Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    LINDA RONSTADT: THE SOUND OF MY VOICE
    I was pleasantly surprised by this doc.
    I have to admit that I didn't know much about LR other than that she dated Jerry Brown on his first go-around as Governor of California. Suffice it to say, she was a badass during her career. What a set of pipes. And her command of different musical genres was pretty unparalleled. She also seems like she was hella cool and not a spoiled diva, which was refreshing to see given her stature and level of stardom she achieved.
    The film is a classic documentary in that it unfolds in a pretty linear fashion, starting with LR's birth, her upbringing in the Southwest, and continues on from there chronicling her meteoric career.
    To this end, the film contains some fantastic archival footage and a host of great interviews from the likes of Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Ry Cooder, Emmylou Harris, and more.
    I had no idea how deep Ronstadt's career went nor about her connections to Neil Young, The Eagles, and others.
    I also had no idea that she is just a singer (and a mightly damn good one), not a songwriter. She's like Sinatra, a vocalist with a signature voice that is heralded for her interpretations of other people's songs. She was also a maverick when it came to the course of her career (she literally flipped her script at least 5 times in terms of the genres of music she peformed).
    The only minor off-putting element of the film is that it has a tendency to feel slightly maudlin when discussing why she retired from singing.
    Still, if you are into popular music at all, this is completely worth watching for the classic footage and interviews with her peers.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Here’s another stellar doc about another badass lady:

JULIA
    Sacre merde!!!
    Julia Child was a Boss.
    This is a wonderfully charming documentary about the life and times of a true gastronomic pioneer.
    It's informative, illuminating, funny AF, and poignant.
    She was truly a larger-than-life personality.
    And her love of butter? Holy moly!

This weeks Last of Us episode had to be one of the best 60min of television in recent years….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Looking forward to watching The Last of Us. It sounds great.

I wish streaming sites would get away from the weekly release formula though. Just release the whole damn season so I can watch it at my own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This weeks Last of Us episode had to be one of the best 60min of television in recent years….

Hard to argue otherwise .....

Dooks - this is why you posted about Linda, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hard to argue otherwise .....

Dooks - this is why you posted about Linda, isn't it?
    I’m obviously not as pop culturally savvy as I think I am cuz I ain’t getting the Linda/The Last of Us connection…

HBO Max Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I’m obviously not as pop culturally savvy as I think I am cuz I ain’t getting the Linda/The Last of Us connection…
    But there is one.

And agree, for an end of the world story, this recent episode was very much enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Looking forward to watching The Last of Us. It sounds great.

I wish streaming sites would get away from the weekly release formula though. Just release the whole damn season so I can watch it at my own pace.
    I used to think this but recently I’ll just binge a series in a day or two and then get pissed I have nothing to watch.

It’s the water cooler effect, HBO has been doing it for a long time. One at a time every Sunday night gives people something to talk about at work on Monday. Builds more hype for the series.

I’m rewatching it again tonight, it really was a fantastic episode. My wife usually doesn’t like zombie shows nor video game adaptations but she loves this.

The same day the Linda doc drops, the Last of Us episode has two Ronstadt songs as a prominent part of the plot.

….Just HBO doing HBO thangs….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That’s the best part. Knowing it is a video game adaptation, a part of me was wondering how the story of Bill and Frank would be told in a shoot-em up apocalyptic game (I have no experience with the game). But regardless of the source material, it was such a perfect part of the story to tell.

The same day the Linda doc drops, the Last of Us episode has two Ronstadt songs as a prominent part of the plot.

….Just HBO doing HBO thangs….

Ah.
    Wish I had intended to be that ironically pop culturally savvy…
    I actually don’t have HBOMax anymore.
    And I’m not a huge fan of series, either.
    So I hain’t seen The Last of Us yet and prolly won’t.

But I still recommend that LR doc!

And that part where the Canadian Rockies were used as a backdrop for "10 miles west of Boston"? So sloppy. Or lazy. Thats really into wtf territory. I'm not sold and seems like the critics are so enamoured of the drama that they are giving the rest of the show a free pass.

Bill's battle against the raiders was just plain dumb. He had an arsenal and fixed defensive positions. But he's shown dueling it out in the open with a deer rifle? He would have been shredded. That's lighting and visuals determining the plot. Embarrassingly bad.

Just sayin', that fucked up my willing suspension of disbelief more than mushroom zombies that have no spores. Spores are too problematic for tv writing so let's just drop that key concept entirely...but lets still have fruiting bodies all over the place cuz that looks so fungusy. That's high concept bullshit, not the best tv show in years.

Good show but it already has GIGANTIC plot holes after just three episodes so...yikes. The dramatic elements are solid but the sci-fi/world building is a bit wobbly, to say the least.

