Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    Probably the only suggestion that is in line with the OP's wishes is the Mango 110. Most of the other suggestions in this thread are absolutely no where near what an SFB is.
    To be fair not many people have been on that ski and basically every other 110-112 ski was mentioned
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Ouch- in all fairness, the Bacons are a bit soft for me and would like a bit more muscle...looking at the K2 Reckoner 112s...
    Jeffrey 110. Seriously.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Jeffrey 110. Seriously.
    I'm inclined to agree. And as a bonus, the bases are the most durable I've come across, and that certainly matters in these parts.

Ouch- in all fairness, the Bacons are a bit soft for me and would like a bit more muscle...looking at the K2 Reckoner 112s...

then get a rustler 11 and stop playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    V Werks Katana… why not start at the top?
    V-werx katana is the best 112mm ski for sure, and it's what I came here to say when I read the thread title.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

You idiots out measuring your dicks too? Just go ski, what is up with these stupid gapicski threads??? JFC

Bringing this thread back to the top. I'm wondering what OP ended up with.

I'm the rare TGR nerd that rides the SFB, too. So much hate for that ski around here. I ride the newer (2022) 107ww, so I can't directly compare it to the older ski. I find the 2022 to be pretty darned fun if it's your style of ski and fits you (I'm 6', 160lbs wet). I don't need much more ski. It bangs through trees with aplomb, floats powder with a crazy fun surfy style, carves soft groomers and slithers through moguls. I like that I can ski every inch of the ski, from tip to tail (former snowboarder here with "untraditional" technique).

It hates chop and chunder, it has a speed limit (that if you're psycho you just push through anyway) and is borderline terrifying on ice.

I'm on the same quest as OP, though I keep wandering back to the SFB. All I'm really looking to accomplish is a slightly longer radius and a more damp performer. I think I still like the progressive mount point, so here are the skis on my list:

4FRNT Devastator. Full rocker. No metal. 108ww
    ON3P Jeffrey 110 (TGR's suggestion in my last thread). Deep rocker lines. No metal.
    Dynastar MFree 108. Lots of tip/tail taper. Deep rocker lines. No metal (that I know of..)
    J Skis Hotshot. More traditional rocker lines, metal and heft.

I've heard great things about all of them. I've watched the Jeff and Mfree in action (they look like they ski similarly). I ski a 4FRNT Switch as my park/groomer/spring ski, but the Dev has a very different profile.

I bet I could be happy on any of them. Dev's are sold out in 186. J Ski's is doing the free Pivot 14 with purchase of ski's, deal (pretty solid deal). Hmmmmm.......

I haven't even gotten the Faction La Machine's delivered that I ordered last week, yet. I should pace my ski buying, but the mid season deals are here or coming.

FWIW, I have the 120 Bent's and don't totally Jive with them. Some would say that they are very similar to the SFB, but I think the side cut profile and camber/rocker make them ski very differently. I can get down with the Bent's in the soft snow, but once it firms up they go back into the garage.

Sorry, rambling on......

Oh and to really blow everyone's minds on TGR: I use the SFB most days that I'm instructing for the Big Mountain team.

I haven't pulled the trigger on an area ski to replace my Bacons. These days I only ski the area maybe a half dozen times, the rest of the time I'm touring. I put my $ towards a new touring set up- some Moment Deathwish Tour 112s w/Salomon MTN bindings. I'm super stoked on them. I tour in the San Juans. Every season I say to myself, "I'm tired of the constant high avy danger." But every time I go out touring on weekends I feel so much better and just keep doing it. I love skiing the backcountry and my glory days of lift-served skiing are now very fond memories.
    I'll probably just keep my Bacons- great skis!

Every season I say to myself, "I'm tired of the constant high avy danger." But every time I go out touring on weekends I feel so much better and just keep doing it.
    That's me unless I'm skiing with my kids or old friends. Rustler 11's are now my only skis with alpine bindings. I tried adding a second ski to my resort quiver for a few years but gave up because I would pretty much ignore the other skis and use the Rustlers. I liked some of the other skis plenty (Billy Goats and Black Crows Corvus, notably) but found them far less versatile and not worth keeping given my ski habits.

But I wouldn't recommend the 11's as the be-all and end-all for others. There is so much variety AND quality in that segment now. Even friends who ski sort of like me prefer different models.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    That's me unless I'm skiing with my kids or old friends. Rustler 11's are now my only skis with alpine bindings. I tried adding a second ski to my resort quiver for a few years but gave up because I would pretty much ignore the other skis and use the Rustlers. I liked some of the other skis plenty (Billy Goats and Black Crows Corvus, notably) but found them far less versatile and not worth keeping given my ski habits.

But I wouldn't recommend the 11's as the be-all and end-all for others. There is so much variety AND quality in that segment now. Even friends who ski sort of like me prefer different models.
    I've heard great things about the 10's and 11's.

