Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Shipping for 1 - $60, shipping for 2 $300
    Separate the orders?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Girlfriend is borrowing one from her friend and I'm gonna use the old Dakine again. The last time I used it was with a Med Yeti SB150....hoping the GG Gnarvana fits a little better.
    Let us know how it goes. Always anxious to hear the lates bike travel situation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

As a data point: Ms CE and I just did a trip to New Zealand on Fiji Airways with domestic flights on NZ Airlines. We had cardboard boxes with our gravel bikes and all bikepacking gear inside. They weighed right at the limit.

The counter person in SFO asked if we'd paid for oversize luggage and we said "no, those are bicycles" and that was that. No charges.

In NZ they didn't even take a second look except to weigh the bikes and make us swap some stuff around to get them closer to the limit (both were a few # over), but they didn't charge anything. Interestingly, they have bike boxes and tape available at several airports, which really facilitates multi city trips.

Fiji once again didn't care about our bikes.

One box burst open on the conveyer at SFO, but all contents were inside of it. Finding tape outside of customs so I could get it onto one of the criminally overpriced carts was the biggest bike transport challenge of the whole trip.

Next trip: cardboard boxes all the way.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Anyone selling a bike bag?

Thanks for sharing.
    How did you deal with ground transport? And box storage?

We had a hookup that picked us up at the airport in Blenheim, and we left the boxes and packing materials there.

It was a point-to-point trip, so when we arrived in Queenstown we acquired some packing stuff from a shop (shout-out to Bikeaholic) and found one box at the airport and bought another used one from them for $10 NZ. I packed everything up in the grass outside of the airport door and we were off. Obviously this kind of move would be harder in 'Muhrica.

But yeah, boxes suck for ground transport or even for carrying across the airport. But I'm convinced that with careful packing they are safe enough and you can't beat the price or weight.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Blowout pricing. Not sure it's the size you're looking for. I just ordered one and shipping to the states is $60. Still makes it a screaming deal and the bag seems pretty decent. Wiggle is a legit business.

https://www.wiggle.com/wiggle-pro-bi...&sku=100238424
    The bag just showed up, way nicer than I anticipated. Wiggle owns Chain Reaction Cycles so yeah, very legit. Here is the same bag with that brand on it for more reviews. My take after looking at it is that most of the complaints can be fixed with a little bit of foam and straps at BB connection point to add some stability. Road bikes and mountain bikes that arent properly secured report flopping around inside and when that happens the weight isn't being distributed down, so it gets tippy is the jist of most complaints.

Kinda hard to go wrong here for $160 if you don't want to go the box route and it fits your bike.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The bag just showed up, way nicer than I anticipated. Wiggle owns Chain Reaction Cycles so yeah, very legit. Here is the same bag with that brand on it for more reviews. My take after looking at it is that most of the complaints can be fixed with a little bit of foam and straps at BB connection point to add some stability. Road bikes and mountain bikes that arent properly secured report flopping around inside and when that happens the weight isn't being distributed down, so it gets tippy is the jist of most complaints.

Kinda hard to go wrong here for $160 if you don't want to go the box route and it fits your bike.
    I wish this info would have been up in November. Bought a dakine or similar bag but this looks better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Got mine this week too. I think it’s gonna be good but will need more padding as you said.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    GFs bike/bag is at 49lbs but I'm 3 lbs over on mine. Stupid inserts/heavy tires. I already removed the rear shock. Don't know what else I can really take off easily and put in another bag. Taking the cassette off is not really an option. I'm not flying with a billion tools.

GFs bike/bag is at 49lbs but I'm 3 lbs over on mine. Stupid inserts/heavy tires. I already removed the rear shock. Don't know what else I can really take off easily and put in another bag. Taking the cassette off is not really an option. I'm not flying with a billion tools.
    The weigh limit is 23kg or 50.7 if you want to get technical.
    The easiest pieces to remove from the bike and put in your luggage are:
    -Pedals are already removed (400g for the an XTR 9100, so .88 of a pound)
    -Rotors are already removed (I hope) (190g each for a 203mm rotor and bolts, so .83 of a pound)
    If you still need something else, the saddle would be my next choice to remove.
    -Saddle (250g for a typical CroMo rail MTB saddle, so .55 of a pound).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok so I pulled pedals. Rotors are centerlock so I'm not fucking with those. The dakine bags have a really heavy duty foam over them. So far so good on the several flights ive done. Just remembered dropper post + saddle and pulled those. Hovering right around 50-50.5 lbs.

