How much camber loss is too much camber loss?

just pulled an old pair of sticks out of storage on a whim. they're ~15 years old and haven't been skied (nor mounted) in about six years. stored vertically, horizontally, topsheet to base, base to base, loose, everything in between

one of the skis appears to have lost some shape

two part question:
    • how much camber loss is too much camber loss?
    • how much camber loss is too much in comparison to the other ski?

danke

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    just pulled an old pair of sticks out of storage on a whim. they're ~15 years old and haven't been skied (nor mounted) in about six years. stored vertically, horizontally, topsheet to base, base to base, loose, everything in between

one of the skis appears to have lost some shape

two part question:
    • how much camber loss is too much camber loss?
    • how much camber loss is too much in comparison to the other ski?

danke
    I'm not an authority on this whatsoever but how much difference compared to the other ski are we talking?

Personally, I'd ski them, switching the skis between feet, and find out how they feel.

3-4 mm drop at core center and another 1-2mm drop moving towards the tip. no significant loss in the tail

to be clear, this is a traditional camber ski and a notoriously soft one

Why would you want to ski a notoriously soft traditional camber ski? There's probably a good reason you haven't skied them in 6 years. If you've got a spare pair of bindings lying around and can mount them yourself you could ski them and find out. Otherwise why spend the money to find out why they're in storage

Bumping this: With about 100 days on my MTN 95 Explore touring skis, I noticed recently that there is not much camber left, maybe about 1 - 2 mil between the skis, and collapsing more underneath the toe piece. Has anyone experience camber loss faster on touring skis? And does it really matter?

Skis still lose that much camber?!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Props to praxis/keith on this front. Im amazed at 2-300 days on my gpo's and they still have factory camber on them. Havent lost even a mm

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm wondering if touring skis, with lighter and less durable materials, are more susceptible to this.

Too much is when they no longer fulfil your exoectations of that pair of skis in particular.

A good pair of burly skis that have been beaten flat and soft(er) over time are the best. Damp, smooth, and smeary, but they can still charge.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A good pair of burly skis that have been beaten flat and soft(er) over time are the best. Damp, smooth, and smeary, but they can still charge.
    I bought some used 2017 Blizzard Brahma 187s a couple years back that barely have any camber left (maybe 1mm in each ski). They’re my rock skis and I only bust them out on low tide days, but your description sums them up pretty well.