Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Berthoud Pass Avy conditions

Looking to head up to Berthoud Pass this week and wanted to see if anyone had 1st hand beta on snow and Avy conditions there?

First hand conditions based on reports from many people (everyone that submits an observation plus forecaster's own observations)
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/?lat=3...77328982253013

Things will change daily this week with significant snowfall.

Its a pretty classically shitty early season set up. Luckily we have one of the best avalanche centers in the world with forecasters doing everything they can to keep you safe. If you haven't been reading the forecast and discussion everyday, start with that. This summarizes what is going on:

Avalanche conditions are dangerous. Backcountry travel requires conservative choices and careful route-finding to stay away from avalanches. This means dialing back your terrain choices, giving steep slopes more space than you might think, and paying attention to subtle changes in terrain. Do not let sunny skies or fresh powder outweigh your caution.

During the dry November period, there was widespread snow cover on northerly and easterly aspects. This layer created a weak blanket of faceted snow near the ground. Snow and wind from the past two weeks formed a thick slab resting on top of this weak foundation. Avalanches are breaking widely and running big as the slab gains cohesion. The snowpack will give you fewer warning signs of instability, like cracking and collapsing.
    What nobody can control is your decision making. What keeps you and your friends same over the long haul is understanding that we are are the problem. All of us are at risk of making poor choices for many reasons. The snowpack does not care how flat your brim, how much venom in your vipers or your desire to ski pow.

If you have specific questions about any of this, ask here and people can direct you to some educational resources. This is serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

What nobody can control is your decision making. What keeps you and your friends same over the long haul is understanding that we are are the problem. All of us are at risk of making poor choices for many reasons. The snowpack does not care how flat your brim, how much venom in your vipers or your desire to ski pow..
    Well said Foggy.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

https://classic.avalanche.state.co.u...=825&accfm=rep

They will clean it up after the final report, but 4 caught, 2 buried, 1 did not survive. R2D2 is not your friend.

four backcountry tourers were caught in a large avalanche near the summit of Berthoud Pass in an area locally known as Nitro Chute
    #shocking

This week is always a junk show up there: https://classic.avalanche.state.co.u...=766&accfm=inv
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

For better or worse, Berthoud Pass is Le Junk Show

This has been the only constant for decades. I'm pretty numb to it, but consider this. There was an avalanche fatality within a couple hundred meters of a major highway is plain view of tens of thousands of motorists. The terrain is accessible with about a 15min. boot pack. Early reports for those I know and trust on scene, both recreationalists and first responders indicate that The Plunge had can huge earlier in the day and that at some point after that but prior to the fatal slide, a solo skier had been ascending the apron below Nitro.

If you or anyone you know, could benefit from some avalanche awareness, check out https://www.berthoudpass.org/ There are some virtual classes coming up if you can't get to a classroom session.

Also please remember that while you want to stay sharp on your companion rescue and first aid skills, many avalanche burials are not survivable. If you have questions or seek mentorship, please ask.

This is a dangerous game with some risk that can not be mitigated. That said, this one hits pretty hard because it is in my backyard and in someways I could see myself in that terrain under these conditions.

The place could use some sort of professional patrol and safety management program. And I hate to say that because I'm usually against that kinda thing.

I really like FOBP’s tendency to minimize snow analysis and focus on terrain management. Our snow pack is always awful. Snow pits give little valuable information beyond the precise location where they are dug, even if you are skilled and practiced in all of the nuances of snow pits.

I saw this on CAIC yesterday and I think it is new. One page with all avalanche related deaths and a bunch of accidents since 2014.
    I’m likely more conservative than most, but if the approach or decent is on this list, I don’t ski it until spring consolidation. Lots of accidents on yellow days.
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/accidents/colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    The place could use some sort of professional patrol and safety management program. And I hate to say that because I'm usually against that kinda thing.
    Why? What would it do? Do you hate 'murica?

There is an awesome ski area just down the street. They even have lifts that take you to the top.

I honestly can’t believe how many ski that area in early winter conditions. RIP.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 12-27-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I don't think the USFS is going to allow that.

I haven't seen the name of the victim. I'm wondering if he's a guy I know....

sorry to read this. 4 out of 5 caught for a ride is concerning.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I haven't seen the name of the victim. I'm wondering if he's a guy I know....
    Brian Bunnell, science teacher @ Conifer HS. JeffCo Schools just sent out the notification to parents at Conifer HS.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    I really like FOBP’s tendency to minimize snow analysis and focus on terrain management. Our snow pack is always awful. Snow pits give little valuable information beyond the precise location where they are dug, even if you are skilled and practiced in all of the nuances of snow pits.
    I tend to agree with that sentiment. I view it as such until spring when it actually settles. There's that astronaut with the gun meme out there saying "Facets? it always has been" that speaks a lot more of the truth than the humor implies. Most people dig garbage snow pits on the wrong aspects of their skiing most of the time anyway.

I took the Dean Cummings Steep Life class before Avy 1, and that was very terrain focused (ex. View your run from the high point ). Cool course. There are some YT videos if interested.

Stay safe mags

Re: snowpits

There are three main reasons I do know dig nor reply on data provided by snowpits around the Berthoud Pass area in normal winter conditions.

1. The CAIC is an amazing center has has done all the science for you. I read this everyday and can build a picture of the snowpack without ever been there. I don't need to perform any tests to know about basal facets, windloading and so on.

2. The normal avalanche problem (Persistent Slab and/or Deep Persistent Slab) exihibit a high level of spacial variability and, as such, are not good candidates for making go/no go decisions based on snow pit analysis.

3. I have come to understand that my safety is greatly improved under mid winter conditions by placing some pretty hard terrain restrictions on myself before I even leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMatt View Post
    Brian Bunnell, science teacher @ Conifer HS. JeffCo Schools just sent out the notification to parents at Conifer HS.
    Wow!! Same first name as my friend, but different guys. Whewww..... Sorry for his family.
    Last edited by Hacksaw; 12-28-2022 at 03:20 PM.

https://www.inforum.com/news/fargo/f...-christmas-day

RIP - I didn't know Brian personally as he was a few years older than I, but he attended the same schools as I growing up. Wish I could have shared a chair and some turns. + vibes and prayers for his family.

Jesus fuck, his poor kids having dig him out of the snow. I can't even imagine....

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Re: snowpits

There are three main reasons I do know dig nor reply on data provided by snowpits around the Berthoud Pass area in normal winter conditions.

1. The CAIC is an amazing center has has done all the science for you. I read this everyday and can build a picture of the snowpack without ever been there. I don't need to perform any tests to know about basal facets, windloading and so on.

2. The normal avalanche problem (Persistent Slab and/or Deep Persistent Slab) exihibit a high level of spacial variability and, as such, are not good candidates for making go/no go decisions based on snow pit analysis.

3. I have come to understand that my safety is greatly improved under mid winter conditions by placing some pretty hard terrain restrictions on myself before I even leave the house.
    All spot on.

RIP Brian.

Fuck, I don't look forward to the report. RIP.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Jesus fuck, his poor kids having dig him out of the snow. I can't even imagine....
    Yep.

Full report of the nitro slide is up.