I'm still at this stage where my skiing and preferences are shifting fast. I took a 20 year break from skiing to snowboard. I'm 4 years back to skiing and average 70 days a year. My last skis before that were straight and long.

Right now I'm skiing everything that I can get my hands on, but tend to have a fairly centered stance, so I keep going back to progressive mounted skis. I also like skiing park and switch, so I like twins. The Bacon's fit my surfy style and don't penalize me for getting into to the back seat when I get lazy. Oddly, I feel like I can drive the front of them when it's steep and soft. Totally anti what most would say about them (I'm also pretty light for 6'). My only real complaint with them is lack of stability at speed and ability to dampen chop. The quest continues. I'll probably pick up some Jeff 110's or Devastator's, but I may ride out the rest of the season on the Bacon's. I have already picked up two new sets of skis this year (Faction La Machine and 4FRNT Swith's)

Never enough skis. Never enough time to ski.

ETA: I want the same impossible ski we all want: a ski that I can hammer chop with. Both carve through and bang over moguls. Slice and dice trees. Pick through drop lines, drop and ride out through chop. Carve groomers and navigate late afternoon refreeze. Pound fresh snow (shallow and deep). Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Bringing this thread back to the top. I'm wondering what OP ended up with.

I'm the rare TGR nerd that rides the SFB, too. So much hate for that ski around here. I ride the newer (2022) 107ww, so I can't directly compare it to the older ski. I find the 2022 to be pretty darned fun if it's your style of ski and fits you (I'm 6', 160lbs wet). I don't need much more ski. It bangs through trees with aplomb, floats powder with a crazy fun surfy style, carves soft groomers and slithers through moguls. I like that I can ski every inch of the ski, from tip to tail (former snowboarder here with "untraditional" technique).

It hates chop and chunder, it has a speed limit (that if you're psycho you just push through anyway) and is borderline terrifying on ice.

I'm on the same quest as OP, though I keep wandering back to the SFB. All I'm really looking to accomplish is a slightly longer radius and a more damp performer. I think I still like the progressive mount point, so here are the skis on my list:

4FRNT Devastator. Full rocker. No metal. 108ww
    ON3P Jeffrey 110 (TGR's suggestion in my last thread). Deep rocker lines. No metal.
    Dynastar MFree 108. Lots of tip/tail taper. Deep rocker lines. No metal (that I know of..)
    J Skis Hotshot. More traditional rocker lines, metal and heft.

I've heard great things about all of them. I've watched the Jeff and Mfree in action (they look like they ski similarly). I ski a 4FRNT Switch as my park/groomer/spring ski, but the Dev has a very different profile.

I bet I could be happy on any of them. Dev's are sold out in 186. J Ski's is doing the free Pivot 14 with purchase of ski's, deal (pretty solid deal). Hmmmmm.......

I haven't even gotten the Faction La Machine's delivered that I ordered last week, yet. I should pace my ski buying, but the mid season deals are here or coming.

FWIW, I have the 120 Bent's and don't totally Jive with them. Some would say that they are very similar to the SFB, but I think the side cut profile and camber/rocker make them ski very differently. I can get down with the Bent's in the soft snow, but once it firms up they go back into the garage.

Sorry, rambling on......

Oh and to really blow everyone's minds on TGR: I use the SFB most days that I'm instructing for the Big Mountain team.
    Haven't skied the SFB, but have a lot of time on the Jeff and a few days on the mfree108. The mfree is a great ski, looser, more versatile, better on groomers than the jeff, but the jeff imo is more fun. Since you like the bacon so much (-2 mount), I think going to the mfree (-8.25 mount) is going to be a notable adjustment in ski style where the jeff (~-4.5 mount) is going to be more along the lines of the bacon. The Jeff will be what your asking for, better in chop, longer radius, more damp, while still a progressive mount, whether you actually like a damper, heavier ride is another story. My ski group consists of one or the other, either you like heavier, beefier skis (on3p skis) or you like light skis (line vision), I don't know many people who ski both at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Haven't skied the SFB, but have a lot of time on the Jeff and a few days on the mfree108. The mfree is a great ski, looser, more versatile, better on groomers than the jeff, but the jeff imo is more fun. Since you like the bacon so much (-2 mount), I think going to the mfree (-8.25 mount) is going to be a notable adjustment in ski style where the jeff (~-4.5 mount) is going to be more along the lines of the bacon. The Jeff will be what your asking for, better in chop, longer radius, more damp, while still a progressive mount, whether you actually like a damper, heavier ride is another story. My ski group consists of one or the other, either you like heavier, beefier skis (on3p skis) or you like light skis (line vision), I don't know many people who ski both at the resort.
    Thanks for the input. You could very well be right. In the end I may prefer the lighter, softer ski. I don't have the experience to know. I'd like to ski the Jeff and Devastator. Different skis in some ways, similar in others. Both share some traits with the SFB.

QST Blank yo!

Joining the thread because I also love the SFB. I love them so much I bought a second pair for my touring setup.

