Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Big ups to Mr. Hankey for all the beta! Sincere thank you to you sir.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Thanks for all the beta Mr. Hankey, I will be out in the area May 4 - 7. Exact location undecided as of yet.

Good stuff Mr. H!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thank you for the pics, time and info Mr. Hankey! Looking forward to getting south :-)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Right on Mr. Hankey! I'm going to be around the eastside around May 4-9. Was planning on heading in southfork, palisades area (but keeping an eye on conditions everywhere) in case you are in the neighborhood to get the old guy band back together.

Thanks folks.
    Chill, we should get the old guy band back together anyway If you still have my cell just text me before you go. I don't have firm plans but the hope is to split my time between the east side and Shasta in April/May.
    Jack, i didn't know you guys were back from Yurp yet. i'll ping you guys
    CS and others, feel free to DM me with your plans if you're here and looking for partners.

Any beta if Pine Creek Road is plowed?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Any beta if Pine Creek Road is plowed?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yes

Eastern Sierra BC 2022-23

Spent the weekend chasing a couple of athletes around the east side. There is nothing better than the eastern Sierra covered in tons of snow. There are just lines everywhere…but I guess this has been covered here many times. We parked at the bathroom on buttermilk road to access Tom and Basin. Others were making it farther but from that point it was only a mile or so until skinning. We also parked at the Whitney portal road closure. From there it takes a little while to get to snow. Good coverage from about the elevation of mason camp. You can ski lower but have to choose your (north facing) line carefully.

South aspects at elevation were perfect at noon, north aspects (and even the NE couloir of LPP which is more like SE facing) were refrozen by 4-5p. Shocking, I know.

Couple of panos for all your beta pleasure:

Top of Lone Pine Peak
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4568.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	724.0 KB 
ID:	456162

Top of Mt Tom

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	564.6 KB 
ID:	456164

Last edited by enginerd; 04-17-2023 at 05:47 PM.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

nice
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

South Split skied real nice apart from the top 750 feet saturday. With a handful of advanced maneuvers a Subaru forester was able to make it to the end of the 11S101 without bottoming out which made for an easy cross country walk to the red mountain creek drainage.
    North chute on Cardinal was kind of f'ed down low by bergschrunds and some funkyness the choke. Saw one vehicle that had successfully made it to the Red Lake TH.

Name:	IMG_3192 copy.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	456209
    Similarly the upper choke on Mendenhall got hit by some loose wet and might not last as long as people would expect given all the snow this year.

Name:	IMG_3132 copy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	456211

Split for those that are interested.

Name:	IMG_0386 copy.jpg 
Views:	207 
ID:	456212
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3132 copy.jpg 
Views:	105 
ID:	456210  

Seems like things are tending towards corn cycle/ starting to shape up? Probably heading this way sometime in the next two weeks, appreciate all the beta

Corn was plentiful and easy to find on more solar aspects. Lots of loose wet debris piles in narrower places you would except, but it we are in for a long and bountiful corn harvest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post

Split for those that are interested.

Name:	IMG_0386 copy.jpg 
Views:	207 
ID:	456212
    See any tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    See any tracks?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Yes
    Must have just missed us then. We were probably the car you saw at the RL TH too. It was a hell of a drive getting there but luckily had the ole lady's Bronco. That truck is insane at wheeling.

Split done!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thanks for all the continued beta everyone. Since we got an unwelcome helping of dust here in CO, I think I'll be headed that way soon.

Split … 🤤

"Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Never seen the super bloom but death valley was pretty nice on way over today.going to see if I can get up towards Langley .

Skied bloody yesterday on our first day here. Firm variable chalk, not bad, but certainly not great or surprising.

Anyone have any good shorter day recs to do in between the bigger days? Happy to ski with anyone around this week

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

I’m around in mammoth. Been touring the last 4 days and I have an open schedule. Skied Wahoo Gulley, Buck, Basin, and Tom recently.

I’m around in mammoth. Been touring the last 4 days and I have an open schedule. Skied Wahoo Gulley, Buck, Basin, and Tom recently.

GoldenBoy - Mini Morrison out of Convict is a quick and dang fun shorter day

Name:  Mini.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  23.1 KB

Went to Parachute on Saturday, snow was decent, got up in the chute but not to the top, gets pretty skinny, maybe 190cm wide :-). Betting it's a usually a LOT steeper
    Name:  AM.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  19.1 KB
    Name:  Para.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  21.6 KB
    Name:  Canyon.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  22.7 KB
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.