Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    A couple of questions: if you lived in North County, say Carlsbad, how far is the drive to Mammoth and Big Bear/Snow Summit realistically? Also, when you get some altitude in the mountains near San Diego, are there forests or is it still really dry deserty terrain?
    Mammoth is a 6 hour drive and BB is about 2 hours. There are local small mountains and some forest within an hour drive but no skiing.
    The drive to Mammoth is worth it and ski clubs make it a bit more affordable on the lodging.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yeah, big sugar pines in San Diego Mtns less than hour from town. Have good hike/mtb trails.

I would say Big Bear is 2.5 hrs, Mammoth closer to 7, Mt Baldy is 2 hrs. With no traffic. The only section of highway CHP seems to enforce a speed limit is 395 north of 14.

Possibly Moving to San Diego, where to live? Other recs?

Ok, Mammoth is a haul. Is lodging super expensive, like CO ski town expensive?

Is BB or Snow Summit good at all?

Are the San Diego Mtns all like this? See pic. Or are there real forests?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8361.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	445659

That pic is the San Diego river gorge. Huge fires burned through there in 2002 and 2007 along with most of East County. This area is too low to have much forest cover to begin with. Between that and the fires there are not many trees left, just a few patches. Unfortunately once forests burn down here, they often don't come back.

We still have some nice forest around Mount Laguna and at Palomar Mountain. Both are around an hour away. More extensive real forest in the San Gabriels, San Bernardino Mtns (Big Bear area) and San Jacintos/Santa Rosa Mtns above Palm Springs but those are all a couple hours away. Then there are some patches of trees up on Black Mtn Ramona and Cuyamaca Peak and in the Santa Ana mountains above Orange County.

Other than that, most of our mountains resemble the pic.

That looks like the hike to Cedar cr falls, which is west of the "mountains". Higher elevations looks like this, (but do drop off fast to more scrub):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220826_201746835.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	445661

If you look at a topo map, elevations above about 5000 ft. Not sure what you are asking about approach? There isn't really backcountry skiing in San Diego...although I have managed some legit turns it is really short drop and not very often snow deep/good enough. Nordic skiing would be possible more often.

Edit to add: Yes, Mammoth lodging is expensive, but price drops significantly in spring. Also tons of public land for dirt bag camping. Booking far in advance, I was looking at ~$350 per night studio walking distance to village gondola in Feb. Booked $250 per night two bedroom same complex for April. If you look a weekend ahead, would be really crazy. But it is also a big snow year.
    Last edited by 406; 02-02-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing about trees.

A lot of the mountains (San Gabriels, San Bernardino Mtns, Big Bear, etc.) seem to be right next to LA. Are the mountains not overrun with people with them being right next to the 2nd biggest city in the US? Seems weird to drive towards the bigger city to get to mountains, but I guess if that's where the mountains are...

I have fun at Snow Summit skiing telemark with my young kids. Would rather do other things than drive up and alpine there. There is some fun side country for powder days, example: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaVs6dUP...d=NjcyZGVjMzk=

Mt Baldy ski area is legit and when has snow one of my favorite all time ski areas. But it is very rustic and has a non resort vibe that lots of people don't like...can also be a cluster fuck. They need natural snow, so some years don't open. Example of some turns a couple days post storm:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CMf7Zk0h...d=NjcyZGVjMzk=

Back country in San Gabe's, Berdo's, and San Jan can be really good. Steep learning curve on condition timing turns a lot of people off. As you probably know, sierra backcountry is some of the best in the world and in good years is ~couple hours closer than mammoth.

Prior to having 3 kids it was pretty easy to get >30 quality ski days in per year living in SD. I value variety and quality over quantity, so if inclined would think it would be easy to double that if you set up an ideal work schedule and have money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing about trees.

A lot of the mountains San Gabriels, San Bernardino Mtns, Big Bear, etc.) seem to be right next to LA. Are the mountains not overrun with people with them being right next to the 2nd biggest city in the US? Seems weird to drive towards the bigger city to get to mountains, but I guess if that's where the mountains are...
    LA north of us is my biggest complaint about San Diego. Traffic is the biggest issue. Don't really see many people after quarter mile from roads. But the snow play clowns will clog the roads. There are a couple hot spots that get a lot of hikers, but probably about the same as CO or Wasatch. Some of the easy access spots I backcountry ski would have moguls if in the Wasatch and typically at most only see a few other people during prime conditions.

My (old) experience, getting to baldy on a weekday is very challenging and can take a long time due to commuter traffic.

Advice about SD living, do not underestimate the pure joy experienced from spending even 20 minutes bouncing around in shorebreak.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Advice about SD living, do not underestimate the pure joy experienced from spending even 20 minutes bouncing around in shorebreak.
    Yeah, that's what I learned this trip. SD doesn't have the big city feel of nyc, or the access to skiing/mountains that Bozeman has BUT it has surfing at your front door, the beauty of the ocean, some mountains, ideal temps, and lots of sun, there's a reason why so many people vacation there. If a peg is round, don't try and fit it through a square hole. Appreciate it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Yeah, big sugar pines in San Diego Mtns less than hour from town. Have good hike/mtb trails.

