Check Out Our Shop
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 184
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    9,623
    Bill hader is a fucking genius. I’m trying to keep away from this thread as I’m still catching up so keep your spoilers out of the first sentence please

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On another tangent.
    Posts
    3,855
    White House Plumbers is worth a look and is a good laugh.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    low and inside
    Posts
    6,427
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    And that part where the Canadian Rockies were used as a backdrop for "10 miles west of Boston"? So sloppy. Or lazy. Thats really into wtf territory. I'm not sold and seems like the critics are so enamoured of the drama that they are giving the rest of the show a free pass.

    Bill's battle against the raiders was just plain dumb. He had an arsenal and fixed defensive positions. But he's shown dueling it out in the open with a deer rifle? He would have been shredded. That's lighting and visuals determining the plot. Embarrassingly bad.

    Just sayin', that fucked up my willing suspension of disbelief more than mushroom zombies that have no spores. Spores are too problematic for tv writing so let's just drop that key concept entirely...but lets still have fruiting bodies all over the place cuz that looks so fungusy. That's high concept bullshit, not the best tv show in years.

    Good show but it already has GIGANTIC plot holes after just three episodes so...yikes. The dramatic elements are solid but the sci-fi/world building is a bit wobbly, to say the least.

    Not looking forward to another HBO show that starts out as prestige TV and slowly fizzles as things that look cool take priority over things that make sense.

    HBO actually has a shit track record on these scifi/fantasy shows. GoT, Westworld, Raised by Wolves...all had better starts than finishes.
    i watched the in its weekly run. started intriguing and promising but it ultimately felt 2-dimensional and linear. but as all the hype boasts : it is based on a video game. always better source material than a novel or an original screenplay!

    the show held me as i waited for succession season 4 - which, unlike the prestige shows above - has excelled and intrigued throughout. the only other recent HBO offering that came close for me was white lotus.

    with just one last episode left, my pre-grieving the end of my favorite series ever will move into a full-on sense of loss!

    if you're gonna stream it, start from the top and pace yourself. the suspense from episode to episode is part of what's made the series what it is.

    and yes, white house plumbers is good, and may ease the pain a bit.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    5,581
    Barry finale felt pretty meh, other than NoHo Hank and co.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    i watched the in its weekly run. started intriguing and promising but it ultimately felt 2-dimensional and linear. but as all the hype boasts : it is based on a video game. always better source material than a novel or an original screenplay!

    the show held me as i waited for succession season 4 - which, unlike the prestige shows above - has excelled and intrigued throughout. the only other recent HBO offering that came close for me was white lotus.

    with just one last episode left, my pre-grieving the end of my favorite series ever will move into a full-on sense of loss!

    if you're gonna stream it, start from the top and pace yourself. the suspense from episode to episode is part of what's made the series what it is.

    and yes, white house plumbers is good, and may ease the pain a bit.
    Succession was brilliant I thought

    Will go down as one of the best TV shows of all time

    Liked Barry to the bitter sweet end

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    low and inside
    Posts
    6,427
    ^^ yea not quite sure what post-succession life will be like. yes, consistently excellent on so many levels. and yes agreed, one of the greatest tv shows ever.

    finally caught the series finale last night (2 days after airing) after getting home too late from the hill sunday and monday nites - and having avoided all the go-to recaps/analyses.

    interesting twist at end, in a sort of reprise of the season 1 board meeting.
    of course, given the arc of the story, this is the ending that had to happen.

    unlike the cathartic and emotional end sequence of six feet under - which actually had me getting very teary - succession's ending left me feeling a little empty and unsettled.. i'll chalk that up to empathy for the show's tragic siblings.
    Last edited by buckethead; 05-31-2023 at 10:47 AM.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    2,208
    Just finished my Succession binge over the past few weeks. I feel like we kept waiting for “why it’s so good?”….and why people were saying “it’s the best show ever on TV”.

    Reading thoughts on here, we are totally in the minority…we found it annoying….with the endless ridiculous dialogue and interactions between the characters/siblings to be insufferable.

    FWIW…I guess my wife and I both being only children/middle class suckers that live in a completely world….just didn’t get that this is how companies/business world operates?

    I’m glad it ended…(my wife is too…lol)

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    7,580
    It's a satirical comedy.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Just finished my Succession binge over the past few weeks. I feel like we kept waiting for “why it’s so good?”….and why people were saying “it’s the best show ever on TV”.

