Check Out Our Shop
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 183
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    True Detective: Night Country.
    A little bumpy and fantastical so far. I keep flashing on Fortitude and 30 Days of Night.
    Exactly my thoughts and feelings

    Plus throw in an number of shows recently that have highlighted the fate, futility & fatality of the indigenous

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,989
    Last night the kids (ages 6 and 8) and I watched Hayao Miyazaki's "Porco Rosso." I saw it back in the late 90s on VHS and a small TV, so was just in awe this time around with just how drop-dead gorgeous this film actually was. So many beautiful hand-painted backdrops. Kids got a bit of a quick history lesson about early fascist Italy, aviator culture and the Adriatic region. I absolutely adore the leisurely but even pacing of the movie. A nice break from the ADD style so many modern movies are prone to these days. Thankfully, I've been raising my little ones with the stuff I grew up with (like old school Mister Rogers) so they thoroughly enjoyed it and were never bored. They were BEGGING me not to pause it for the night as bedtime approached, so we finished it despite my better judgment. Haha. Highly, HIGHLY recommended for a family or solo viewing.


  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,262
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    True Detective: Night Country.
    A little bumpy and fantastical so far. I keep flashing on Fortitude and 30 Days of Night.
    I actually liked it. I don't disagree with your synopsis but the cast was strong enough to propel the story. The end was a bit meh, however.

    Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,010
    Yeah, it definitely grows on you. I would put it on the same level as season 1, maybe even better (different?) in some ways.
    Haven't watched the finale yet, but I always try to keep my expectations tamped down, as endings rarely do it right.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,989
    Continuing with HBO's Studio Ghibli offerings, I FINALLY got around to watching Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" from 2013. Another film with a fascinating view of early 1900s aviation, but this time more specifically Japan and the lead up to WWII. It is a somewhat fictionalized, fantastical biopic of the real life Jiro Horikoshi, the chief engineer for Mitsubishi that helped create the A5M Zero among many other iconic fighters of the war. As usual, the outspoken pacifist Miyazaki does a MASTERFUL job of showing foreign perspectives on very difficult topics that we don't often see. The gray areas so to speak. The real life Jiro Horikoshi was evidently none too stoked on his masterpieces being used as tools of war, and the film does a beautiful dance addressing that.

    It's a story of passion, of love, and is hands down one of THE most beautiful pieces of artwork I have ever seen in my entire life. The score was done by Joe Hisaishi, conducting the Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Orchestra himself, and that alone can bring one to tears. This one was nominated for a ton of awards, won a bunch, and now I see why. An absolute must-watch in my opinion.


  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,325
    I thought Night Country was a total complete disappointment. I was pretty hyped for the lead actors, the setting and premise, the showrunners and producers - all of it really. They had everything they needed to make this really great.

    I thought the plot was sloppy, the pacing was disjointed, the references to season 1 obvious and lazy, and the finale completely unsatisfying and frankly hard for me to imagine how they thought it was a good way to tie up the story. All of a sudden it’s a group of indigenous women who killed all the white men for wrecking the environment - that could have been a great plot if they didn’t just introduce these characters in the last 10 minutes of the final episode.

    My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series. Unclear how this could even be compared in the same sentence to season 1 IMHO. I’d put it on par with season 3.

    Pizzolato (the showrunner for season 1) called season 4 “so stupid” and said “I certainly did not have any input on this story - can’t blame me”

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    14,932
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I thought Night Country was a total complete disappointment. I was pretty hyped for the lead actors, the setting and premise, the showrunners and producers - all of it really. They had everything they needed to make this really great.

    I thought the plot was sloppy, the pacing was disjointed, the references to season 1 obvious and lazy, and the finale completely unsatisfying and frankly hard for me to imagine how they thought it was a good way to tie up the story. All of a sudden it’s a group of indigenous women who killed all the white men for wrecking the environment - that could have been a great plot if they didn’t just introduce these characters in the last 10 minutes of the final episode.

    My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series. Unclear how this could even be compared in the same sentence to season 1 IMHO. I’d put it on par with season 3.