I think you clearly stated the answer in your OP.

“Stupid inserts/heavy tires”

Would you be interested in selling that box? I'm planning a trip to the Baja Divide in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I have a cardboard box I’ll sell cheap
    Don't sell yourself short, those are going for a lot of $$ in ski towns as housing
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The weigh limit is 23kg or 50.7 if you want to get technical.
    The easiest pieces to remove from the bike and put in your luggage are:
    -Pedals are already removed (400g for the an XTR 9100, so .88 of a pound)
    -Rotors are already removed (I hope) (190g each for a 203mm rotor and bolts, so .83 of a pound)
    If you still need something else, the saddle would be my next choice to remove.
    -Saddle (250g for a typical CroMo rail MTB saddle, so .55 of a pound).
    What's a typical chain weigh? Seems that'd be pretty easy to pull and bag, using a quick link.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ditch the inserts for your trip. At least ditch the front one. But really just ditch them both.
    Logic I used for Italy trip was that I wanted to be able to change a flat on trail. Cushcore is great for our local trails when we can ride it out to the car. But in Italy, an unchangeable CushCore flat could have us hiking back up several hundred meters and many miles before the end of a ride. Plus, some of the trails end with 4-5 miles of bikepath to town, which would be unpossible on a flat Cushcore. Get over it and budget for the occasional flat with innertube repair like we did in the olden days.

Edit: Found this how-to for building a DIY corrugated plastic bike box: https://www.endlessmountainsar.com/n...ook-bike-boxes Based on quick googling, the plastic is maybe 0.15 lbs/sq ft. For 2 sheets, that would be about 10lbs. With whatever straps, rivits, buckles, etc are added to make it wour, it'll probably end up being close to a proper bike bag.
    Last edited by jm2e; 01-18-2023 at 08:48 PM.

If anyone is interested in an Orucase, I might be looking to sell my Large Ninja in the coming months. Used only once or twice.

https://www.orucase.com/products/the...le-travel-case

Whoa, 10.8 lbs? That's sick! How is it to pack?
    I can see dropping my fork, but not if there's also a lot of cable stretching and weird positioning origami to wrestle it in just the right way.

10.8 lbs sounds fantastic. But just based on my use of bike bags in the past, a lack of wheels (on the case) is a deal breaker.

I’ll tape a couple marbles to the bottom of a cardboard box for a small additional fee

Anyone selling a bike bag?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    10.8 lbs sounds fantastic. But just based on my use of bike bags in the past, a lack of wheels (on the case) is a deal breaker.
    Looks like they sell a wheeled version.
    Although it costs a $100 more and brings the weight to 15lbs.

The pics of the dude carrying it like a backpack are funny. That ain’t no enduro bike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    If anyone is interested in an Orucase, I might be looking to sell my Large Ninja in the coming months. Used only once or twice.

https://www.orucase.com/products/the...le-travel-case
    What kind of bike do you fit in there? My friend sent me his Orucase to try and use, but it wasn't even close to fitting my large GG Gnarvana. It seems like the dimensions precluded any modern L or XL "longer" bike from fitting without major compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What kind of bike do you fit in there? My friend sent me his Orucase to try and use, but it wasn't even close to fitting my large GG Gnarvana. It seems like the dimensions precluded any modern L or XL "longer" bike from fitting without major compromise.
    Doh - my bad, I missed the "enduro" part of the original post. Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up - sounds like smmokan has the answer.

I'm packing a 58cm road bike. Will take pics and share with the thread, if it seems useful from a sizing perspective, but it sounds like enduros are too big.

Even just dealing with 148/110 hub specs is a challenge when packing bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looks like they sell a wheeled version.
    Although it costs a $100 more and brings the weight to 15lbs.

The pics of the dude carrying it like a backpack are funny. That ain’t no enduro bike!!!

Claimed weight on my Dakine bag is 13 lbs, wheeled and easy to roll. We got our second one on sale from Jenson last spring for $315. They do get a little heavy and can be prone to tipping over due to the low placement of the handle in front. It is challenging to keep it under weight. I can do it if I pack the pedals, coil shock, and rotors separately. Kind of frustrating especially when I had visions of putting my helmet and other shit in there. It is what it is though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air