Fly rod condom is stupid.

W.
    T.
    F.
    I’ve fly fished for 1 million years and it never occurred to me that I needed to put a sock on my fly rods, (and I stuff them rigged through the ski pass through in my car every time I fish), or stuff it in the rental somewhere.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670707868.033048.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	437727
    Name:  Image1670707968.610867.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  256.2 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Meh, every other car in Bozeman has one of those fly rod carriers bolted to the roof somehow. The guys who thought that up made a mint so why not this?

I would not buy one but that's cause I am cheap, my custom truck mounted fly rod carrier is 9' of schedule 40 that I picked up on a job site.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I don’t run them on a fly rod but when in my rod locker or transporting them in the bed of my truck to go fish in a buddies boat, all my gear rods have socks. Keeps them for getting tangled in a locker loaded with 20+ rigs and keeps them safer in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I don’t run them on a fly rod but when in my rod locker or transporting them in the bed of my truck to go fish in a buddies boat, all my gear rods have socks. Keeps them for getting tangled in a locker loaded with 20+ rigs and keeps them safer in the bed.

Yes. Versions of those have been around for 25 years or more. The tangles are a pia, but a little nick from a sharp hook can be lethal to an expensive rod.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    This. And rods get beat to shit in certain rod vaults, so these are the accessory to the accessory.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Fly rod condom is stupid.

Any hard sided rod tube I ever owned came with a cloth bag for the rod, so I don’t see how this is a whole lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Any hard sided rod tube I ever owned came with a cloth bag for the rod, so I don’t see how this is a whole lot different.
    Because these are for fully rigged rods. If you guide, rod lockers are one of the greatest investments you can make. The time savings really adds up.

But if you aren't responsible for rigging and breaking down four rods day after day, all season long, then a rod locker is a sure sign that you take yourself and your fishing way, way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Because these are for fully rigged rods.
    Do fully rigged rods have magical properties that means they can’t be damaged without protection? If I use a sock in a storage tube, why not use one in a roof rack or when slipping it in the back of your SUV?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Do fully rigged rods have magical properties that means they can’t be damaged without protection? If I use a sock in a storage tube, why not use one in a roof rack or when slipping it in the back of your SUV?
    No. The point I was making is 95% of us could do just fine by safely transporting their rods in their original cases.

You see, once upon a time, I worked in a fly shop and I have already heard every dubious explanation for how a rod got damaged due to no fault of the customer.

Used these for years to keep rods from tangling in boats, work awesome.

I use one on my 1-piece musky rod. Works great.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

There is no product out there that can keep me from breaking rods. I might try something like this though.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    There is no product out there that can keep me from breaking rods. I might try something like this though.

I quit tarpon fishing and that helped.

Been making these rod condoms myself with the same finger trap material used for audio visual wires. Keeps cost down to a couple bucks per sock. I always used to get abrasion on the rod near the guides, now no more. Helpful if you want to resell on fleabay, pics look minty

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.