    Reading thoughts on here, we are totally in the minority…we found it annoying….with the endless ridiculous dialogue and interactions between the characters/siblings to be insufferable.

    FWIW…I guess my wife and I both being only children/middle class suckers that live in a completely world….just didn’t get that this is how companies/business world operates?

    I’m glad it ended…(my wife is too…lol)
    Can see that

    Sometimes binging gives you too much of a good thing too quickly

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    14,063
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Just finished my Succession binge over the past few weeks. I feel like we kept waiting for “why it’s so good?”….and why people were saying “it’s the best show ever on TV”.

    Reading thoughts on here, we are totally in the minority…we found it annoying….with the endless ridiculous dialogue and interactions between the characters/siblings to be insufferable.

    FWIW…I guess my wife and I both being only children/middle class suckers that live in a completely world….just didn’t get that this is how companies/business world operates?

    I’m glad it ended…(my wife is too…lol)
    Agreed. I made it about halfway through the first season.

    I didn't think it was bad, but it just never really grabbed me. I hated all the characters, which is kind of the point. But I didn't hate them enough that I was invested in the show just so I could watch them fail. So in the end, it's just a bunch of annoying people squabbling.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    18,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Barry finale felt pretty meh, other than NoHo Hank and co.
    It was different than I was expecting, but I liked it. The irony of Barry being turned into a hero because Cusino couldn't stop himself from killing him was hilarious. Would have liked to see a little more closure on Fuchs, and maybe a scene of Cusino's life in prison, probably ironically happy that everyone thinks he's a badass gangster rather than the chump he really is.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    shadow of HS butte
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It was different than I was expecting, but I liked it. The irony of Barry being turned into a hero because Cusino couldn't stop himself from killing him was hilarious. Would have liked to see a little more closure on Fuchs, and maybe a scene of Cusino's life in prison, probably ironically happy that everyone thinks he's a badass gangster rather than the chump he really is.
    Definitely wrapped up in a way I wasn’t expecting, but not disappointed one bit.

    I almost felt like they left the Fuchs story line open for a Better Call Sal style show, but pretty doubtful there.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Splat's Garage
    Posts
    4,217
    I just started season 2 of Righteous Gemstones.... pretty good! Danny McBride (aka Kenny Fuckin Powers) is so funny!

    Season 3 just started dropping episodes as well.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,055
    Been watching Idol. The Weekend is creepy as hell, he can’t be that good of an actor so he’s likely a creep in real life.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    8,952
    SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
    Surprisingly, this was the first Francois Truffaut film I ever watched.
    Based on the novel Down There by revered pulp/noir writer David Goodis (I have not read the book yet, but have read some other Goodis titles; he’s in the vein of Jim Thompson).
    Truffaut’s film is a very droll and existential noir teeming with coy dialogue and wonderful camera work, specifically Truffaut’s use of reflections in mirrors, windows, etc.
    Highly recommended.

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    8,952
    May have to reboot The MAX for this:

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed. I made it about halfway through the first season.

    I didn't think it was bad, but it just never really grabbed me. I hated all the characters, which is kind of the point. But I didn't hate them enough that I was invested in the show just so I could watch them fail. So in the end, it's just a bunch of annoying people squabbling.
    felt the same. not really bingable

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    4,348
    Watching Telemarketers on HBO. Absolutely amazing documentary, the unlikely protagonist of which (Pat Prespas) is simply one of the most likable, effective, and compelling documentarians of all time. Strongest, strongest recommendation.

    https://youtu.be/nKLveXWvb2s

    obligatory fuck the police, my god

    Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,005
    “Bookie” is great. LOL funny. Top 5 series to come out on any streaming service in a long time. A must see IMO.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,301
    I'm rewatching GoT. Goddamn that shit holds up.

    Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,055
    Barbie is out. Good movie

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    8,952
    Anybody checked out SCAVENGERS REIGN ?

    If it’s half as bonkers as the original short film, I gotta imagine it’s really cool.

    Looks inspired, in part, by Fantastic Planet and Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind.

    Here’s the original short:
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 01-14-2024 at 11:20 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    13,584
    Gilded age season 2 done.
    Good shit

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,067
    Belgravia S2 about to start! Not on HBO Max, however.

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,067
    True Detective: Night Country.
    A little bumpy and fantastical so far. I keep flashing on Fortitude and 30 Days of Night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •