Salomon S/Lab MTN Summit boots?

Anyone had a chance to ski these yet?

I bailed on ultralight boots after a few seasons in some 1st gen Dynafit TLT5 Carbons (10+ years ago now) - loving the uphill but hating the downhill on them. My current BC boot is the original Hawx XTD 130s, but they're getting toward the end of their lifespan, leaving me intrigued if these boots in the 1100-1300 range are the sweet spot I might be looking for. The Hawx skis great for me, but I miss the ROM on a lighter boot. Most of my touring is in the Cascades and BC (day trips and hut trips), paired with Atomic Backland 107s/MTN pin bindings for midwinter and K2 Wayback88/Dynafits for spring.

I'm not really interested in the absolute lightest end of the spectrum, but have been intrigued by the MTN Summits and similar boots for longer days of touring. I'm a bigger guy at 195lbs and ski fairly hard, though usually more powdery pillows than big cliffs. ZGTPs and Scarpa's offerings never really fit me well (quite wide forefoot), and from the descriptions I'm not sure about the Fischer Travers (though they seem to occupy a similar sweet spot). Anyone with on-snow experience or insight from trying these on?

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    ZGTPs and Scarpa's offerings never really fit me well (quite wide forefoot), and from the descriptions I'm not sure about the Fischer Travers (though they seem to occupy a similar sweet spot). Anyone with on-snow experience or insight from trying these on?
    I have a super wide forefoot (117mm to 121mm depending on which scanning device is used) and have made several pairs of Zero G and Maestrale boots fit me fine; you don't have to wear the boot the way it comes out of the box. That said, the Salomon MTN Summit seems roomier than either of those two out of the box - don't own one and haven't skied it though.

It's not just width that counts - instep height and "volume" are equally important and typically harder to adjust than simple forefoot width in a shell, especially a lighter touring boot with no bootboard. Making a lightweight Grilamid or Pebax Rnew shell wider should be a simple task for an experienced bootfitter.

PS You realize that part of what makes a boot ski well is simply weight, right? That ultra-light TLT5P from years back is only a few grams lighter than the MTN Summit . . .

I bought a pair and tried to make them work but couldn't so got rid of them. The are quite wide in the forefoot and very roomy in the ankle and heel. Pretty stiff for the weight, heavier than advertised. Impressive touring ROM. But they have the dumbest boot board design I've ever seen. They have two wide ramps connecting the boot board (which is not removable) to the toe portion of the shell which felt like a very uncomfortable lump under my big toe and jammed it upwards. I was in a very tight shell fit, might be less of an issue if you have more room

Edited for stupid auto correct...

I’m a fan of the tight she’ll fit myself…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    They have two wide ramps connecting the boot board (which is not removable) to the toe portion of the shell which felt like a very uncomfortable lump under my big toe and jammed it upwards. I was in a very tight she'll fit, might be less of an issue if you have more room
    The Zero G Peak Carbon also has two bumps holding the bootboard in place at the toe; I removed the front of the bootboard completely and ground them off with a Foredom but I suspect they could add critical strength to the area stabilizing the tech fittings (i.e. I wouldn't do this with a customer's boot).

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’m a fan of the tight she’ll fit myself…

I see what you did there... I approve.

I haven't skied these but have gone through most of the 1kg+ boots in the last year looking for my glass slipper.

Summit definitely has a wide ish forefoot (which I was a fan of). It's also not terrible to punch like something with a carbon lower. I personally didn't notice poor heel hold or a super roomy ankle, but again I was just walking around the shop.

Previously I had tried out the Travers and really they got a lot right on that boot. Great walk mode, simple ski/walk latch, stiff enough, and the cuff lever actually has enough travel that you can don't have to readjust the velcro. It had a massive ankle/heel and I would just about pop out of it leaning forward. Summit has worse walk mode than Travers, but is much stiffer (and heavier).

I'd also look at the zero g peak if you are looking for a wide, light touring boot. Just realize they run almost a full size small for length. Flex side by side with the summit seemed identical (again, in a shop not on snow).

While these new light boots are way stiffer than 1kg boots of yore I'm not sure if they are really sufficient for skiing hard or dropping pillows. Maybe look at the La spo vanguard? I hear that is fairly burly and also wide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Got a pair for Christmas, skied twice so far. Definitely wider forefoot, but not too wide. 6th toe is usually an issue for me, not in these. Walk and tour well. Thought there was some ankle slop, but realized I forgot to tighten up boa. A couple of turns and all better.

I like the F1 style booster strap, a little weird to have 2 straps and a boa but it seems to work so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Got a pair for Christmas, skied twice so far. Definitely wider forefoot, but not too wide. 6th toe is usually an issue for me, not in these. Walk and tour well. Thought there was some ankle slop, but realized I forgot to tighten up boa. A couple of turns and all better.

I like the F1 style booster strap, a little weird to have 2 straps and a boa but it seems to work so far.

Thanks! What are you skiing them with (and where)?

Skied the mtn 96, resort stuff so far. Going to head into bc with a 110 waisted ski today. Will let you know how it goes.

The more I ski then the more I like them. No issues with a wider ski and feel pretty solid (for a light boot) on groomers. Fit is great for my foot.

They can be a PIA to get on. Walk mode actually is easier than locked out and a lot of foot wiggling. Hope that helps.

Now that these have been out for a season, how are people feeling about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Now that these have been out for a season, how are people feeling about them?
    No experience personally but Cristoph from extra mediocre/mediocre amateur called them his favorite 1200 gram boot and i give his opinion some credit. I haven’t heard of any significant issues with them either

vs zgtp

Been touring and skiing these for around 15 days, mostly with 184 mtn95 and a few days with 190 Ravens and I'm still not sure what think of them. They're mostly fine with the mtn's but have felt a bit undergunned with the Ravens. Admittedly I've only skied quite horrible snow in these with the Ravens.

Main boot is the zgtp in 27,5 and got these in the same size. The fit is roomier in the forefoot and about the same on the instep, heel feels quite the same as zgtp with intuition pro tours. As mentioned, feels like they're easiest to put on in walk mode. I ditched the original liners and put in the original (unskied) zgtp liners, which are slightly sturdier, but not much. I do have to crank to boa quite tight to get a good heel hold.

Flex feels different: stiffish at the top of the range, but then softens and almost bottoms out in bigger compressions quite easily. I'm in the 184cm/90kg weight class. Might get better if I train my ankle strength, but so far the better walkability is not that much better than the zgtp that I want to sacrifice skiing at all. Maybe for tragic/comical summer and early season epics with the small skis.

Not what I wanted to hear but what I probably needed too. Outside of the Hawx Ultra XYD, they're probably the best heel lock for me right now, but if they have issues with the 190 Raven, they'll definitely be undergunned driving my BGT110.

Still tempting for a spring mission boot though...

A bit of an update after some foot and ankle strength work: four days of June touring in some pow, hot pow and first class corn and they were just fine. I think I'll start the touring season with them to see how they do in variable.