Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Possibly Moving to San Diego, where to live? Other recs?

I may be moving to San Diego this spring. Planning a long weekend trip at the end of January. I would like to stay/eventually live somewhere that's more cultural/interesting, hipster is fine, they have good food and coffee shops. I've only spent time in pacific beach and it felt full of bros and basic girls, not looking for that. I'm 28, like to be social, enjoying running, good food, an area that's culturally interesting, walkable. The main 2 neighborhoods I'm looking at is little italy and north park.

Curious to hear other thoughts.
    -How's making friends like? I've heard SD can be a little clicky, I know a couple people down there but for the most part would be trying to make friends. Climbing gym, running club, yoga studio would be my go-tos for meeting people.
    -How's dating like? I'm 28, single, would prefer a relationship but not in a rush for anything, not that interested in hooking up. Obviously everyone is beautiful, I've heard terms like Man Diego (cause of the Navy base) and peter pan (no one wants to settle down). These seems like broad, probably inaccurate statements for a city this big
    -Looks like there's some small ski resorts around, Mammoth is 7 hrs away. I'm kind of assuming my ski trips will be flying
    -what're the mountain like? Are they mountains or more hills? If I wanted to go for a long run/hike how long is the drive?
    -The other city I'm looking at is Portland. Quite a few similarities but some differences for sure. If people have spent time in both, would love to hear thoughts

are you moving for job or school? Or just a man a leisure? I take it budget isn't a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    are you moving for job or school? Or just a man a leisure? I take it budget isn't a concern?
    Moving by choice. Should be making ~$95k in SD or Portland. Sounds like that will be adequate in SD, but not rich by any means

You might want to visit Hill Crest and South Park too. Ocean beach is hippie version of Pacific frat bro beach.

I'm more of a north county beach town fan, if I was going to waste most my money on rent, for example Solana Beach. I also have always prioritized shorter commute, figure I have to be in the office 5 days a week and not like I would ever go out 5 days a week so more efficient to commute to go out.

Ikon pass and airline credit card pretty easy to get lots of ski trips in flying out of SAN. If you can do your work schedule to be off midweek can really get some good days. I did that a few years in the past. If the LA mountains get snow, there is really good skiing couple hours away.

Been awhile since I was in the SD dating scene, but I got snatched up pretty fast. Suppose depends on what you are looking for.

I met most of my local friends through mountain biking. Lots of good local riding. Unfortunately all the local mtb forums imploded, so not sure how group rides are being organized these days. City has lots of open space.

Other than the surf line up, people are typically pretty friendly. I like San Diego. Biggest complaint is LA is just north of us.

Looks like you could afford around $2,600 a month for rent, so in your shoes I would live in South or North Park. I like SP and even Bankers Hill more than most of North Park, as they seem to be a little more quiet, yet very central to everything.
    Driving to Mammoth is about 6.5 hours away and ya, it is a legit mountain resort. I can give you some ideas for cheaper lodging if you move here, just pm me.
    No clue on the dating scene, but my daughters met both their guys through work and I read the dating scene via apps sucks donkey dicks, so hopefully you work at a larger place and make friends who will introduce you to single women.
    Best of luck and pm me with questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Looks like you could afford around $2,600 a month for rent, so in your shoes I would live in South or North Park. I like SP and even Bankers Hill more than most of North Park, as they seem to be a little more quiet, yet very central to everything.
    Driving to Mammoth is about 6.5 hours away and ya, it is a legit mountain resort. I can give you some ideas for cheaper lodging if you move here, just pm me.
    No clue on the dating scene, but my daughters met both their guys through work and I read the dating scene via apps sucks donkey dicks, so hopefully you work at a larger place and make friends who will introduce you to single women.
    Best of luck and pm me with questions.
    I'll add those to the list of neighborhoods to check out. 6.5 hours is a trek for real skiing but I guess that's the price you pay for perfect weather all year round haha.

My office down there is still remote so unfortunately wont be a good way to meet people. Honestly would consider finding a new job that wouldn't be remote.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    You might want to visit Hill Crest and South Park too. Ocean beach is hippie version of Pacific frat bro beach.

I'm more of a north county beach town fan, if I was going to waste most my money on rent, for example Solana Beach. I also have always prioritized shorter commute, figure I have to be in the office 5 days a week and not like I would ever go out 5 days a week so more efficient to commute to go out.

Ikon pass and airline credit card pretty easy to get lots of ski trips in flying out of SAN. If you can do your work schedule to be off midweek can really get some good days. I did that a few years in the past. If the LA mountains get snow, there is really good skiing couple hours away.

Been awhile since I was in the SD dating scene, but I got snatched up pretty fast. Suppose depends on what you are looking for.

I met most of my local friends through mountain biking. Lots of good local riding. Unfortunately all the local mtb forums imploded, so not sure how group rides are being organized these days. City has lots of open space.

Other than the surf line up, people are typically pretty friendly. I like San Diego. Biggest complaint is LA is just north of us.
    I'll add those to the neighborhood list as well.

Good to hear about the biking, I was actually wondering that. This year running replaced biking but could switch in the future.