I would say Big Bear is 2.5 hrs, Mammoth closer to 7, Mt Baldy is 2 hrs. With no traffic. The only section of highway CHP seems to enforce a speed limit is 395 north of 14.
    Radar detector is my friend. Best time door to door is 5:45 from Coronado to Mammoth

^^^ That's cooking
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Okay I think I'm making the move. Appreciate all the advice and thoughts in this thread!

Will be posting misc questions while working through the move. Leaning towards living in OB, gotta be close to the beach at least for the first couple of years. What's parking like? I currently have a large sierra crew cab, 6.5' bed. Figured that's gotta go (plus I don't see myself needing a pickup that big there), I'd like to get a tacoma but not sure if parking would be too much of a pain. Thoughts? Used to live in Seattle and my roomates had a tacoma and f150 and they survived. Can't be worse than that I'd assume

Is there good surf spots for relative rookies near OB? Google seems to recommend PB or farther north for rookie surfers

Long shot, anyone have connections on finding a place to rent in OB or similar? It would be well taken care of, I own a house and know how to take care of place. Would like a 2 bedroom preferably or a spacious 3 bed. Looking to start a lease ~May 1st but can be flexible. I'll do the zillow thing but figured this is at least worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Will be posting misc questions while working through the move.

What's parking like?

Is there good surf spots for relative rookies near OB?
    Spent ~1 month in OB living with a friend of a friend so not the best source...but:

Parking within a couple blocks of the beach sucks in the evenings and on weekends. Mornings are OK. Once you're into the hilly neighborhoods there is ample parking for vehicles of all sizes. My Express van didn't feel huge driving around there.

I surfed mostly at Tourmaline. OB never looked good (for a kook on a longboard) while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Spent ~1 month in OB living with a friend of a friend so not the best source...but:

Parking within a couple blocks of the beach sucks in the evenings and on weekends. Mornings are OK. Once you're into the hilly neighborhoods there is ample parking for vehicles of all sizes. My Express van didn't feel huge driving around there.

I surfed mostly at Tourmaline. OB never looked good (for a kook on a longboard) while I was there.
    Are there hilly, beautiful neighborhoods you’d recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Are there hilly, beautiful neighborhoods you’d recommend?
    Well there is Hill Street. It's pretty steep : )

The worst parking seems to be around the commercial areas like Newport where bars/restaurants draw a lot of people in from outside OB, combined with local residential parking nearby. Plan on all the nearby side streets being jammed with cars. Same with areas that are comprised of mostlu rentals, which is most of OB. You'll be able to find parking but it might be a block or two away. There won't be much difference between a tacoma and fullsize.

Plenty of surf options nearby....OB dog beach, mission beach, PB, La jolla depending on the swell.

Plan on $3k for 2BR and closer to $4k for 3BR. Lots of places are never advertised online, they just put a sign up. I'd come down and visit, walk around look for rental signs and talk to people like building managers.

Another misc question...looking at vehicles to replace my 1/2 ton. Been looking on craigslist and noticed that there's some vehicles that are ~30% less than the rest of the cars on the market. The craigslist ad stays up for a long time, way longer than it should given the deal, they also all happen to be in spanish. Scam? Stolen? Just a good deal.....?

Definite scams, run away and stick to Auto Trader or local dealers.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Definite scams, run away and stick to Auto Trader or local dealers.
    Good to know. Thanks

PeachesNCream…do you have a year 1 update? How has living in SD been?

I haven't met many people who regretted living in SD. It's expensive, crowded, and the best ski options involve the airport but otherwise it's just about perfect. We left 5 years ago after 12 years there but are moving back this summer for the foreseeable future. Surf is just as much fun as snow and able to be enjoyed almost daily. I eventually quit skiing and just focused on surfing while living there but there are plenty of cheap flights to SLC or other places with consistent snowfall. If you like Mammoth that's an even better option but I just can't get excited about that place.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    I haven't met many people who regretted living in SD. It's expensive, crowded, and the best ski options involve the airport but otherwise it's just about perfect. We left 5 years ago after 12 years there but are moving back this summer for the foreseeable future. Surf is just as much fun as snow and able to be enjoyed almost daily. I eventually quit skiing and just focused on surfing while living there but there are plenty of cheap flights to SLC or other places with consistent snowfall. If you like Mammoth that's an even better option but I just can't get excited about that place.
    What part of town are you looking to move to this summer?

I’ve always loved the North County beach towns when I’ve visited.

We own a home in Point Loma and that's where we'll move back to. We're renovating it though so we'll be looking for a short term rental for the summer and fall in or around that area.

If I were working remotely we'd probably live in Encinitas or Leucadia but there's no way to justify that commute on a daily basis from San Diego.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

^^^ the commute is that bad from there? There’s no light rail?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    We own a home in Point Loma and that's where we'll move back to. We're renovating it though so we'll be looking for a short term rental for the summer and fall in or around that area.

If I were working remotely we'd probably live in Encinitas or Leucadia but there's no way to justify that commute on a daily basis from San Diego.
    Thing Two is just finishing her freshman year at PLNU…..Love that area of SD. Good on you!