Not looking forward to another HBO show that starts out as prestige TV and slowly fizzles as things that look cool take priority over things that make sense.

HBO actually has a shit track record on these scifi/fantasy shows. GoT, Westworld, Raised by Wolves...all had better starts than finishes.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-31-2023 at 12:32 PM.

I have to admit that I didn't know much about LR other than that she dated Jerry Brown on his first go-around as Governor of California. Suffice it to say, she was a badass during her career. What a set of pipes. And her command of different musical genres was pretty unparalleled. She also seems like she was hella cool and not a spoiled diva, which was refreshing to see given her stature and level of stardom she achieved.
    The film is a classic documentary in that it unfolds in a pretty linear fashion, starting with LR's birth, her upbringing in the Southwest, and continues on from there chronicling her meteoric career.
    To this end, the film contains some fantastic archival footage and a host of great interviews from the likes of Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Ry Cooder, Emmylou Harris, and more.
    I had no idea how deep Ronstadt's career went nor about her connections to Neil Young, The Eagles, and others.
    I also had no idea that she is just a singer (and a mightly damn good one), not a songwriter. She's like Sinatra, a vocalist with a signature voice that is heralded for her interpretations of other people's songs. She was also a maverick when it came to the course of her career (she literally flipped her script at least 5 times in terms of the genres of music she peformed).
    The only minor off-putting element of the film is that it has a tendency to feel slightly maudlin when discussing why she retired from singing.
    Still, if you are into popular music at all, this is completely worth watching for the classic footage and interviews with her peers.

Linda Ronstadt was amazing. I have most of her ‘70s albums on vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    And that part where the Canadian Rockies were used as a backdrop for "10 miles west of Boston"? So sloppy. Or lazy. Thats really into wtf territory.
    Probably just a tie in to the Deer Hunter. Western Pennsylvania has some mountains that look suspiciously like the Cascades.

Late to the party but hearing some oldie songs from TLOU’s latest episode just hit differently

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Probably just a tie in to the Deer Hunter. Western Pennsylvania has some mountains that look suspiciously like the Cascades.
    Just sayin', its dumb and lazy to show a wall of 8000ft mtns and call it east Massachusetts. Some cgi nerd could have fixed that easy, right? Or maybe just don't point the cameras at the mountain when you shoot pickups on a different location from a later episode? Or just say the hell with continuity, I guess.

Weak. For a $100M tentpole production that's weak sauce. File it under: this doesn't bode well. Just sayin', can we trust them to build an entire alternate world if they can't even depict the skyline around Worcester. Will this show adhere to some sort of internal logic or is the science of the infection just whatever the plot requires at that moment. Already looks like the latter.

Plus it's not consistent, not at all. One episode shows a material scarcity so real that Joel needs to ask to have a ziploc baggy returned to him. Another shows Joel and Ellie drive off from a huge stockpile of precious supplies in a half empty truck and he doesn't even toss one of Bill's empty fuel barrels into the back of the truck. Much was said about dangerous people but bill and frank apparently lived in the boonies for 20 years mostly free to do whatever, whenever, never worried about getting picked off by riflemen. Glaring inconsistencies are already distracting me.

I watched Chernobyl three times so I had very high expectations for this. It's decent but not in the same class as Chernobyl.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-31-2023 at 12:48 PM.

wow

Seems .... nit-picky, but I'll give you your due. I noticed several of those issues as well - especially Bill's battle with the raiders, but really appreciated the bitter-sweet story line. Could have been crustaceans from Alpha Centauri and still had the same impact.

And fuck all the homophobes that couldn't see past their own flaws.

And yes, Chernobyl is better.

When they showed the scenery from 10 miles West of Boston I will admit to google mapping that shit and calling shenanigans to my wife. I feel this series is more about the story telling and the performances. I didn’t let details worry me.

The first two episodes were a pretty good watch and they knocked it out of the park on the third. I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I’ll be there watching on Sunday, I’ll bet you’ll be there as well.

Also, just to be fair the Tess lighter scene was lame and predictable as fuck.

Circling back, this was great. I think it would be even better for someone that’s not a fan as an introduction to Linda

I was yesterday years old when I found out that Snoop was a female.

That Hilti buying scene went by Twitter a couple weeks ago, made me re-watch the entire series. Holy shit, that is such a good watch. Drugs, cops, docks, politicians, teachers, it weaved it all together season by season leading to a crescendo.

So many great characters, highly recommended.

Even in post apocalyptic America people continue to get fucked by Missouri.

So the stalker next door neighbor girl from Two and Half Men is supposed to be some hardened militia leader…….hmm

She plays crazy well I guess but curious to see how that character plays out.

Came on here to find something to watch, guess I'll give Last of Us a shot, hope it doesn't suck
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

The zombie fungus is apparently edible and rather tasty:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/wha...the-last-of-us