Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Do uncrowded powder resorts still exist in North America?

We plan to retire in a few years and spend winters out West and have been researching places to buy a 2nd home. Over the past 5 years, we've averaged 6-8 weeks a year out West and have hit pretty much every large resort on Ikon, Epic and a few indys. We've definitely compiled a list of resorts and ski towns that could be nice on non-pow days, but the very thing that makes these resorts so popular (close proximity to airports or large cities, mega passes, hotel/shopping/food infrastructure at the base, etc), aren't high priorities for us and are the very thing that makes getting more than a handful of untracked runs difficult.

I've been spending time researching less crowded options as we debate and weigh the pros and cons of choosing a place that is somewhat in the middle of nowhere near a smaller, less popular mountain, vs a place with more amenities and accepting that when it dumps, we may only get a few untracked runs, vs a few days' worth of untracked runs. My son and I love powder so we'd gladly forgo the amenities, but my wife and daughter mainly ski groomers and enjoy the ski town vibe. I'd love to get some more information/recommendations for some resorts/towns to explore. We are also avid MTB and whitewater kayakers so proximity to those activities would be nice, but we live in the mecca for both of those so I imagine we'd still spend most of the Summer here. We'd likely buy a couple snowmobiles or snowbikes so good areas for that would be beneficial. Here are a few places on our radar:

Rossland (Red) and Nelson BC (Whitewater). I like the proximity to Spokane if we want to fly in at times. Is crossing the border quick/easy? I know Red is lower elevation and gets more rain and less snow that Whitewater but when it dumps at either of these, is it uncrowded enough that the powder lasts? They both seem to have a lot of side/back country but with my fused ankle, I'm somewhat limited on how much uphill I can do. How are these for the more intermediate groomer focused girls. I like that these aren't too far from the border but what other BC resorts/towns should we consider?

Sandpoint to Coeur d'Alene, ID (Schweitzer, 49*, Silver Mtn, etc). I've heard good things about some of these. I've also heard the snow can have higher moisture content. I grew up in Tahoe so are we talking similar snow or dryer on average? How crowded are these on powder days?

Bozeman (Bridger Bowl/Big Sky). Big Sky has a lot to offer everyone as the whole family has liked our time there but we haven't skied Bridger. Is it true that it is much less crowded on powder days?

Driggs, ID (Grand Targhee). This is an incredibly small town and fairly remote so I'm not sure how my wife would feel about living there as we've only driven through it a couple times (and don't remember it at all which probably says something). My family loves J Hole but we foolishly haven't spent any time at Grand Targhee. Other than being foggy, how does the powder hold up here? How crowded is it and is the mountain good enough to justify its location?

Pagosa Springs, CO (Wolf Creek). I've only skied there a couple days and it was several years ago but it was a fairly uncrowded powder day. Not a big mountain and not a lot of vert but the snow was good.

There are obviously pros and cons to any location so we are just trying to educate ourselves. I realize almost every activity is now more crowded post covid so it may be unrealistic to think that there is a a nice town to live in that has amazing terrain and snow that doesn't get skied out in a few minutes to hours. If we need to just accept that, then we can approach this differently and focus mainly on the town, and less on finding the hidden powder gem. Plan B could be getting a place in a town like Park City or Silverthorne (or other) as a basecamp and then building out a Sprinter/Transit that we can use to chase the powder since it's not that far to UT, WY, ID, MT and CO. Thanks!

Wamsutter Wyoming. The next big thing. You heard it here first.

Driggs is on my radar as well. Tons of snow in the Tetons already. Didn't make it up to the ski area (too busy working) but really enjoyed the low key scene in town. Got a real person vibe from the area. Not all the glitz and glam I've seen in CO or other notable ski towns out West.

Bringing the truck and skis back in a few weeks.

Penticton has Apex which gets less than big white, but its part of the same weather pattern and when it dumps its the driest you will find anywhere and still nobody shows up. Shorter vertical but the fall line is immaculate and you can lap fresh turns (with an express lift) till the legs fall off. Youre close to rossland (and the aforementioned) as well.

Rocky Mountain Trench towns gets you Pano and kicking and kimberly and fernie.

Pretend that Pincher Creek doesn’t exist because I'm keeping that for myself.

