Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Patagonnia issues a cease and desist order to a small NB craft brewer

who owns the name Patagonnia ?

Apparently not a small craft brew in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2137466435851

a small craft beer maker is issued a cease and desist order by the clothing giant
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dang. What a bunch of humorless Dooshes. Had the clothing company sued Argentina yet? That's probably next.

On a related note, Picaroons in Fredericton, NB, had a beer a few years ago that I liked called Dark and Stormy Night. When I went back months later, they didn't have it. I asked and the lady got all weird and in hushed tones said here try this, handing me a sample. I said it tasted just like Dark and Stormy Night. She gave me a very dirty look and said I couldn't say that in the store. It was now called DSN. So, in my usual clueless manner I said, out loud of course, oh that stands for Dark and Stormy Night. She looked like she wanted to kill me. They didnt have it by any name when I was there last June.

To be fair, I would imagine the URL for ‘Patagonnia’ is still available.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

To be fair...

I see hydraulic turtles.

To be fair, that went on a scoche too long.

Probably related to the fact that clothing patagonia also has branded beer https://www.patagoniaprovisions.com/pages/why-beer

maybe 6 yars ago pre-covid the GF was running the most happening yoga studio in town when she got a cease & desist letter over her use of the term " stiff guy" for stiff guy yoga, a class which might draw 8 guys who need a good stretch on a monday night

you can't make this shit up eh

so she shot some nasty emails back to the sender a yoga practising corporate lawyer in vangrooy who had trademarked " stiff guy "and also a copy to her BIL the lawyer and he said yeah its trademarked so unless you are really enamored with the stiff guy thing maybe you wana stop using the name ?

so she changed the name of that one class with 8 guys tops to " manyoga " which should roll off your tongue all in one word, which was my idea, she was gona hold a contest for the new name but he decided she like " manyoga " and besides ... she didnt have to pay me

Manyoga isnt tradmarked and if there is another infringment we could always just change it to WTF eh

but if you are still getting the stiffees it may be a trademark infringement so cease and desist eh

I just quickly scanned that ^msg and I got: gf, stiff guy, 8 guys, nasty, manyoga, stiffies and pay me.

Sounds like a party! Maybe I'll read it more carefully.

All I read was “stiff guy, man yogurt”

Fookingcunts

Patagucchi is the new Specalized

Change name to C&D
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    in Fredericton
    Nice! Great city, lots of uncrowded mountain biking near by.

This has been coming for years, I don't think anyone local is surprised by it.

Gotta use state media to stir up the yank hating!

interesting difference in coverage
    https://www.canadianbeernews.com/202...lagship-beers/

naming the beer Patagonia with a picture of Fitzroy? On the can would be a bit far along

The nasty liberals are shutting down a hard working brewery!

Small wonder i dont go into polyass.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    maybe 6 yars ago pre-covid the GF was running the most happening yoga studio in town when she got a cease & desist letter over her use of the term " stiff guy" for stiff guy yoga, a class which might draw 8 guys who need a good stretch on a monday night

you can't make this shit up eh

so she shot some nasty emails back to the sender a yoga practising corporate lawyer in vangrooy who had trademarked " stiff guy "and also a copy to her BIL the lawyer and he said yeah its trademarked so unless you are really enamored with the stiff guy thing maybe you wana stop using the name ?

so she changed the name of that one class with 8 guys tops to " manyoga " which should roll off your tongue all in one word, which was my idea, she was gona hold a contest for the new name but he decided she like " manyoga " and besides ... she didnt have to pay me

Manyoga isnt tradmarked and if there is another infringment we could always just change it to WTF eh

but if you are still getting the stiffees it may be a trademark infringement so cease and desist eh
    Here for the gang bang
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    Nice! Great city, lots of uncrowded mountain biking near by.

This has been coming for years, I don't think anyone local is surprised by it.
    I just want more Dark and Stormy Night. I love the Picaroons pub conveniently located by the north end of the walking bridge. Sadly I don't have any reason to go back to Fredericton any time soon. My kid finished 4 yrs of BA plus one year of BA Ed. He'll possibly end up in the Ottowa area, which is much closer to me in VT.

Dumbass move to name a beer Patagonia anything.

This whole thing seems like a non-story. I don't see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Dang. What a bunch of humorless Dooshes. Had the clothing company sued Argentina yet? That's probably next.
    Pre-coffee audible laughter... a rarity for me. Thank you Riser.

Maybe this thread is the answer: rename the beer to Patagonnia. Or Patagonnnia.

Eh, if Patagonia didn't sell beer this would be worthy of a pitchfork, but they actually sell branded beer (news to me, but I guess they do), and it is the exact product in question, and (I presume) have a trademark that predates this usage in commerce. Very different than backcountry. If backcountry.com had gone after an etailer named backcountrygear.com that started a year ago, there would have been very little uproar.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Eh, if Patagonia didn't sell beer this would be worthy of a pitchfork, but they actually sell beer -- the product in question -- and (I presume) have a trademark that predates this usage in commerce. Very different than backcountry. If backcountry.com had gone after an etailer named backcountrygear.com there would have been very little uproar.
    To be fair, I had no idea there was a Patagucci branded beer.

If you google around a bit it looks like its not the first time Patagonia beer has been in court

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co.../Patagonia.pdf

If you google around a bit it looks like its not the first time Patagonia beer has been in court

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co.../Patagonia.pdf

so who owns a name or a word is the question ?

hopefully the small operator can just change or cease & desist using a name

Companies have to defend their trademarks or they become unenforceable. So it’s a catch-22. Either take a PR hit for fighting the “little craft breweries” and the line when they pop up, or end up on a path to losing the enforcement of your name.

I don’t get the sense they have gone full backcountry yet.