I do disagree with the Jeffrey suggestions. They are extremely boring skis in comparison, and their sidecut is much much less dialed. The only aspect of the Jeff I find playful is the flex to be honest. They have good flex, durability, and speed limit but edge poorly, float poorly (in comparison), are heavy, and are less nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    then get a rustler 11 and stop playing around.
    Or start playing around. It's really a great ski.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    ETA: I want the same impossible ski we all want: a ski that I can hammer chop with. Both carve through and bang over moguls. Slice and dice trees. Pick through drop lines, drop and ride out through chop. Carve groomers and navigate late afternoon refreeze. Pound fresh snow (shallow and deep). Is that too much to ask?
    Wildcat / Wildcat 108. The former is heavier and stiffer - it's better in chop but not exactly a ski I'd ride if it isn't snowing or just snowed.

I would be surprised if anyone that likes the Line SFB likes a Moment too, they're very different. The SFB is the softest ski I have ever personally been on - it's surfy for sure, but I found it to be outgunned as soon as the snow got tracked out. It's like an untracked ski design in a width that makes more sense for daily driving. Anyways, if you're in Truckee it might be worth demoing a WC108.

Best 110-112 mm underfoot skis out there?

Ima confused. Is this another playful charger thread? But the op really likes a very soft playful ski?

I really enjoy my old bibby’s on tele. Curious for similar between 100-110. Go!
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 01-26-2023 at 09:57 AM.

I'm 6' and 200lbs, so I wouldn't call the R11 very stiff or chargy in the traditional sense of the word. Not with that much tail rocker. It's a little scary on ice. Part of that was me redoing the edges 1 and 1 not 2 and 1 after a nice stripey stone grind. Maybe I even over beveled it a little, but I don't regret it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    There are really an outrageous number of skis that fit this description

ON3P Jeffrey, Woodsman, or Mango 110
    Moment Deathwish
    Blizzard Rustler 11
    Atomic Bent 110
    K2 Reckoner 112

Maybe give us more info? Or demo? Offhand, I'd suggest the Jeffrey 110 or Bent 110.
    Bringing this back to life again. I have a pair of 2014 179cm Shreditor 112s that I love, and I am looking to replace them (I want to give them to my son, he fell in love with them also, over his Mindbender 116c). I am looking at the Reckoner 112 or the Rustler R11. I hear so much good about the R11s, but I am worried they might not be as easy to turn in the pow, especially the trees. I picked up the Shreditors used last year, in very good shape. They have become my favorite (pow) ski by far.

The 2023 R11s also get a bonus for being on a great sale currently, but I want something that isn't going to have me wishing I still had the Shreditors.

I have skied his Mindbenders, and they don't do what the Shreditor does for me. Everything is just effortless, they go where I want them to without thinking about it, or even have to put much effort in. If I could clone them, I would ski them forever.

PS did the OP ever make a decision?
    Last edited by Brad1138; 03-07-2024 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beeshbeesh View Post
    QST Blank yo!
    Such a good ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1138 View Post
    Bringing this back to life again. I have a pair of 2014 179cm Shreditor 112s that I love, and I am looking to replace them (I want to give them to my son, he fell in love with them also (over his Mindbender 116c). I am looking at the Reckoner 112 or the Rustler R11. I hear so much good about the R11s, but I am worried they might not be as easy to turn in the pow, especially the trees. I picked up the Shreditors used last year, in very good shape. They have become my favorite (pow) ski by far.

The 2023 R11s also get a bonus for being on a great sale currently, but I want something that isn't going to have me wishing I still had the Shreditors.

I have skied his Mindbenders, and they don't have what the Shreditor does. Everything is just effortless, they go where I want them to without thinking about it, or even have to put much effort in. If I could clone them, I would ski them forever.

PS did the OP ever make a decision?
    rustlers pivot great, and the 188 skis very short.

Have you read the Heritage Lab FR110 thread?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There are a ton of killer skis around that range, not so many in it. Revolt 114 comes to mind. The rustler 11 you can’t go wrong with or the HL 110. But staying in a 2mm waist range is ridiculous. Anima is worth a look.

I know you said powder skis, but apparently we don’t have the same definition. I love my 122mm for powder, but as soon as it’s tracked I’m reaching for something like my Bodacious or a Corvus depending on location and snow type.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    rustlers pivot great, and the 188 skis very short.
    Thanks. I am looking at the 180s, I am 5'10" and 165lb.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    There are a ton of killer skis around that range, not so many in it. Revolt 114 comes to mind. The rustler 11 you can’t go wrong with or the HL 110. But staying in a 2mm waist range is ridiculous. Anima is worth a look.

I know you said powder skis, but apparently we don’t have the same definition. I love my 122mm for powder, but as soon as it’s tracked I’m reaching for something like my Bodacious or a Corvus depending on location and snow type.
    My powder skis for over a decade have been the Line Opus (118 under foot), but I like these so much more, the fact they don't float quite as well, doesn't bother me.