heckle the shit out of the redd rapers to close out the year.

Have the Striker to use in addition to the clack this year. Excited about that little duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Have the Striker to use in addition to the clack this year. Excited about that little duck.
    You're gonna love it.

Pretty sure I will be doing the 4/20 trip.

Also trying to secure several permits for fish/backpacking trips in the park.

We usually do a spring guy's trip (12-15 ppl). Always waaay too many adult beverages (is there such a thing? ) Lots of laughs and good food. No traveling this year, we decided to stay local instead. Might be hitting the end of BWO and possibly the start of the Caddis hatch.

Annual salt water mission. I leave Monday for Turneffe =>Placencia=>Quintana Roo.

Gonna be a good time.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Strippers.

Er stripers?

Or both.