Glad to hear about the people and thanks for the input.

Mt. Baldy is the only 'local' ski hill and is worthwhile IF there's enough snow for parking lot runs to open. Still a 2 hour drive each way from SD and that's a big IF on the snow level.

Mammoth and/or the airport for reliable skiing. I know lots of maggots go in together on mammoth condos for the season (or at least they did back around 2005).
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

I spent my early 20s as a single guy in SD. That was 10 years ago so this info might be outdated…

Live in Encinitas if you want beach life.

Live in North Park if you want more urban life.

PB wasn’t my scene - I don’t think you’d be posting on a ski forum if it was yours….

Mammoth remains one of my favorite resorts to ski in the US. It’s worth the drive from SD. I don’t know any other mountain that skis so well during weeks long dry spells between storms… if I were still in SD I’d be finding a way to ski there as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My experience was that I spent a lot more time in the ocean when it was less than 30 minutes from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post

-The other city I'm looking at is Portland…
    My sister lives in SD, for the last 20 years and I have been to Portland a bunch being from Seattle… I feel like both have an urban core beer-forward feel-good brosociety with a massive wealthy republican infestation in the outskirts. Only difference is the weather?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

San Diego doesn’t have weather does it?

I like weather.

Here's a map of SD so you can find your way around : )

Name:  Judgmental Map San Diego.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  126.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    San Diego doesn’t have weather does it?
    People say we don't have seasons, but we do: rainy season (lasts 2-3 days), tick season, rattlesnake season, May grey/June gloom, fire season, Santa ana's season.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    People say we don't have seasons, but we do: rainy season (lasts 2-3 days), tick season, rattlesnake season, May grey/June gloom, fire season, Santa ana's season.
    Name:  Image1671003420.963637.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  31.1 KB

I moved from PNW (Vancouver BC) 15 yrs ago. Way better MTB/skiing up there, and I never minded the rain. I do miss the trees, and the green. But endless summer down here is pretty rad. Winter is now my favorite season, and I barely ever ski.

One thing I'll say about living here with awesome weather is I always feel like should be out doing something and I'm wasting a day if I don't. In the PNW when it's raining you have an excuse to stay home and do nothing, and don't feel guilty about it.

I lived in Little Italy my first couple years here. The main street in each of Little Italy and Gaslamp were bustling, but the rest of downtown was dead. On a Saturday I could go outside my building and look all four ways at the intersection and not see a single person. A Subway 2 blocks away closed daily at 5pm, not open on Sundays. Despite that parking was still a PITA. All of downtown is hopping now. If you try and have guests over good luck finding parking for them nearby. There are so many condo/apt towers now and more going up, sadly a lot of the cool hole in the wall type places are gone, replaced by trendy expensive restaurants/bars. Every person in those tall buildings has a dog and takes it out to pee multiple times a day. The streets all reek of dog piss. It's fucking gross. Cool place to visit, but would not live there now.

I'm in Ocean Beach now, but away from the main drag. Still have easy access to downtown OB, beaches and Shelter Island either walking or by bike. I like it here. Hippy vibe is accurate, but people are pretty cool. North Park / South Park would be my choice if I wanted similar vibe but more inland. Probably better food / drink options there and I'd say it meets the cultural/interesting criteria better. Seems pretty easy to meet friends here pretty much anywhere, but usually based on activities you do. Everyone here is from somewhere else which seems to help.

Outdoors here is pretty awesome. MTB trails are ok, but we have a ton of them. They're probably better for running than MTB. Trail connectivity is pretty good. I can do a 75 mile MTB loop from my place (or go big, the Stagecoach 400 bikepacking route passes by within a mile). The riding available within a 2-3 hour drive is incredible. All of Socal is ringed by mountain ranges, there's a lifetime of stuff to explore. Beyond our local mountains you drop 5,000ft to the desert, perfect for winter exploring. Want to go to Mexico for the day? Just hop on the trolley it'll take you right to the border. Like fishing? Not much trout but we have awesome saltwater fishing for tuna and our lakes have awesome bass fishing. Arizona is a pretty easy weekend trip. It sucks having to drive through LA but Sierras and other places like Death Valley, Zion, Joshua Tree are reasonable for a long weekend trip.

My brother lives in San Diego. He spent some time in La Jolla, only to land himself a perfect bachelor pad in Mission Beach. He's less than a block from the beach and loves it. Sure, MB can crawl with tourists, but he makes it work.

As mentioned earlier, your skiing pipeline is Mammoth. Work your network or hook up with maggots for places to stay up there. Recent enforcement has dirtbag lot camping much more difficult.

Every time I visit my brother, I spend a week or two looking at houses and how I could completely rearrange my life to live down there. It would be a sacrifice, given the taxes, the house for the money, and the wife's job prospects. But man, is it tempting.