    Pizzolato (the showrunner for season 1) called season 4 “so stupid” and said “I certainly did not have any input on this story - can’t blame me”
    This is how I feel about Night Country


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,989
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    My opinion seems to match the majority of viewers but is not in keeping with most professional critics who gave it positive reviews. Reading those reviews it’s like I watched a totally different series.
    That's because so many modern critics base their opinions on "tHE MeSsaGE" instead of storytelling devices, plot cohesiveness, acting quality, etc. Nowhere is this more evident than on Rotten Tomatoes where garbage movies that have a message they like will be like 100% fresh from the critics and 0% from the audience, with things they don't like getting the opposite treatment. Now when audiences AND critics agree something's fresh, then it's usually actually bound to pretty good.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,010
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    That's because so many modern critics base their opinions on "tHE MeSsaGE" instead of storytelling devices, plot cohesiveness, acting quality, etc. Nowhere is this more evident than on Rotten Tomatoes where garbage movies that have a message they like will be like 100% fresh from the critics and 0% from the audience, with things they don't like getting the opposite treatment. Now when audiences AND critics agree something's fresh, then it's usually actually bound to pretty good.
    Ha! Renewed for 5th season!

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,626
    Everything pales in comparison to True Detective season 1. I hope Severance doesn’t follow suit.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,325
    I’m rewatching season 1 of True Detective to clean my palate after the disappointment of season 4. There is more character depth, suspense, intrigue, and excellent acting in the first 20 minutes of episode1 than the whole season of Night Country. It’s not even close.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,539
    True Detective season 1 was so fucking good

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,523
    Hello. This is a prepaid call from...BOB!

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    14,014
    Just finished season 4 of true detective. So yeah... agreed with comments above. It was pretty bad. Fairly underwhelmed with Jodie Foster. Agent Starling has gotten kinda shitty in her older age.

    Season 1 was one of the best things on TV. It's a bummer that none of the subsequent seasons have come even close to matching its level.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    8,516
    Class Action Park was a super funny documentary
    skid luxury

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,221

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,523
    The Jinx part 2 first episode is great

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    5,853
    ^interested in that….

    Anyone else feel like HBO lost its mojo… I couldn’t make it through the first episode of The Regime. House of Dragon felt mailed in. The Idol was real bad. The new True Detective felt like some mid 90s cable garbage…

    Hopefully Sympathizer and Penguin are good, but not holding my breath.

    Seems like the prestige TV talent moved to Apple….


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    18,071
    Who could have guessed that multiple new business daddies, multiple rebrandings, and the worst app in the business would end up hurting the quality of their core product?
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-23-2024 at 09:13 PM.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    4,774
    Been an HBO fan for over 25 years always great stuff well except the past five years maybe a few random shows and that's it in those five years see this thread reminds me that I need to cancel

    Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    be here now
    Posts
    5,375
    Regime was shit
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Splat's Garage
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    ^interested in that….

    Anyone else feel like HBO lost its mojo… I couldn’t make it through the first episode of The Regime. House of Dragon felt mailed in. The Idol was real bad. The new True Detective felt like some mid 90s cable garbage…

    Hopefully Sympathizer and Penguin are good, but not holding my breath.

    Seems like the prestige TV talent moved to Apple….


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Agree with all of that. PLUS, now it's not even worth keeping to re-watch old shows since Netflix has been buying some of the HBO classics.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Agree with all of that. PLUS, now it's not even worth keeping to re-watch old shows since Netflix has been buying some of the HBO classics.
    https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jud...rs-1235950436/

    “I’m of two minds,” Apatow said. “There’s a part of me that’s an audience member: I’ll go back and rewatch ‘Deadwood’ or ‘NYPD Blue’ or any of the David Milch shows. I understand why people like the comfort food of television. But it’s a scary thing as a creator of television, because of all the streamers going, ‘Wait a second. We don’t need to spend $200 million on a new show. We can just bring back “Barnaby Jones.”‘ They’re going to do it, then you’ll get fewer new shows.”

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    9,525
    Barnaby Jones was pretty cool though

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,989
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    May have to reboot The MAX for this:

    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Anybody checked out SCAVENGERS REIGN ?

    If it’s half as bonkers as the original short film, I gotta imagine it’s really cool.

    Looks inspired, in part, by Fantastic Planet and Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind.
    Finally got around to this one and I really enjoyed it!... and apparently so did most the other viewers with an 8.7 on IMDB, and 100% critic/94% audience score on RT. Ended up blasting through the season pretty fast. Your Nausicaa ref is on point for sure. Have you watched it yet? I don't know what the hell's going with the suits over at Max, but they've been on a bit of a tirade lately, axing all sorts of good content while renewing tons of garbage. They apparently put the kibosh on the next season, but in an interesting twist of events, Netflix just picked the rights to the show, so looks like we should eventually get a chance to see what's in store for what's left of the crew of the Demeter! Season 1 concluded quite nicely IMO with juuust the right amount of cliffhanger. Where you're not left feeling frustrated but look forward to the next chapter. The creators did a great job with that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •