NYE Fatality Breckinridge

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Just horrible. Second father-kid in a week. All are tragic, but this seems to be the worst situation. Heart breaking. RIP

Fack. Rip. I presume no bc gear. Sad

Awful

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...hern-colorado/

Nick Feinstein, son of the UNC President. These aren't new folks to CO.

Where are we missing in the awareness messaging?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post

Oh wow, horrible - I graduated from there last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human nature? Avalanche classes have really begun to emphasize the decision making and how people think. IMO a part of the problem is that most people think it won't happen to them.

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there you are doing good work.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That gate on Peak 10 is so easily accessed and heavily patronized. Perhaps it needs more alarmist messaging? Mandatory beacon check to be able to open the gate?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyTru View Post
    That gate on Peak 10 is so easily accessed and heavily patronized. Perhaps it needs more alarmist messaging? Mandatory beacon check to be able to open the gate?
    Well, folks would just go around the gate..
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Well, folks would just go around the gate..
    Force the 5 newest yellow jackets to take turns manning the gate.

IMO its an issue of easy access meets dunning-kruger. People who can ski inbounds blacks or even double blacks think they are experts and "belong" out the gates with the other expert skiers they see out there. Ever read the youtube comments on avalanche videos- filled with very confident, unrealistic monday morning QBing. And because there is no investment (money for equipment, time/sweat for a big hike) required, its really easy to make that snap decision to "just send it".

It's certainly a valid question in general but I don't necessarily think it's valid simply because these two were 'more educated'. The university president recently moved there after serving in San Jose and Las Vegas. There's no reason to believe their education would include backcountry savvy any more than any other executive.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It's certainly a valid question in general but I don't necessarily think it's valid simply because these two were 'more educated'. The university president recently moved there after serving in San Jose and Las Vegas. There's no reason to believe their education would include backcountry savvy any more than any other executive.
    I think Summit was emphasizing that "these aren't new folks to CO," which is to say that they should be veterans to the area who are familiar with the dangers of avalanche risk. But, exposure and proximity to the backcountry didn't improve their awareness; so what can we do more to improve people's awareness to backcountry/sidecountry avalanche risk?

Personally, I think there's something to be said about how powder days are marketed to the larger populace. It's almost like an entitlement, and the glory/entertainment of skiing is so heavily emphasized while the risk of injury is marginalized. And, when it comes to injury, I feel like the general public thinks of 1.) Hitting a tree, 2.) Breaking a knee, and 3.) Running into people. When it comes to fluffy snow with cold/warm temperature changes, I don't think most people think of avalanche risk. They probably think it's a bomber bluebird day where they can hit some sweet powder without freezing their faces off.

I guess I'm saying we should post less posters of face shots. Or, maybe there should be a warning label at the bottom of the picture talking about how that powder's looking to kill you some day...

The titty deep pics in the JH thread are enticing.

I’m always amazed by snow stability and instability.

It’s magic. And science. And a roll of the dice at times.

RIP
    Sad they didn’t have gear. Also sad looking at the pic of a modest slope into a terrain trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Human nature? Avalanche classes have really begun to emphasize the decision making and how people think. IMO a part of the problem is that most people think it won't happen to them.
    https://sentinelcolorado.com/news/st...nts-adult-son/

the place they skied is pretty unassuming nothing "extreme" about it pretty mellow area that most people wouldn't think twice about hitting
    but they picked the wrong day wrong time to ride it normally it'd be shit after two sunny days in arow
    this is just like the avalanche on hoosier a year or two ago 1/4 mile from the lift 1/4 mile from the car feels safe
    hey wait it's pretty much like all avalanches

What a shitty thing. As a dad, I just couldn't imagine. That's all I got.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    What a shitty thing. As a dad, I just couldn't imagine. That's all I got.
    Yeah and then to realize that if you had then proper gear you may have been able to save your son. Fuck that's gonna be hard to get over.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

But, also, if your son had been savvy enough to stop in a safer spot, then this might have ended better.

It doesn't appear that either of them knew enough to be skiing safely in that area.

We were at Francie's, not too far from here the next few days after the incident. Thoughts to the family and that dad... I can't even imagine. I was surprised how thin that all was in there and what was there was super hollow.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.