It doesn't seem to catch on fire as much as the rest of CA? Or is it just my EC ignorance on the subject?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Oh, it does...probably worse than any other large city because of all the open space. I seem to recall 1 million people being order to evacuate for one of them. I have had to twice.

the 2 big ones:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_Fire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Fire

With the lowish cost Carlsbad to Mammoth flight, I would be tempted to leave a vehicle loaded with gear at the mammoth airport for a few months and fly up for a long weekends bunch of times to backcountry ski or hit the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    It doesn't seem to catch on fire as much as the rest of CA? Or is it just my EC ignorance on the subject?
    lol.

the eastern sierra is wonderful, and mammoth can be fun, but it’s a haul. As for the stereotypes of Ca (taxes, cost, etc) do the numbers on your own
    Last edited by dunfree ; 12-14-2022 at 04:13 PM.

thanks all for the responses, good stuff

I moved from PNW (Vancouver BC) 15 yrs ago. Way better MTB/skiing up there, and I never minded the rain. I do miss the trees, and the green. But endless summer down here is pretty rad. Winter is now my favorite season, and I barely ever ski.

One thing I'll say about living here with awesome weather is I always feel like should be out doing something and I'm wasting a day if I don't. In the PNW when it's raining you have an excuse to stay home and do nothing, and don't feel guilty about it.

I lived in Little Italy my first couple years here. The main street in each of Little Italy and Gaslamp were bustling, but the rest of downtown was dead. On a Saturday I could go outside my building and look all four ways at the intersection and not see a single person. A Subway 2 blocks away closed daily at 5pm, not open on Sundays. Despite that parking was still a PITA. All of downtown is hopping now. If you try and have guests over good luck finding parking for them nearby. There are so many condo/apt towers now and more going up, sadly a lot of the cool hole in the wall type places are gone, replaced by trendy expensive restaurants/bars. Every person in those tall buildings has a dog and takes it out to pee multiple times a day. The streets all reek of dog piss. It's fucking gross. Cool place to visit, but would not live there now.

I'm in Ocean Beach now, but away from the main drag. Still have easy access to downtown OB, beaches and Shelter Island either walking or by bike. I like it here. Hippy vibe is accurate, but people are pretty cool. North Park / South Park would be my choice if I wanted similar vibe but more inland. Probably better food / drink options there and I'd say it meets the cultural/interesting criteria better. Seems pretty easy to meet friends here pretty much anywhere, but usually based on activities you do. Everyone here is from somewhere else which seems to help.

Outdoors here is pretty awesome. MTB trails are ok, but we have a ton of them. They're probably better for running than MTB. Trail connectivity is pretty good. I can do a 75 mile MTB loop from my place (or go big, the Stagecoach 400 bikepacking route passes by within a mile). The riding available within a 2-3 hour drive is incredible. All of Socal is ringed by mountain ranges, there's a lifetime of stuff to explore. Beyond our local mountains you drop 5,000ft to the desert, perfect for winter exploring. Want to go to Mexico for the day? Just hop on the trolley it'll take you right to the border. Like fishing? Not much trout but we have awesome saltwater fishing for tuna and our lakes have awesome bass fishing. Arizona is a pretty easy weekend trip. It sucks having to drive through LA but Sierras and other places like Death Valley, Zion, Joshua Tree are reasonable for a long weekend trip.
    Thanks for the long write up. Lots of good info. Winter is your favorite season and you don't ski? Please explain

OB was my first idea of where to live. I've got a friend of friend that lives in SD and he was saying the homeless was getting pretty bad there? Cool, to hear another vote for north park/south park. I'll definitely be spending some time there when I visit. What do you mean "if you wanted to be more inland"? What does more inland get you? More urban? hotter? better access to freeways?

Also happy to hear there are a lot of people from other places. That was one of my favorite things about nyc, everyone was from somewhere else so everyone trying to make friends instead of having friends from 10 years ago.

you can mountain bike from your place in OB? Seriously? I'm surprised.

Any climbing around?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    My brother lives in San Diego. He spent some time in La Jolla, only to land himself a perfect bachelor pad in Mission Beach. He's less than a block from the beach and loves it. Sure, MB can crawl with tourists, but he makes it work.

As mentioned earlier, your skiing pipeline is Mammoth. Work your network or hook up with maggots for places to stay up there. Recent enforcement has dirtbag lot camping much more difficult.

Every time I visit my brother, I spend a week or two looking at houses and how I could completely rearrange my life to live down there. It would be a sacrifice, given the taxes, the house for the money, and the wife's job prospects. But man, is it tempting.
    You're in portland right? How do you think the cities compare?

Cool. I'm excited to check it out. Haven't been there in a few years.

All I gotta say is I lived at the beach from age 28 through my mid 30's and it was just the best fucking time of my life.

Enjoy it.

I'd like others who actually live in or have lived in SD to chime in, but another place you might consider is Normal Heights. It's fairly close to North Park, but not as trendy and maybe a notch or two grittier and, thus, I imagine a bit cheaper. My sister used to live there and it seems like it had a lot going for it for a single person in their 20s. Check it out when you're there. Adams Avenue is the main drag.

When it snows, Snow Summit is better than Big Bear.
    Big Bear is good for hot girls standing by park with snowboards

Camp and surf @ San Onofre