Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flat light goggles

Is there any consensus on what the best lenses are for flat light? So many choices. Brand agnostic, lets hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is there any consensus on what the best lenses are for flat light? So many choices. Brand agnostic, lets hear it.
    Rose... And it makes the greens really pop on a sunny day.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Isn't light transmission key to this discussion?

Have a fully hydrated urine colored knock-off lens @ 85% transmissivity coming soon, will report back after testing. So far clear and my rose lenses suck for these old eyes which are losing depth perception.

HI yellow or HI blue used to be the call. Oakley or Smith. Now I think it’s a matter of whatever frame you already have. No need to overthink this stuff in 2022.

I don’t disagree with rose. But my last rose lens was in 2001.

Some days I even prefer my clear night lens during storms. Like— fuck it— let’s stop trying to see through a magic lens and let’s just look out the window at what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Rose... And it makes the greens really pop on a sunny day.

+ 1 for rose lenses.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Isn't light transmission key to this discussion?

Have a fully hydrated urine colored knock-off lens @ 85% transmissivity coming soon, will report back after testing. So far clear and my rose lenses suck for these old eyes which are losing depth perception.
    Depth perception with aging eyes is my issue. I haven’t noticed it in the bc the last few seasons because the sow surface is usually consistent, but resort skiing flat light days is really throwing me off.

I was hoping for specific names of lenses, I haven’t kept up on the tech and the chromahappyprizmspherical is all unknown. And no way am I spending $400 on goggles, lens must exist in the lower reaches of the brand.

Depth perception with aging eyes is my issue. I haven’t noticed it in the bc the last few seasons because the sow surface is usually consistent, but resort skiing flat light days is really throwing me off.

I was hoping for specific names of lenses, I haven’t kept up on the tech and the chromahappyprizmspherical is all unknown. And no way am I spending $400 on goggles, lens must exist in the lower reaches of the brand.
    Not that this helps, but I asked for Glade Optics photochromatic for Xmas... First time trying that tech in a long time--hope it's gotten better.

Smith Storm Rose has great contrast

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

This is my experience too. I like it better than their storm yellow which has a higher light transmissivity.

Being able to see well is something i will spend money on, and i keep coming back to storm rose smith lenses.

Yep. The storm rose has been my go to for a long time. Low light lenses also depend on eye color and how sensitive they are to light. The only time I can even think about running a yellow lens is when it’s really dark out, even then I tend to get better contrast from a rose tint.
    I now run the Storm Rose Flash for low light conditions on the Smith 4d mag. For me it’s the best lens I’ve used.
    OP you just missed a killer goggle quiver set up in gs with several lenses. There are some older smiths on ebay for reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Some days I even prefer my clear night lens during storms. Like— fuck it— let’s stop trying to see through a magic lens and let’s just look out the window at what we have.
    Same. By its very nature a tinted lens will filter out light that I would rather use to see on a storm day. I'm a bit color challenged though, could have something to do with it.

Oakley Rose Prizm lenses have been my favorite since they came out, but can't honestly compare to anything from other brands as I've been hooked on crowbars (RIP). Much better than the high intensity blue/yellow lens for low/flat light conditions, and also much more versatile in that you're not gonna burn out your retinas if the sky clears out and gets sunny like I've found with Oakley's blue/yellow lens.

I think this is part of the problem with getting advice about this on the internet - everyone's eyes are a bit different. And even an individual's eyes change over time. Lenses that worked pretty well for me 10 years ago don't work at all anymore. And I've had very mixed results trying the favorite lenses of various friends and some of the TGR favorites. Just because a lens works well for someone else doesn't mean it'll work well for your eyes. You kinda just have to guess and check until you find something that works (which ends up being an annoyingly expensive proposition).

Currently a Smith chromapop storm rose is working well for me. If you look around, you can find the Vice goggles with that lens for less than $100. Previously, I was running the cheap outdoormaster Amazon goggles (which I actually prefer to the Smiths, but as my eyes changed, their lenses didn't work quite as well for me). For low light days I preferred the "clear blue" lens, but I also had ok luck with the "clear green," which is really more like a yellow. Upside of those is that they're cheap, so you can experiment without taking out a 2nd mortgage.

Anther fan of smith storm lenses. I am currently wearing storm yellow but really like storm rose as well. I think I like the storm yellow more but they're both great choices. Almost all of the crew I ski with wear one of the 2 at schwitzer where its usually low light conditions.

Used various iterations of Persimmon for...ever, and was happy. Switched to Oakley's Prizm Hi-Pink (in a Line Miner) a few years ago; pink is a personal choice, but they're really good on storm/flat light/ping pong ball days. Use em for the majority of days, unless it's bright as. Another option to research.

Chromapop yellow storm are the best I have used.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It's difficult to get good cloudy-day tints these days, because goggles are entirely designed to have chrome lenses that look good in the lift line instead of enhancing your vision.

A light rose is the best tint IMO. Brown is second place. The best cloudy day lenses I know of that are still made are the non-mirrored Scott Illuminators that are basically rose. They only come on the cheapest products like the Muse and Factor: everything else gets "illuminator blue chrome" or some other bunk. A lot of goggle makers used to do rose tints, but they've apparently fallen out of fashion.

Lenses that suck in flat light:
    Anything with no tint at all.
    Bright yellow. You'd think it would help, but in my experience, those 60%+ yellow lenses just blind you. Cloudy days are bright, the light is just flat.
    Bright blue. Makes your eyes hurt because cloudy day light is so bluish.

A slight blue tint, the kind you usually get out of red mirrored lenses, is surprisingly OK. You'd think it would be terrible, but it's better than a lot of other tints I've tried. Rose is still the best, though.

Flat light goggles

Goggles are like assholes, we all have one.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think this is part of the problem with getting advice about this on the internet - everyone's eyes are a bit different. And even an individual's eyes change over time. Lenses that worked pretty well for me 10 years ago don't work at all anymore. And I've had very mixed results trying the favorite lenses of various friends and some of the TGR favorites. Just because a lens works well for someone else doesn't mean it'll work well for your eyes.
    This thread is definitely providing evidence to support your theory.

Whitefish is mega foggy 90% of the time, ChromaPop Storm Blue Sensor s are the ones for me. I've tried a lot of them. I also have the Storm Yellows that also work well but are a no go when the sun pokes through.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

This is what works best for me, too.

Flat light goggles

I like Smith rose and Oakley Prizm, but last season I used Julbo Aerospace w/ reactiv 1-3. I used the reactiv, (photochromatic), lens for cycling, and am sold. I kinda forget about them, they work so well.
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-05-2022 at 08:22 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Lotta votes for the rose. I’ve been a smith guy forever. The yellow will burn my retinas if the sun even thinks of coming out. For my eyes, the ignitor mirror has been great for flat light, it really makes the contours pop for me, so much more than the rose. Where I primarily ski the light is almost always flat. But like someone else said, goggles are like assholes. Or something like that.

I'm also contenting w a corrective lens (clear) made by Sports Rx which sits btwn the stock lens and my face. And my comments above are directed at storm conditions, not exclusively flat light. My DD are an Oakley rose. This is the storm lens I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ODS2 prescription insert from Smith is great, pretty reasonable price wise.