Thread: BD skin repair

BD skin repair

My wife stored her skins in a bit too warm of a space over the summer and when we pulled them apart the glue stuck together in a few areas and pulled off the skins in a gooey mess. I bought some BD glue to patch the few spots but anyone have any experience in repairing spots as opposed to regluing the entire skin? Tips? Vibes?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1671124935.664030.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	438344

From the looks of that, I would reglue the entire skin. Those are some big patches of glue coming off, and the rest of the glue looks pretty gooey.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

When skins were skinny back in the day I think it was common to just add glue usually to the tips and tails and not even bother heating it even tho its called " hot glue " for a reason

but yeah those are big patches where it doesnt really look like the glue ever bonded to the skin to begin with

OP might wana read up a bunch of threads on the hot glue process strip n redo the whole fucking skin, being setup before you start is pretty key IME
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-15-2022 at 02:00 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    My wife stored her skins in a bit too warm of a space over the summer and when we pulled them apart the glue stuck together in a few areas and pulled off the skins in a gooey mess. I bought some BD glue to patch the few spots but anyone have any experience in repairing spots as opposed to regluing the entire skin? Tips? Vibes?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1671124935.664030.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	438344

Dunno if you're in the Salt Lake area or not, but I can tell you from probably 2 dozen pairs of skins I have seen with this problem is it will only get worse. If you're in the Salt Lake area I can help with a reglue job. Otherwise you can add glue but you'll continue to lose glue and it will start sticking to your (her) bases and cause more problems. If you want to keep using those skins a full reglue is in your future at some point. Or you can buy new skins. I do reglue jobs as a side hussle and I am way cheaper and more convenient than buying new skins.

If you want to text me my number is (801-708-4714) I'm happy to give advice and tips if you want to do it yourself, or if you are close to slc and would like me to do it.

thanks for all the replies, in CO so no dice on SLC assist. Although it sounds like it won't last I'll try to just patch the areas with glue to start and if that doesn't work attempt the full reglue.

Buy some skin cheat sheets or use parchment paper and iron.

Skin reglue thread https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...31-skin-reglue

I have had this happen with the same skins, for essentially the same reason. I got maybe another season with the parchment paper + iron trick, but they will need a reglue sooner rather than later. Even after that they are still pretty meh so it's about time to move on to new skins.

If you live somewhere hot and humid it's probably worth keeping skins in the freezer during the summer. Now I live somewhere cold and humid so I keep them in a sealed box with dessicant.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I use one tube for a set of skins so on that basis if the OP uses half a tube on the skins and then needs to reglue anyway he will probably need to buy another tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrwW0lH2z8

IMO this ^^ is a pretty good link ^^^ showing regluing using the tubes or using the sheets of glue, IME using the sheets of glue it cost way more $ and the glue didnt stick really well to the skin so the glue came off in chunks

The local ski shop owner told me he can no longer get tubes of glue IN CANADA cuz its nasty shit to apply but then I checked the MEC on-line and they still sell it so I duno
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-16-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I got maybe another season with the parchment paper + iron trick, but they will need a reglue sooner rather than later.
    Yeah, I have done the same...not worth the hassel imo. They would last a few outings and then start to leave glue on the bases again which is super annoying. You will need new skins or a re-glue either way