Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

JAPAN: HOCKEY NIGHT IN ASAHIKAWA

Time to switch it up - can't go to the onsen every day, right?

Decided to go to Asahikawa to see a hockey game, East Hokkaido Cranes -v- Nikko Ice Bucks. Both teams play in Asia League Ice Hockey (website) (Wiki).

Four goals scored in first 7 minutes of the contest. 3 penalties in the entire game. Talent level is akin to NCAA Division 2. Lots of passing, no end-to-end breakaways, pretty clean hockey.

No heat in the barn, dress for an icebox.

East Hokkaido Cranes team bus:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALIH 001.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	715.2 KB 
ID:	444903

The barn, from behind the net (pre-game):

Name:	ALIH 002.jpg 
Size:	635.8 KB 
ID:	444904

View from the red line (pre-game):

Name:	ALIH 003.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	545.9 KB 
ID:	444905

Opening ceremonies:

Name:	ALIH 004.jpg 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	444906

Officialdom:

Name:	ALIH 005.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	561.8 KB 
ID:	444907

Puck drop:

SHIBETSU

Tayoroshi Hinata Ski Area 士別市日向スキー場

AVY SAW AT WORK

What happened between Feb 1 and Mar 20?

Awesome TR. hope all is well

Name:	IMG_20230221_160401.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	953.1 KB 
ID:	454234

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    What happened between Feb 1 and Mar 20?

Awesome TR. hope all is well
    I once again became cyclically disinterested in my online life, and stopped posting. Anywhere.

Increasingly since 2010 I have been fluctuating between half-hearted interest and total self-loathing for "my brand" as it were. (How I hate that term, and how we have increasingly become so self-aware, self-centered, etc.)

I do enjoy sharing photos and adventures but there is always internal conflict. I know someone, somewhere is having a shitty day, and travel boasting isn't helping them with that. I much prefer sharing useful information and leaving myself out of it.

Anyway, the short of it is I got hired to do some under-table work in snow tours and I dove into that as a way to connect to something productive and meet new people. I had a great time (I mean a GREAT time) interacting with guests and enhancing their vacation commitment. I looked at a lot of homes for sale and further considered my future plan to settle in Japan. And then, suddenly, it was spring weather all over Hokkaido. Winter slammed shut. Spring touring was fantastic, though powder season was done. I had a flight to South Korea to flip my visa but blew it off and returned to the USA.

Hey some travel boasting can give part time desk jockeys a quick lift! In your opinion, is the intense, shorter powder season better for a powdervore than a more stretched out season of norther north america locales? I've loved visiting Japan in winter, but living there just to get access to powder skiing seemed so specific when the season is maybe 3 months or so. I bet Hokkaido is beautiful in other seasons as well - VT with volcanoes and all.

Trip reports lift our spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    I once again became cyclically disinterested in my online life, and stopped posting. Anywhere.

Increasingly since 2010 I have been fluctuating between half-hearted interest and total self-loathing for "my brand" as it were. (How I hate that term, and how we have increasingly become so self-aware, self-centered, etc.)

I do enjoy sharing photos and adventures but there is always internal conflict. I know someone, somewhere is having a shitty day, and travel boasting isn't helping them with that. I much prefer sharing useful information and leaving myself out of it.

Anyway, the short of it is I got hired to do some under-table work in snow tours and I dove into that as a way to connect to something productive and meet new people. I had a great time (I mean a GREAT time) interacting with guests and enhancing their vacation commitment. I looked at a lot of homes for sale and further considered my future plan to settle in Japan. And then, suddenly, it was spring weather all over Hokkaido. Winter slammed shut. Spring touring was fantastic, though powder season was done. I had a flight to South Korea to flip my visa but blew it off and returned to the USA.
    Hope all is well

The lift of seeing stoke is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Hey some travel boasting can give part time desk jockeys a quick lift! In your opinion, is the intense, shorter powder season better for a powdervore than a more stretched out season of norther north america locales? I've loved visiting Japan in winter, but living there just to get access to powder skiing seemed so specific when the season is maybe 3 months or so. I bet Hokkaido is beautiful in other seasons as well - VT with volcanoes and all.
    In a normal winter, you can be skiing mid-thigh powder and deeper on Hokkaido from the start of December to the end of March

In a great year, mid-Nov to the end of March with the occasional April and May dump

Touring goes on well into May

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Hope all is well

The lift of seeing stoke is a gift
    All good. Thank you for asking, MP.
    I should be back in Hokkaido by 15 December, and it can't come soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    All good. Thank you for asking, MP.
    I should be back in Hokkaido by 15 December, and it can't come soon enough
    Good to hear

Have a great Summer

One of the best two-week stretches of W23 for consistent snow conditions and ambient temperatures was the second half of February after which the door slammed shut on powder season. Touring conditions however were excellent and would remain so for some time.

This run of weather coincided with the last two tours for our season each of which featured a headliner guest. These two individuals with back-to-back host weeks in Central Hokkaido W23 shared back-to-back video parts in a video that I still watch, the 1996 classic "Dynasty - The New Legacy"

During my first season living at a ski resort, toiling as a lifty, Dynasty was looping on the bar VCR and providing inspiration so I was stoked to ride with these very same two pros for a 14-day run of find-the-best snow.

From Dynasty, the feature part of https://youtu.be/3TrmbwHgPYc?t=1450

From Dynasty, the feature part of https://youtu.be/3TrmbwHgPYc?t=1661