Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PNW Mags: What's your daily driver?

Have felt pretty dialed with my quiver for awhile, but getting bored of my DD.
    Lots of threads out there re: I'm ____ and I want ____, what should I get?

I'd rather approach this a bit different. I wanna know for all you that often ski funky, roughed up, high moisture content snow:
    1. What's your daily driver?
    2. In 2 sentences or less, why? (Elaborate if you wish, but trying to keep it simple.)

TIA...

1. g3 findr 94

2. mostly tour, weight is right, width/stiffness do most things here enjoyably, i dont charge hard enough to need anything heavier for PNW conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Current daily driver: Dynastar MFree 108
    -Extremely versatile ski that floats on fresh, carves well and can be driven pretty hard.

1. ON3P Woodsman 102

2. Pros: ON3P crushes heavy wet pow, immune to core shots, has very good float for its width, and just all around good ski for any soft conditions. On the 102 because I bought used, otherwise would be on the 110.

3. Cons: groomer initiation still isn't quite right, might be the tune but there's something not quite dialed about firmer snow performance, bases are slow on cat tracks.

Mfree 108. Stiff and pivoty enough for mank, floaty enough for pow, backbone enough for February

^^^ I’m not huge into fan boy-isms but the mfree 108 hype is real.

East of the divide:

Mfree 108 — well above average in every condition (this is not an exaggeration).

One condition where they do not excel. Going Mach chicken through heavier pow that is deeper than boot top. You can feel the pow catch your boot. They motor through just fine… but a wider ski in this use case helps smooth the ride.

Dynastar MF108
    "Let's be careful out there."

Dynastar M Pro 99.

Great directional ski, solid and damp with a good radius for typical resort skiing at Schweitzer. Also have M Pro 90 as DD for Mt Spokane which lacks the snow of Schweitzer. In the Cascades, I'd go 99.

None currently.

Park: frankenski 182
    Storm chasing: 191 BG, 192 bent chet
    Tour: deathwish 190 tour
    Deep: SGN urrakkar

If I were trying to fill that spot (which I sort of am), toss up between:

Jeffrey 110 186
    Deathwish 190

Out here in the PNW, I like fatter dd - I think it deals with the cascade cement better

East coast, I’d want a Jeff 102, wildcat 101 or dw104.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Praxis FRD on most days,
    Praxis Ullr on Deep days
    Jones Flagship 169W on the real deep surfy days.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Dynastar M Pro 99.

Great directional ski, solid and damp with a good radius for typical resort skiing at Schweitzer. Also have M Pro 90 as DD for Mt Spokane which lacks the snow of Schweitzer. In the Cascades, I'd go 99.
    What do you think of the M pro 90?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter what you choose, just be sure to spray it down with rainx each day before heading out

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    What do you think of the M pro 90?

They're a little more jittery than the 99 in crud, not as heavy but a good groomer ski and decent in 8" of new. 99 is definitely a more solid ski but I like the 90 for what I use it for.

Mfree 108. Only downfall is it doesn’t charge…….

Resort DD: 192 Praxis GPO mounted -1.5cm
    Reason: they are the greatest skis ever in any type of soft snow. Fast, stable, great in trees, great in open spaces, enough float on a true powder day and still quick when there's only 2". Amazing enough that I bought a second set. Caveat: if it's just icy groomers I do other activities for the most part, but GPOs carve groomers remarkably well too.

The M Free 108 has a remarkably similar shape, I wonder how similar they ski?

In the resort? 4FRNT MSP 107.

My main reason is that it’s just fun to ski. It floats well if it is soft, and is light and nimble for dealing with bumps and trees. It’s heavy and damp enough for me to get through days old chop as needed and I can still edge them on the groomers.

I used to pretty much always reach for a ski with metal but I’m rarely opening it up and blasting chop when conditions aren’t great. Most days it’s bumps and trees searching for soft snow with some groomers mixed in. The MSP 107 makes that fun rather than work.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    They're a little more jittery than the 99 in crud, not as heavy but a good groomer ski and decent in 8" of new. 99 is definitely a more solid ski but I like the 90 for what I use it for.
    Thanks, the reason I ask is I have some and haven't made up my mind on them yet. I was a little disappointed at the weight (lack of) and aren't quite as solid as I would have liked.

I’m on the Cochise 106.

Just enough backbone and weight to be “chargy” but still easy to throw around in tight spaces and ski those mank bumps we get.

There are better skis for groomers, but we don’t have groomers worthy of better skis in Western washington.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Dw104 took over dd duties last season. Great low tide ski and plenty of fun with a few inches. Then the Billy goats take over for anything more.

Prior Husume. Plenty of backbone, incredible float for a 109mm ski and handles crud and chop with ease.

However, have a M102 and BG in the quiver as well

Blizzard Bonafide 97 or Stöckli Stormrider 95. Love 'em both until it snows more than 6" . . . then Rustler 11.

M102 (184) when it’s firm and MF108 (192) when it’s dreamy.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Resort - Jeffery 108. Poppy, playful, and has a backbone. Does well mobbing through chop. I felt like it could do a little better on groomers but that could be the tune.

Tour - Deathwish tour. Handles all types of snow well, fun, playful, more grip than a 112 ski should have

Disclaimer, got bored and sold the jeff108 and bought a mfree108 to see what the hype is all about. I've had 1 spring day so far and had a blast but too soon to give a review.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Resort DD: 192 Praxis GPO mounted -1.5cm
    Reason: they are the greatest skis ever in any type of soft snow. Fast, stable, great in trees, great in open spaces, enough float on a true powder day and still quick when there's only 2". Amazing enough that I bought a second set. Caveat: if it's just icy groomers I do other activities for the most part, but GPOs carve groomers remarkably well too.

The M Free 108 has a remarkably similar shape, I wonder how similar they ski?
    The GPO was my DD for a few years. Last year I spent a couple of days riding the MFree 108 and the GPO back to back. The on snow feel of the skis is really similar (my GPO was MAP core, flex 4). The GPO skis a little looser than the MFree and it isn’t as powerful on edge. The Dynastar feels like is skis slightly longer than the GPO and it is a way more powerful carver. The GPO holds an edge just fine but the MFree feels like it was made and designed in Europe where carving is king.

After riding the skis back to back I decided to sell the GPO because it didn’t offer a unique enough ride to justify keeping it in the quiver. I have other skis in the 116 range that I prefer in deeper snow (SuperGoat, Praxis Lhasa Fat), narrower skis that I prefer to ride when it’s soft but there’s no new snow (MFree 108, Pro Rider) and skis for when things firm up (Legend x88). The GPO is a Jack of all Traits and if my quiver was smaller it would still definitely still have its place there.