Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rode 2015 SFBs up until this year. Bought some Mfree108s on super sale. Gonna see how those fair as my DD.

There is a very strong bias toward +/- 105mm skis in this thread.

I'm skiing the 4FRNT Devastator (184, old heavy build, mounted -1 from line) most days at Snoqualmie/alpy.

It does a lot of things well in a lot of conditions and terrain, and it's so consistent and predictable. Tip your ankles at any speed to turn, you can drive the tips or ski centered, you can even drive from the backseat if you get bucked.

If it's bottomless I'll grab the JJs or MBs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thanks all, good stuff so far. Keep ‘em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    There is a very strong bias toward +/- 105mm skis in this thread.
    Noting this as well, especially as the resort DD I’m considering swapping out is 96

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    thanks all, good stuff so far. Keep ‘em coming.

Noting this as well, especially as the resort DD I’m considering swapping out is 96
    Reason for me is that at my hill it stays soft for quite a while and we can get out the gates for freshies for a long time after a dump.
    Realistically with my quiver I don’t truly have a DD. I grab what I think will ski the best that day. Sometimes I win, sometimes I win on 75% of the hill…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Resort:
    M free 108. Precise and strong right up until you need it to be loose and forgiving, then it does that. Enough weight to carry through the crap

Touring:
    ON3P Billygoat 110 tour. Shape works great for a wide range of soft snow conditions, enough confidence when they aren’t soft. A lot of skis could go here though.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    the PNW gets a lot of snow, pretty consistently. And this region has a very noticable lack of grooming (if you come from UT/CO/CA or EC). So, it makes sense to pick a DD that leans toward 3" days, mashed potatoes, and chop/crud off piste. A sub 100 ski would be great to have in the quiver as we do get a good amount of icy and crust days as well, but those conditions generally really suck and im less inclined to ski then than i am on shitty days with atleast softish snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    Prior Husume. Plenty of backbone, incredible float for a 109mm ski and handles crud and chop with ease.

However, have a M102 and BG in the quiver as well
    This is a ski that doesn’t get much attention. I bought a pair from Seatown Slackey here. They really are amazing skis, great float, stiff, damp and loose once up to speed. I call mine “Skinny Goats”. My go to touring ski now.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    the PNW gets a lot of snow, pretty consistently. And this region has a very noticable lack of grooming (if you come from UT/CO/CA or EC). So, it makes sense to pick a DD that leans toward 3" days, mashed potatoes, and chop/crud off piste. A sub 100 ski would be great to have in the quiver as we do get a good amount of icy and crust days as well, but those conditions generally really suck and im less inclined to ski then than i am on shitty days with atleast softish snow.
    This is your experience at WA passes in the Cascades. PNW is a larger region. There’s plenty of grooming, dry snow and wind buff away from the passes

I ski an old pair of Nordica Enforcers, no tip rise, traditional camber, two sheets of metal, and a 17m turn radius as my daily at Bachelor. But, I’m also quick to switch to a quiver ski when things get soft and deep, Dynastar Legend x106. Still pretty stiff, but a bit wider and with a little tip rocker. Pontoons when it’s deep.

PNW Mags: What's your daily driver?

Historically it’s been a Nordica Enforcer 104 Free and/or Rustler 11. Both of those are gone.

This year the Nordica Unleashed 108 will likely be my DD.

Also spent a lot of time inbounds skiing the 4FRNT Raven 104 last year. I find the Raven the best ski in shit snow (which we had a lot of last season). And I don’t mind rocker on ice. YMMV.

KC

Last edited by kc_7777; 12-09-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This is your experience at WA passes in the Cascades. PNW is a larger region. There’s plenty of grooming, dry snow and wind buff away from the passes

With the exception of Mission, i would describe pretty much any ski area east of the cascades as in the Inland Northwest. And i dont think thats semantics... so says the bigass sign that always greeted me outside the Spokane airport.

I prefer a nice midfat for windbuff FWIW.

Before my quiver ballooned, ON3P Woodsman 108 50/50. Still the go-to if I were only to take one pair of skis somewhere, but its versatile with enough bulk to push through Cascade crud and tours well enough and can handle some resort duties with the kingpins. Love the 50/50 so I don't have to worry if that rock I skied over went down to the core.

I have always had a narrower ski in the quiver, but if DD means "ski that I ski more than 50%" of the time - Billygoat. As long as it's kinda soft, it's the ski to be on. And it's usually kinda soft in the NW.

With the exception of Mission, i would describe pretty much any ski area east of the cascades as in the Inland Northwest. And i dont think thats semantics... so says the bigass sign that always greeted me outside the Spokane airport.

I prefer a nice midfat for windbuff FWIW.
    You can move your goalposts all you want, the conventional definition of PNW is WA, OR, ID part of NW CA and Lower coastal BC.

You can move your goalposts all you want, the conventional definition of PNW is WA, OR, ID part of NW CA and Lower coastal BC.

I didnt move them. The great City of Spokane did. You're beef is with them, not me.

Name:  3b0b040453c7c8cad7f19db33d07c488.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  53.1 KB

I didnt move them. The great City of Spokane did. You're beef is with them, not me.

Name:  3b0b040453c7c8cad7f19db33d07c488.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  53.1 KB
    The city of Spokane is in the inland NW, part of the PNW.

MFree 108 is pert goot
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Norseman; 12-09-2022 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Fucked up and attached wrong pic

Let's not turn this into a where's upstate NY thread.

As a lifelong Spokane citizen, I agree with this summation.

Keep in mind that this distinction of what the PNW is, isn't only applicable to skiing. It's a branding distinction with the INW being a subset. It's been like this for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Let's not turn this into a where's upstate NY thread.
    No chit, lol!

Yup

Hopefully my new Jeffrey 110’s. I’ll know more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    Hopefully my new
    My first day on new QST 106 with DD as the aim.

Pretty damn pleased with them so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Good buddy of mine has a side business selling authentic pnw dog sticks to folks around the world. I’m sure they don’t give a fuck where the pnw is, all they care about is buying authentic, healthy and all natural pnw dog toys. He just brakes branches off roadside trees in our mtb shuttle zones, lol…

No shit, he makes ~$15k a year at $20 a bundle. “From the Gifford Pinchot National Forest”

Viva la pnw!

https://www.amazon.com/Callies-Stick.../dp/B0942YBJPW

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Good buddy of mine has a side business selling authentic pnw dog sticks to folks around the world. I’m sure they don’t give a fuck where the pnw is, all they care about is buying authentic, healthy and all natural pnw dog toys. He just brakes branches off roadside trees in our mtb shuttle zones, lol…

No shit, he makes ~$15k a year at $20 a bundle. “From the Gifford Pinchot National Forest”

Viva la pnw!

https://www.amazon.com/Callies-Stick.../dp/B0942YBJPW

Oh my god.

Hahahaha.

Why didn’t I think of this.