Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    True Detective: Night Country.
    A little bumpy and fantastical so far. I keep flashing on Fortitude and 30 Days of Night.
    Exactly my thoughts and feelings

Plus throw in an number of shows recently that have highlighted the fate, futility & fatality of the indigenous

Last night the kids (ages 6 and 8) and I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Porco Rosso." I saw it back in the late 90s on VHS and a small TV, so was just in awe this time around with just how drop-dead gorgeous this film actually was. So many beautiful hand-painted backdrops. Kids got a bit of a quick history lesson about early fascist Italy, aviator culture and the Adriatic region. I absolutely adore the leisurely but even pacing of the movie. A nice break from the ADD style so many modern movies are prone to these days. Thankfully, I've been raising my little ones with the stuff I grew up with (like old school Mister Rogers) so they thoroughly enjoyed it and were never bored. They were BEGGING me not to pause it for the night as bedtime approached, so we finished it despite my better judgment. Haha. Highly, HIGHLY recommended for a family or solo viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    True Detective: Night Country.
    A little bumpy and fantastical so far. I keep flashing on Fortitude and 30 Days of Night.
    I actually liked it. I don't disagree with your synopsis but the cast was strong enough to propel the story. The end was a bit meh, however.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Yeah, it definitely grows on you. I would put it on the same level as season 1, maybe even better (different?) in some ways.
    Haven't watched the finale yet, but I always try to keep my expectations tamped down, as endings rarely do it right.

Continuing with HBO's Studio Ghibli offerings, I FINALLY got around to watching Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" from 2013. Another film with a fascinating view of early 1900s aviation, but this time more specifically Japan and the lead up to WWII. It is a somewhat fictionalized, fantastical biopic of the real life Jiro Horikoshi, the chief engineer for Mitsubishi that helped create the A5M Zero among many other iconic fighters of the war. As usual, the outspoken pacifist Miyazaki does a MASTERFUL job of showing foreign perspectives on very difficult topics that we don't often see. The gray areas so to speak. The real life Jiro Horikoshi was evidently none too stoked on his masterpieces being used as tools of war, and the film does a beautiful dance addressing that.

It's a story of passion, of love, and is hands down one of THE most beautiful pieces of artwork I have ever seen in my entire life. The score was done by Joe Hisaishi, conducting the Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Orchestra himself, and that alone can bring one to tears. This one was nominated for a ton of awards, won a bunch, and now I see why. An absolute must-watch in my opinion.

I thought Night Country was a total complete disappointment. I was pretty hyped for the lead actors, the setting and premise, the showrunners and producers - all of it really. They had everything they needed to make this really great.

I thought the plot was sloppy, the pacing was disjointed, the references to season 1 obvious and lazy, and the finale completely unsatisfying and frankly hard for me to imagine how they thought it was a good way to tie up the story. All of a sudden it’s a group of indigenous women who killed all the white men for wrecking the environment - that could have been a great plot if they didn’t just introduce these characters in the last 10 minutes of the final episode.

My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series. Unclear how this could even be compared in the same sentence to season 1 IMHO. I’d put it on par with season 3.

Pizzolato (the showrunner for season 1) called season 4 “so stupid” and said “I certainly did not have any input on this story - can’t blame me”

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I thought Night Country was a total complete disappointment. I was pretty hyped for the lead actors, the setting and premise, the showrunners and producers - all of it really. They had everything they needed to make this really great.

I thought the plot was sloppy, the pacing was disjointed, the references to season 1 obvious and lazy, and the finale completely unsatisfying and frankly hard for me to imagine how they thought it was a good way to tie up the story. All of a sudden it’s a group of indigenous women who killed all the white men for wrecking the environment - that could have been a great plot if they didn’t just introduce these characters in the last 10 minutes of the final episode.

My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series. Unclear how this could even be compared in the same sentence to season 1 IMHO. I’d put it on par with season 3.

Pizzolato (the showrunner for season 1) called season 4 “so stupid” and said “I certainly did not have any input on this story - can’t blame me”
    This is how I feel about Night Country

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series.
    That's because so many modern critics base their opinions on "tHE MeSsaGE" instead of storytelling devices, plot cohesiveness, acting quality, etc. Nowhere is this more evident than on Rotten Tomatoes where garbage movies that have a message they like will be like 100% fresh from the critics and 0% from the audience, with things they don't like getting the opposite treatment. Now when audiences AND critics agree something's fresh, then it's usually actually bound to pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That's because so many modern critics base their opinions on "tHE MeSsaGE" instead of storytelling devices, plot cohesiveness, acting quality, etc. Nowhere is this more evident than on Rotten Tomatoes where garbage movies that have a message they like will be like 100% fresh from the critics and 0% from the audience, with things they don't like getting the opposite treatment. Now when audiences AND critics agree something's fresh, then it's usually actually bound to pretty good.
    Ha! Renewed for 5th season!

Everything pales in comparison to True Detective season 1. I hope Severance doesn’t follow suit.

I’m rewatching season 1 of True Detective to clean my palate after the disappointment of season 4. There is more character depth, suspense, intrigue, and excellent acting in the first 20 minutes of episode1 than the whole season of Night Country. It’s not even close.

True Detective season 1 was so fucking good

Hello. This is a prepaid call from...BOB!

Just finished season 4 of true detective. So yeah... agreed with comments above. It was pretty bad. Fairly underwhelmed with Jodie Foster. Agent Starling has gotten kinda shitty in her older age.

Season 1 was one of the best things on TV. It's a bummer that none of the subsequent seasons have come even close to matching its level.

Class Action Park was a super funny documentary
    skid luxury

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales