Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

2023 UCI Downhill/Enduro/XC mega thread

Figure we get this going in one place. What I really want to know: WHERE IS MOI MOI HEADED? Pivot dream team with Eddie and Wax? Yeti cutting a fat deal to absolutely dominate the sport for good?

I'm just here for the XC! But this is helpful:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTB Calendar-2023.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	439286

https://www.brujulabike.com/calendario-mtb-2023/

Leogang and Les Gets is where it's at!!! (although, I'm sure we can all live without EDR-E!)

I think everyone's disappointed to see how good/bad an XC Course would be in the Netherlands...I'm guessing it will be a lot like Delaware.

I also think it's odd that there's no EWS in Whistler. Seems like it should be in Whistler...every year. Or is Whistler more DH and EWS should stay in WV? I dunno...
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Zero Enduro in the Americas... I don't understand how that sport makes people money at this point. It's not very good to watch even though it is the most relatable for me.

Side note, they need to figure out how to make all the top pros come to Snowshoe and Mount Sainte Anne. The XC rosters are dismal and make for a discounted product IMO.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

According to the Vital team rumors thread, Moi Moi to YT. Check there and also making of the numbers podcast for the latest in team rumors. But all will be revealed in a couple weeks anyway!

Also, good Downtime podcast with Neko and Chris Kilmurray just out about the new UCI DH rules released so far. Sounds like the riders hate the points set up with the new proposed semi-finals and generally don't like the prospects of putting down high-risk race-pace runs twice on the semi/finals day. Hopefully some of this can be corrected before the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Zero Enduro in the Americas... I don't understand how that sport makes people money at this point. It's not very good to watch even though it is the most relatable for me.
    I'm with you, I'd love to talk with a brand's marketing manager to understand the finances behind supporting an enduro team given the total lack of coverage. Especially compared to XC and DH. My guess is that it's an easy way to fill up your content calendar with the potential for a legit return if your athletes do really well or make a splash, and then you can also co-budget the expense with R&D / PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Seems like in Europe, there are lots of places where the local governments are willing to pay very real money to draw more tourism to their area. Hosting races is a good way to do that. Pretty much any given riding location in Europe is within 8-10 hours of London, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, etc. There are *lots* of mountain bikers with money floating around Europe, and I'm sure it's legitimately competitive to get them to go spend money in, say, Finale Ligure rather than some other town.

That competitive dynamic for riding locations just doesn't really exist in North America. So none of the North American bike meccas want to throw a substantial amount of money at the EWS to get a race there, especially since I'd imagine it's hard with that race format to recoup much of the cost via event ticket sales.

Wow if Jack goes to YT that would be crazy. I can't imagine the Capra being a better bike than the Canyon, but if it's about getting paid you cannot blame any bike racer for going after a check.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Also, good Downtime podcast with Neko and Chris Kilmurray just out about the new UCI DH rules released so far. Sounds like the riders hate the points set up with the new proposed semi-finals and generally don't like the prospects of putting down high-risk race-pace runs twice on the semi/finals day. Hopefully some of this can be corrected before the season starts.
    I think the points system will be looked at before the season starts. It’s hard to imagine 10th place in the semifinals can be worth more points towards the overall than 10th place in the finals (even though the semis will have more racers competing in it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Wow if Jack goes to YT that would be crazy. I can't imagine the Capra being a better bike than the Canyon, but if it's about getting paid you cannot blame any bike racer for going after a check.
    It’s the artist, not the paintbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence

It’s the artist, not the paintbrush.
    You're not wrong, but I have been convinced that the Canyon shapeshifter has somehow proven to be a legit advantage.

I know its often said that one of the great things about mountain bikes is that you can buy what the pros ride, but with factory suspension support (custom dampers, tuning, frequent maintenance), I think its safe to say the many of the pro's bikes ride at least a bit nicer than even the top-spec consumer bikes. And don't forget custom links, dropouts, headset reach/angle adjusts... if the Capra isn't 100% to his liking they will spend time tweaking it to suit.

If he goes fast enough, maybe they'll even give him a custom capra that doesn't crack.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If he goes fast enough, maybe they'll even give him a custom capra that doesn't crack.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Not sure how I feel over the no early races this year for DH. I never liked the lag after the first race, etc.. but I'm not going to go out and kill myself on a DH run until June now, I've usually just recovered from my first I thought I was Danny Hart crash of the season around then
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It feels like there's an opening for redbull to partner with crankworks and turn that series into something legit.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It feels like there's an opening for redbull to partner with crankworks and turn that series into something legit.
    That'd be quite the power grab/move.
    Crankworks DHs are pretty meh usually, but I would imagine being able to cut a new track for real deal racing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That'd be quite the power grab/move.
    Crankworks DHs are pretty meh usually, but I would imagine being able to cut a new track for real deal racing.
    Yeah, agreed the current crankworks races aren't great. But I think that's because 1) camera coverage is terrible, and 2) they don't really get top talent at the races. I would think if redbull threw their weight into it, they could fix #1, which would help fix #2.

This is all assuming discovery screws up the dhi coverage enough to make spending money on the crankworks series a compelling option.

The new rules make me sad. I'll eat crow if it ends up working out, but I think adding an extra race every weekend will suck for a lot of riders on both ends of the spectrum. No room for exciting French Fuck-It-All performances when 40% of the points are in the semi-final.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Cant wait to see what this kid does. Next level on its way

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmRup...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post

I guess DH is set for the next decade:

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post

That was sick

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

$50 subscription to GCN+ to watch any UCI World Cup races in 2023. What's the over/under on people spending money for something that's always been free?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I also think it's odd that there's no EWS in Whistler. Seems like it should be in Whistler...every year. Or is Whistler more DH and EWS should stay in WV? I dunno...
    Vail Resorts don't want any events on Whistler Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    $50 subscription to GCN+ to watch any UCI World Cup races in 2023. What's the over/under on people spending money for something that's always been free?
    HOLY….I mean, I’d fork over $9.99 or some nominal fee…but: fiddy is steep price.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

They're still saying they will announce "more ways to watch" in the coming months, so maybe there will be an ad-supported version or they'll at least be smart/nice enough to do a 30-45 minute highlights on youtube. Fwiw, looking at the race calendar you could probably also get two separate months of GCN+ for $9/each and catch most of the races. Don't get me wrong, free redbull coverage with Rob would be better but you've gotta work with what you're given sometimes.

A Trailforks subscription gets you full access to Discovery+ and GCN is a Discovery subsidiary, so maybe TF subscribers will be able to watch without paying an upcharge?