If it ever gets off the ground, however, I'm moving to Valemount.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Penticton has Apex which gets less than big white, but its part of the same weather pattern and when it dumps its the driest you will find anywhere and still nobody shows up. Shorter vertical but the fall line is immaculate and you can lap fresh turns (with an express lift) till the legs fall off. Youre close to rossland (and the aforementioned) as well.

Rocky Mountain Trench towns gets you Pano and kicking and kimberly and fernie.

Pretend that Pincher Creek doesn’t exist because I'm keeping that for myself.

If it ever gets off the ground, however, I'm moving to Valemount.
    Never saw big crowds at Powder King.

Schweitzer is where it’s at. Just voted top 10 resorts in the us. Beating out alta and others. Tons of fresh snow and no lift lines. Great terrain as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Schweitzer is where it’s at. Just voted top 10 resorts in the us. Beating out alta and others. Tons of fresh snow and no lift lines. Great terrain as well.

Haha not for long

Quote Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
    Bozeman (Bridger Bowl/Big Sky). Big Sky has a lot to offer everyone as the whole family has liked our time there but we haven't skied Bridger. Is it true that it is much less crowded on powder days?
    Yes it's true. Bridger is a freaking ghost town on powder days because hardly anybody in Bozeman skis. Great market for affordable second homes too because nobody wants to live there. Definitely keep Bozeman at the top of your list. Good luck!

Is this a troll? Do you really expect people to tell you where to live for untracked lift served skiing?

If serious, it sounds like you have money. Why don’t you stay where you are and take a bunch of cat and heli trips every winter.

OP,
    are you a deep embed bot?
    or just bored out of your mind?
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    OP,
    are you a deep embed bot?
    or just bored out of your mind?

I think this is a chatgpt output

So I just spent 20 mins looking in the fridge for the double ipa and the charcuterie plate I bought at Walmart must have drank the ipa yesterday afternoon and the plate was right in front of me

This mythical place exists but finding the keys to the city is almost impossible these days my ex wife liked deep powder too but she mostly snorted ot off the toilet tank top at shamus otooles

Every goober has a hard on for this mythical ski area a perfect town with no doosh bags every one skis on the lift with no waiting in line and the pow pow is balls deep every run

When the ski day is done you ski into town walk across the street and sit down at your favorite bar everyone knows your fucking name and a 6ft tall Scandinavian godess with perfect tits has your drink ready within seconds

Real estate is cheep everyone owns a pimp sprinter and vacations in the desert riding an e mtn bike like a boss they destroy the rivers like a whore on Colfax at sunset with a fresh bag of meth

I for one know I'm sitting in the desert as dick wads of front rangers pretend to get the goods meanwhile they missed it cause it happened on Tuesday not Saturday my overlanding ball cap my Patagonia puffy and by baller guides chice glasses been smoking weed since I got up

Keep dreaming bro but hey I do own a house 10 mins from the lift got 1.5 Oz of park county kind bud on tap and been drinking since three let me tell you a story about life 30 years ago I think it might fit what your looking to buy into

Plan B could be getting a place in a town like Park City or Silverthorne (or other) as a basecamp and then building out a Sprinter/Transit that we can use to chase the powder since it's not that far to UT, WY, ID, MT and CO.
    With a second mountain home AND a Sprinter van, you should be welcomed with open arms anywhere you decide to become a local.

Whitefish? Not far to Fernie, other powder hiway stuff. MTB, fishing, rafting.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    When the ski day is done you ski into town walk across the street and sit down at your favorite bar everyone knows your fucking name and a 6ft tall Scandinavian goddess with perfect tits has your drink ready within seconds
    we can dream
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Rutland, VT. Kidding.

Is anywhere not crowded anymore? 8 billion people in this world now. Stop having so many babies.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

OP gets the troll of the week award

new yorkers pimping whitefish
    missoulians pimping VT

this is getting good!

//
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Uncrowded powder ski areas exist.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Not sure, don’t think anyone answered seriously. Lol

Move somewhere for skiing/ women/ booze/ drugs/ paddling/ biking in no particular order

but you probably wana see if you actulay like living there and a real town might be > a ski town
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Does Outside magazine have a forum? I'm sure they'll have exactly the info OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    First question to OP is where is "mecca"?

Plan B could be getting a place in a town like Park City or Silverthorne (or other) as a basecamp and then building out a Sprinter/Transit that we can use to chase the powder since it's not that far to UT
    This is the clear answer. Get a cheap place in Park City and #vanlife commute to Deer Valley.