Snowmobiler killed in avalanche North of Cooke City 12-31-22

From the Gallatin Avalanche Center

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm3QyHLu..._web_copy_link

We are sad to report, on December 31 a snowmobiler was killed in a very large avalanche north of Cooke City, MT. The avalanche occurred on a southeast facing slope at 9,800’. Two riders from Washington were snowmobiling uphill on adjacent slopes. One was climbing a steeper slope and triggered the avalanche 100-200’ below the top. He was carried 600 vertical feet and buried 5 feet deep. The buried rider was wearing an airbag pack that was not deployed. Both riders had shovels and probes. They were not wearing avalanche beacons. A nearby group of riders rode up to the slide within minutes after it happened, saw a buried snowmobile and began to search for the buried rider. One rider from that group went into Cooke City to alert Search and Rescue. The buried rider was located with a probe line an hour after the avalanche happened. He was unable to be revived with CPR and AED at the site. The avalanche appeared to be 2-4' deep, 500' wide, ran 600' vertical, and broke on weak snow near the bottom of the snowpack. Our deepest condolences go out to the family, friends, and those involved.

Sad day, but air bags and shovel/probe but no beacons? wut

1st Sunny day after several days of snow and wind. RIP.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Sad day, but air bags and shovel/probe but no beacons? wut
    for realz!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Back in the day, I heard that some machiner's thought it was too difficult to use a transceiver, so they would rather just use a airbag. Hell airbags are full proof, right? With the new modern digital three antenna talking transceivers, you'd think the issues of the older transceivers wouldn't come into play anymore.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Back in the day, I heard that some machiner's thought it was too difficult to use a transceiver, so they would rather just use a airbag. Hell airbags are full proof, right? With the new modern digital three antenna talking transceivers, you'd think the issues of the older transceivers wouldn't come into play anymore.
    Back in the day, none of the beacon reps even tried selling to powersports dealers. BCA broke that mold, but the others are still more focused on selling to someone else. Some beacon manufacturers even sponsor lawsuits against snow machines. We shouldn't be surprised there's little buy-in from the slednecks.

It's difficult to say what happened. He didn't deploy his airbag so.....did it malfunction? Did he forget he had one on? Was the slide too violent to pull the handle? Sounds like a beacon would have only been for body recovery or maybe the brother would have got to him if he had one? Too many variables unanswered. Looks like a terrible face to be roosting up. RIP

Our local snowmobile club had beacon practice in November

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    Some beacon manufacturers even sponsor lawsuits against snow machines. We shouldn't be surprised there's little buy-in from the slednecks.
    Not saying you are wrong but care to provide 1 example? "Most" of the hardcore sled necks who actually live around here (Montana) are pretty educated these days thanks to the work of the GNFAC.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Not saying you are wrong but care to provide 1 example?
    Black Diamond sponsored Winter Wildlands Alliance for a long time, and also had a "we support the Winter Wildlands" essay written by David Page on their website for several years. Winter Wildlands is the primary litigant against snowmobiling in the U.S.

BD and Pieps are a tough sell to the motorized crowd.

BD is hardly the only one. Current WWA sponsors include Patagonia, REI, Osprey, and more. I really try to avoid companies that support the WWA.

Honestly BCA is probably the only company in that space that welcomes the moto crowd. Most are either silent or openly antagonistic with their WWA support.

i am sure the companies that made their air bags, shovels and probes do not make beacons. Klim even markets a Pieps with their name on it. Everyone can have an opinion on the outdoor industry and the relationship to snowmachines. However it has no place in a discussion of this incident or avalanche safety.
    off your knees Louie

maybe 20 yrs ago sledders were unaware nowdays I know avalanche Canada gives seminars to both groups

but I find it unpossible that any retailer would refuse to take money from a motor head,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Refuse to take money from? Probably not, but as GB notes BCA is the only major avalanche safety gear manufacturer that both makes products specifically for and markets directly to the motorized crowd.

Same thing in the education world. There's still only a handful of places that one can take motorized Level 1 and Level 2 classes.

I certainly don't think that the outdoor industry (both manufacturers and educational providers) approach to the motorized world, which ranges from ambivalent to openly hostile, is HELPING improve avalanche awareness for motorized users.

The forecast centers are generally doing a great job with outreach to both the motorized and human powered communities.

well you gotta find a qualifyed instructor who doesnt think all sledders are the anti-christ

I know one guide who does courses locally for anybody with $$$ including sledders, another is pretty busy using sleds to get around reporting for avalanche canada and the other definalty thinks sledders are the anti-christ
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    Black Diamond sponsored Winter Wildlands Alliance for a long time, and also had a "we support the Winter Wildlands" essay written by David Page on their website for several years. Winter Wildlands is the primary litigant against snowmobiling in the U.S.

BD and Pieps are a tough sell to the motorized crowd.
    you should contact Polaris and let them know that. Maybe they will find someone other than Pieps to partner with.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The forecast centers are generally doing a great job with outreach to both the motorized and human powered communities.
    Sierra Avalanche Center (Tahoe area forecaster) does motorized classes (Level 1, 2, and Rescue) for free. (Funded by a combination of state OHV fees and donations.)

Some beacon manufacturers even sponsor lawsuits against snow machines.
    While I did ask for ONE example and you provided that, "Some" does imply more than one and as said above, Pieps manufactures beacons, BD is the distributor. Minor point but....

And it seems to me that there are quite a few avalanche awareness programs directed at snowmobilers.

https://www.google.com/search?client...wmobilers#ip=1

Are too many still dying in avalanches? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    While I did ask for ONE example and you provided that, "Some" does imply more than one and as said above, Pieps manufactures beacons, BD is the distributor. Minor point but....

And it seems to me that there are quite a few avalanche awareness programs directed at snowmobilers.

https://www.google.com/search?client...wmobilers#ip=1

Are too many still dying in avalanches? Yes.
    Education won’t change the number of fatalities imo

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

But it might change the fatality rate.