Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Anyone selling a bike bag?

I have an older Dakine which I like, but it's smaller from when bikes were smaller and my last two enduro rigs barely fit. The GF is gonna use my old bag and I want a new one......but don't really want to spend $400

You can use mine if you come down and get it!

I’m actually considering going back to a bike box, as the Dakine bag weighs something like 12 pounds by itself. That can be the difference between making 50#’s loaded or not.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm in the market for one for a road bike (so smaller). If either of you guys want to lighten the load, hit me up.

Here's one that looks pretty good for bigger bikes. Yes, it's nearing $400 ... but ... it's new.
    https://www.biknd.com/jetpack-xl/jet...s1000316-group

I have a cardboard box I’ll sell cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I have a cardboard box I’ll sell cheap
    dibs

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You can use mine if you come down and get it!

I’m actually considering going back to a bike box, as the Dakine bag weighs something like 12 pounds by itself. That can be the difference between making 50#’s loaded or not.
    Just be super nice to the bag check agent, pre-pay for your bag online, and play dumb like you didn't already know the bag weighs 62 lbs. My success rate is about 50% using this not-so-tried and true method.

I forgot about the box method. I may try this. The dakine is one of the lightest bags and I still had to remove my Push coil for the Mexico trip in 2021 and put it in another bag. PITA. One of my friends paid $300 for his bike bag on that trip lol.

I’d charge you less than half that for a box

I've been thinking about flying the bike in a box. But the problem with a box is that, if it's haggard after the first leg of the journey, you have to rustle up a new one for the return trip. That seems like it's potentially a hassle.

I'm 50/50 on flying with a cardboard box that could be re-used again. A couple times the box has been fine, the other two it was pretty well mangled by the airline.

Not as much an issue now but it was very hard to find boxes during covid when shops weren't getting much or any new inventory. But could be an issue if the area you're flying to doesn't have a lot of busy shops.

Some bike clubs and shops have them for rent. Might be worth asking around. Or rent from a friend.

been using a tardis ground effect bag for a few years. been able to get the bike, some tools, and loads of padding in them without going overweight.
    airlines seem to abuse them - need to replace bags soon, but have only had rub marks and one bent brake to date.
    bag packs away small, which has been handy for travel.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just be super nice to the bag check agent, pre-pay for your bag online, and play dumb like you didn't already know the bag weighs 62 lbs. My success rate is about 50% using this not-so-tried and true method.
    I almost always don't get charged here at the gate in JH, but ALWAYS trying to leave S.A. and Mexico.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have an extra hard case bike box you can have. I think I still owe you for an old rocky (maybe hammer) frame you gave me years ago.

I'm in banff, come visit/collect

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I have an extra hard case bike box you can have. I think I still owe you for an old rocky (maybe hammer) frame you gave me years ago.

I'm in banff, come visit/collect
    Ahh I would and I need to come up that way to ski.....alas, I am heading to MX in like 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ahh I would and I need to come up that way to ski.....alas, I am heading to MX in like 10 days.
    let me know, THe fat biking is good hear right now. skiing is more meh

yeah so I traveled with 2 touring bikes to france, one in a real bike carrier that we borrowed off the GF's ex which he used to travel to triathalons altho it might not have looked enough like a bike carrier and a box from the LBS that a kona came in

On the real bike box which was likely worth > the bike inside they pried the lock and probably said " alors what a pile of shit !" but they didnt look in my kona box, I often wonder about that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've got two of those older Dakine bags as well. Going to Italy last summer I had to pull the Push coil off my wife's bike to make weight as well. Even put pedals in my other suitcase. This is the flip side of paying $200 per bike each way like we used to do (but back then we could do like 70lbs and really load them down).
    I find that traveling with a shock pump and dropping the fork makes a big difference, but yea those bags weren't designed for 29er long travel rigs.
    As mentioned above, I'm thinking about cardboard box for future trips because of the weight. I think I'd try to ghetto rig or custom build one though since packing them toaster style is always a fucking nightmare for me. Thinking about using corrugated white plastic sign board and building it to open on the large side so that it loads like a bike bag......
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    been using a tardis ground effect bag for a few years. been able to get the bike, some tools, and loads of padding in them without going overweight.
    airlines seem to abuse them - need to replace bags soon, but have only had rub marks and one bent brake to date.
    bag packs away small, which has been handy for travel.
    How much padding? What kind of bike? I Watched video and that bag seems super flimsy but the reviews and your endorsement have me interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Laps; 01-06-2023 at 05:41 AM.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Or if possible fly Alaska airlines, they don't charge extra for any sporting equipment. Or at least that was the policy when I went to the PNW in 2019

I used to have one of these. Bikeflights threatened to make something like it at one point. They seem unobtainable now.

We had a sewer problem in our first house that led to me throwing it out...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I used to have one of these. Bikeflights threatened to make something like it at one point. They seem unobtainable now.

We had a sewer problem in our first house that led to me throwing it out...
    Article says “They weigh about 22 pounds empty”.
    That’s a couple lbs heavier than the old Dakine bag with pads.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I have an older Dakine which I like, but it's smaller from when bikes were smaller and my last two enduro rigs barely fit. The GF is gonna use my old bag and I want a new one......but don't really want to spend $400
    Blowout pricing. Not sure it's the size you're looking for. I just ordered one and shipping to the states is $60. Still makes it a screaming deal and the bag seems pretty decent. Wiggle is a legit business.

https://www.wiggle.com/wiggle-pro-bi...&sku=100238424

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Article says “They weigh about 22 pounds empty”.
    That’s a couple lbs heavier than the old Dakine bag with pads.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It was heavy but had a lot of extra internal stuff that you could slim down or use carboard for instead. It protected better than any bag as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Blowout pricing. Not sure it's the size you're looking for. I just ordered one and shipping to the states is $60. Still makes it a screaming deal and the bag seems pretty decent. Wiggle is a legit business.

https://www.wiggle.com/wiggle-pro-bi...&sku=100238424
    Shipping for 1 - $60, shipping for 2 $300

Formerly Rludes025

Girlfriend is borrowing one from her friend and I'm gonna use the old Dakine again. The last time I used it was with a Med Yeti SB150....hoping the GG Gnarvana fits a little better.