Bikepacking Japan?

Skibee and I are looking starting planning a bikepacking trip in Japan next year.

Just at the initial stages, but 1-2 weeks, loop(s) 50 miles/80km/day (ish) Mix of on/off road, Camping and basic inside.

Dates are either March, or October,

Dont really know much for a starting point for location that might have this criteria, and location for the above dates?

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/cycle/

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Skibee and I are looking starting planning a bikepacking trip in Japan next year.

Just at the initial stages, but 1-2 weeks, loop(s) 50 miles/80km/day (ish) Mix of on/off road, Camping and basic inside.

Dates are either March, or October,

Dont really know much for a starting point for location that might have this criteria, and location for the above dates?

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    thanks. watched 2 so far. Good inspiration,

thanks. watched 2 so far. Good inspiration,
    Glad you enjoy! Looking forward to your report (if you post one).

I can't think of a better place for an adventure like yours. Bathing facilities (onsen) are everywhere, and cheap. Camping anywhere or everywhere is safe and will not invite police scrutiny or thieves. The worst food in a convenience store in Japan is better than the best food in convenience stores anywhere else. All the bathrooms are clean and no one vibes you for using them to clean up, change up or shave. All Family Mart and Lawson's have free WiFi. Drivers yield and roads are safe, even without shoulders. Have a great trip!

I can't think of a better place for an adventure like yours. Bathing facilities (onsen) are everywhere, and cheap. Camping anywhere or everywhere is safe and will not invite police scrutiny or thieves. The worst food in a convenience store in Japan is better than the best food in convenience stores anywhere else. All the bathrooms are clean and no one vibes you for using them to clean up, change up or shave. All Family Mart and Lawson's have free WiFi. Drivers yield and roads are safe, even without shoulders. Have a great trip!
    Thanks. Sounds like you have done some biking in Japan?

1) Suggestion on where to go in October thats still warmish? Not too worried about coast vs mountains, as its all new culture for us. We are both experienced bikepackers (skibee has done 1-2 trips per year, usually 2-4 week) and this is more about FOOD and new culture then big miles.

2) is a mix of camping and inside an option? hostels? cheap hotels? Extra room in family house?

Again sorry, I'm just starting the research

2)

Thanks. Sounds like you have done some biking in Japan?

1) Suggestion on where to go in October thats still warmish? Not too worried about coast vs mountains, as its all new culture for us. We are both experienced bikepackers (skibee has done 1-2 trips per year, usually 2-4 week) and this is more about FOOD and new culture then big miles.

2) is a mix of camping and inside an option? hostels? cheap hotels? Extra room in family house?

Again sorry, I'm just starting the research

2)
    No sir, I was car camping and riding a motorbike around Honshu and Hokkaido. I just hung a hammock between trees and slept open, even at truckstops and pull-offs. There are many official campsites, but I saw people boondocking on beaches all over the place. Booking.com is excellent over there for a range of options. Ryokan is what you want for homestay or simple, Japanese-style accommodations. There are a few mags living over there, hopefully they see your post and chime in because they know more than I do. Mike Pow, CascadeCrudSkier, gaijin, and a few others seem to have good, inside info and post regular in the 22/23 JAPAN SCENE? thread.

One interesting and unusual option for lodging could be WWOOF. Super under the radar.

I think in October you will be comfortable everywhere south of Tohoku, and even there were still some beautiful days and nights. Tokyo and south will just be starting to be comfortable again after hot summer but again, those guys above will know more about that - I have not spent much time down there.

I have a trip report where you might find some helpful info, particularly a post about SIM cards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HONDA APE.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	905.0 KB 
ID:	438102

Name:	ROCINANTE.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	862.5 KB 
ID:	438103
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 12-13-2022 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added URL

looks like we are going Oct 12-27th and this is on the list for bike touring/packing

Tokyo to Kyoto and take a non-bullet train back to Tokoyo.

https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/385077/...35.085/137.766

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    following!

All these points are why I loved Japan. Just a safe feeling country with no BS.

Excelente! Ms CE is sold on a trip.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

trip booked for most of October...

I’ve done 2 bike trips to Japan in October

Name:	Image1685805172.836951.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	834.5 KB 
ID:	460733

Name:	Image1685805218.945643.jpg 
Size:	858.8 KB 
ID:	460734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685805241.282850.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	883.2 KB 
ID:	460735
    October is still warm but the temps on northern Honshu are just starting to become more tolerable. It will still be humid. So it can be a great time. However it is also the heart of Typhoon season and both times we got to experience them. The second trip they where more than we bargained for with over an meter of rain in 24 hours fully flooding and shutting everything down around Nagano.

My advice is to black cat your luggage ahead to each location. It’s very reliable and usually overnight. Best of all it’s cheap.

At the end of the trip you can ship the bikes and all of your luggage straight to your airport terminal and can enjoy Tokyo luggage free for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I’ve done 2 bike trips to Japan in October

Name:	Image1685805172.836951.jpg 
Size:	834.5 KB 
ID:	460733

Name:	Image1685805218.945643.jpg 
Size:	858.8 KB 
ID:	460734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685805241.282850.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	883.2 KB 
ID:	460735
    October is still warm but the temps on northern Honshu are just starting to become more tolerable. It will still be humid. So it can be a great time. However it is also the heart of Typhoon season and both times we got to experience them. The second trip they where more than we bargained for with over an meter of rain in 24 hours fully flooding and shutting everything down around Nagano.

My advice is to black cat your luggage ahead to each location. It’s very reliable and usually overnight. Best of all it’s cheap.

At the end of the trip you can ship the bikes and all of your luggage straight to your airport terminal and can enjoy Tokyo luggage free for a few days.
    Thanks. Looks fun.

looking for a nice temperature zone, and will then plan a bike route around that. Assuming its mostly paved so 50-80km/day (30-50 miles) and not camping.

Fall might be changing leaf season as well, so maybe something like that?

Any suggestions team?