Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Had a study of the rocket stove

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230104_011733.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	441027

https://instagram.com/yukiumi_house is in central Kamikawa town. They ride some fun terrain around here

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_013103.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	441028
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 01-03-2023 at 05:57 PM.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing. Will enjoy following this winter.

DAY 1: KAMIKAWA

After 5 road sleeps I finally wake up at my home for the next 10 weeks.

Overnight snow, 1-2"

Name:	IMG_20230104_075520.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	441101

Current conditions

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081503.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	441097

Tomorrow's forecast for Furano

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081539.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	441098

Big objectives today. Six minute walk north to Nakayama to hike above the short ropetow, practice transitioning, do a gear check and a snow profile for south aspect. So many towns in Vermont used to have a municipal ski hill on this scale for physical education and recreation.

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081927.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	482.8 KB 
ID:	441099

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    After 5 road sleeps I finally wake up at my home for the next 10 weeks.

Overnight snow, 1-2"

Name:	IMG_20230104_075520.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	441101

Current conditions

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081503.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	441097

Tomorrow's forecast for Furano

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081539.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	441098

Big objectives today. Six minute walk north to Nakayama to hike above the short ropetow, practice transitioning, do a gear check and a snow profile for south aspect. So many towns in Vermont used to have a municipal ski hill on this scale for physical education and recreation.

Name:	Screenshot_20230104_081927.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	482.8 KB 
ID:	441099
    Driving around central Hokkaido, I was reminded of Vermont so many times. If I squinted, I might have thought I was there - except for the volcanos rising in the distance and the frequently much deeper low elevation snowpack.

Just like Vermont

Name:	P1140758.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	719.3 KB 
ID:	441150

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Driving around central Hokkaido, I was reminded of Vermont so many times. If I squinted, I might have thought I was there - except for the volcanos rising in the distance and the frequently much deeper low elevation snowpack.
    Absolutely.
    Especially focusing on the foreground on the drive from Asahikawa through Biei to Furano. Dairy farms, rolling fields, winding roads.

DAY 2: KAMIKAWA

Quick snow profile in the driveway. 1-2" overnight. Extremely dry:

Name:	SNOW PROFILE 1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	545.3 KB 
ID:	441288

First things first:

Name:	SEASON PASS.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	441289

Pippu:

Name:	PIPPU.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	441290
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 01-07-2023 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Added URL for Pippu Ski Resort

I love this thread so much. I haven't been active much on TGR forums in like 10 years, but this is why it's phenomenal. I remember sitting in the back office of the coffee shop I worked at in college 20+ year ago, using the magenta iMac that got internet, and reading TRs from Japan and zeroing in on it as the pinnacle of powder skiing (I still think Japan, mid-Jan thru mid-Feb) is the closest thing there is to a sure thing in booking a powder trip. I still say this despite getting more or less skunked last trip (Feb 2020). If you're gonna get skunked on a ski trip, there's no better place to be than Japan.

I digress. Great to see the stoke still flying freely. I think I'll check in a bit more. And shoutout to Powder for being the OG host of the maggots. I was an intern in the building when the great upheaval and migration happened. I know the guy who was an admin that caused the revolt. He was a dick. I'm willing to bet that single move by one dickhead was the make or break moment for Powder as a content producer still existing and giving TGR the website visits they needed to become the media powerhouse they are today.

boltonoutlaw—get it, my guy. Also, Tough Gummies are the pinnacle of konbini candy, IMO. Family Mart has them. 7-11 does not.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Absolutely.
    Especially focusing on the foreground on the drive from Asahikawa through Biei to Furano. Dairy farms, rolling fields, winding roads.
    That exact location is what I was thinking of! Such a beautiful area especially with the milky white winter light through the frequent flurries.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    I love this thread so much. I haven't been active much on TGR forums in like 10 years, but this is why it's phenomenal. I remember sitting in the back office of the coffee shop I worked at in college 20+ year ago, using the magenta iMac that got internet, and reading TRs from Japan and zeroing in on it as the pinnacle of powder skiing (I still think Japan, mid-Jan thru mid-Feb) is the closest thing there is to a sure thing in booking a powder trip. I still say this despite getting more or less skunked last trip (Feb 2020). If you're gonna get skunked on a ski trip, there's no better place to be than Japan.

I digress. Great to see the stoke still flying freely. I think I'll check in a bit more. And shoutout to Powder for being the OG host of the maggots. I was an intern in the building when the great upheaval and migration happened. I know the guy who was an admin that caused the revolt. He was a dick. I'm willing to bet that single move by one dickhead was the make or break moment for Powder as a content producer still existing and giving TGR the website visits they needed to become the media powerhouse they are today.

boltonoutlaw—get it, my guy. Also, Tough Gummies are the pinnacle of konbini candy, IMO. Family Mart has them. 7-11 does not.
    Who was posting the Japan TRs 20+ years ago? I remember reading TRs from paedde in 2008. Those must have been the good old days when even the hot spots were uncrowded inbounds. I went in 2014 which was hardly early, but still feel lucky to have done it then.

DAY 10: SOUNKYO ONSEN

On my second day snowboarding this winter I got a little too loose and took a trip to destination fucked. Did some harm to the MCL and spent the next day riding the couch. Not sure how long that will be an issue.

I had been needing to hit the local onsen anyway, now there was a therapeutic reason to go as well as cleaning the bag of bones.

Two public bath onsens are in the vicinity but each is roughly 20km from the house, one east and one west. The onsen to the west is very close to Pippu Ski Resort so that will be my regular stop. I stank so opted to go east, in order not to make a poor first impression at my local.

That meant going to Kurodake no Yu, and that would bring me to the village of Sounkyo Onsen where you find the Kurodake Ropeway and all of which lie within the Daisetsuzan National Park. More about Sounkyo

[EDIT] I later discovered a sento three blocks from my house. Walking distance. Super stoked! Learn more about the difference between onsen and sento at Japanistry, a short excerpt of which is below:

While the onsen exist for the pleasure of relaxation and the health benefits of bathing in nutrient-rich water, the sento are local establishments which serve the far more practical need of daily hygiene. Indeed, the two kanji which make up the word sento (銭湯) mean “coin” and “hot water”. In other words, you are simply buying hot water heated from the water supply just like you would if you ran a bath at home
    Sing along to DF:

Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 01-09-2023 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Added sento info

DAY 10: KURODAKE NO YU

Onsen always identified by this signage:

Name:	ONSEN SIGNAGE.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	779.2 KB 
ID:	441602

Kurodake no Yu:

Name:	KURODAKE NO YU ONSEN.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	441603

Manners:

Name:	ONSEN MANNERS.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	441604

Efficacy (please leave your hemorrhoids at home):

Name:	ONSEN EFFICACY.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	725.0 KB 
ID:	441605

Inspirational death lines behind the Hotel Soun:

Name:	HOTEL SOUN.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	441606

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Love Sounkyo and Kurodake

Although I did snap a ski at Kurodake and had to ski the gondola line on one ski

Beyond fucked when I got down

DAY 11

Thank you fellas. I will try to make it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    anzen unten shi te kudasai
    Arigato!

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    I will live vicariously through this running TR as long as you keep on posting it!
    Heyyy brother, mcr would huck it

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Subscribed
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Nice Bolton. I’ve yet to ski in Japan but it is on the list. My Japan experiences are limited to Tokyo, Kyoto and some random Port towns. Easily one of my favorite countries in the world!
    Japan is apex living

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Family Mart egg sandwiches FTMFW!
    7-11 pizza buns have been my recent go-to, and salmon onigiri

I love this thread so much. I haven't been active much on TGR forums in like 10 years, but this is why it's phenomenal. I remember sitting in the back office of the coffee shop I worked at in college 20+ year ago, using the magenta iMac that got internet, and reading TRs from Japan and zeroing in on it as the pinnacle of powder skiing (I still think Japan, mid-Jan thru mid-Feb) is the closest thing there is to a sure thing in booking a powder trip. I still say this despite getting more or less skunked last trip (Feb 2020). If you're gonna get skunked on a ski trip, there's no better place to be than Japan...

Will look for Tough Gummies. Glad to see you back here

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    That exact location is what I was thinking of! Such a beautiful area especially with the milky white winter light through the frequent flurries.
    Synchronicity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Love Sounkyo and Kurodake
    Although I did snap a ski at Kurodake and had to ski the gondola line on one ski
    Beyond fucked when I got down
    That ropeline is full of holes/pockets; sounds like a dreamy day

DAY 16

Kamikawa constantly reminds me of Crested Butte around 1990. Add a train station and a highway exit. Estimated population 4000.

Like many towns in Japan Kamikawa is graying rapidly. The town's population is half of what it was 20 years ago but 5 new businesses have opened doors in the past 2 years.

Looking east towards Daisetsuzan National Park

Name:	KAMIKAWA EAST.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	442415

Looking south from the north edge of town, near Nakayama rope tow

Name:	KAMIKAWA SOUTH.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	495.7 KB 
ID:	442418

Yukiumi House

Name:	YUKIUMI HOUSE.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	899.1 KB 
ID:	442419

Renovated antique warehouse

Name:	KAMIKAWA KITCHEN.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	549.8 KB 
ID:	442420

KAMIKAWA

The owner of 36noshiki whose credo is "four seasons at the foot of the mountain"

Name:	36noshiki.base.shop 000.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	442444

Skatenuts

Name:	36noshiki.base.shop 003.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	423.9 KB 
ID:	442448

Izakaya seating

Name:	36noshiki.base.shop 001.jpg 
Size:	576.6 KB 
ID:	442445

Bartles

Name:	36noshiki.base.shop 002.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	442446

Happy Spoony

Name:	36noshiki.base.shop 005.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	714.4 KB 
ID:	442447

Following. This really makes me want to get back to Japan. Just realized it's now been four years exactly this week since I was last there. Covid timelines are a blur, man.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

7-11 has stepped up its game:

Name:	TOUGH GUMMIES.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	442482

THROWBACK TO ASAHIDAKE 2022.04.02

Still on injured reserve but feeling confident about a comeback ASAP.

Meanwhile, as tribute to Ullr and to celebrate the return of colder temps I'm looking at clips from last April:

THROWBACK TO SAPPORO KOKUSAI 2022.03.23

Unpublished footy from W22

Sapporo Kokusai. My funnest in-bounds/sidecountry terrain combo (Hokkaido) terrain of W22.

7-11 has stepped up its game:

Name:	TOUGH GUMMIES.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	442482
    FKNA!
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Sapporo Kokusai. My funnest in-bounds/sidecountry terrain combo (Hokkaido) terrain of W22.
    I loved the Kokusai gondola bump to get to the sidecountry skinner a few days ago.

Also seems that Jerry, Joni Mitchell, and Ringo were there at some point if the mascots are to be believed!

Name:	526A1376-4E7D-44A2-9CFB-33740E2A2C1B.jpeg 
Size:	388.4 KB 
ID:	444053

Name:  51B16BA4-4154-4A4B-B906-2DF5581DAF1F.jpeg
Views: 560
Size:  167.7 KB

Way to get after it!

DAY 30: PIPPU

Finally getting regular. MCL damage is healed enough to ride daily and Hokkaido snow machine is back on in full effect. Pippu is a small hill but there is fun to be had in the trees and side country