Ski similar to Llasha POW 186

I have my favorite set of skis the Llasha POW 186. I know they are not made anymore. Looking for a similar ski in todays market. Any help is appreciated
    Thanks so much
    Chris

Heritage Lab 113

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Heritage Lab 113

Beat me to it.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

I’m tempted by the C113 but my wallet says no. I’m thinking it would be really similar to my hybrid 191 Llahsa

I’m hoping so

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Interesting you guys are suggesting the H 113. They are a completely different shape than the 186 Lhasa. The 186 was a true pintail, whereas the H113 is not.
    Honestly not sure what is out there that is similar to the 186L Pow. It’s a pretty unique shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Interesting you guys are suggesting the H 113. They are a completely different shape than the 186 Lhasa. The 186 was a true pintail, whereas the H113 is not.
    Honestly not sure what is out there that is similar to the 186L Pow. It’s a pretty unique shape.

Similar to what i was thinking. What made my 186 Pows magical was the pintail that made them effortless in trees and crud.

Isn't the GPO supposed to been an evolution of the Lhasa?

Paging Keith to the ski remake phone.
    watch out for snakes

And the new 113 also has tail rocker rather than flat tail on the lhasa, no?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Closest thing I've found was Dynastar Cham 2.0 107 and 2.0 117. Very similar shape to the Lhasa/Lhasa Fat. Very pintail like the Lhasa, slight amount of tail rocker make them release a tad easier on firm snow than the Lhasa. To a lesser degree, the Cham 107 High Mountain and original Cham 117 but the layup on those skis is burlier and less fun. Avoid the standard Cham 107 (Green Top Sheet) tons of metal, really stiff.

I have owned multiple iterations of the 186, 191, 196 Lhasa and those two skis are the closest I have found. Obviously out of production now but easy to pick up cheap. Also, the layup is more inbounds friendly and more durable than the Lhasa.

Also for the record, a lot of us who were skiing the Lhasa are now on the Dynastar Mfree 108 for daily use and rolling things like ON3P Billygoats, and Praxis Protests for pow days. But the 186 Lhasa was an awesome ski.

There was also a remake of the 191 Lhasa Pow Fat a few years back by Praxis which is a pretty nice ski.

Thanks everyone. It may sound crazy but I ski that ski here on the east coast and I love it. For me it seems to turn easy and is light and responsive. Just love that ski and I know it doesn’t have too much life left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Closest thing I've found was Dynastar Cham 2.0 107 and 2.0 117. Very similar shape to the Lhasa/Lhasa Fat. Very pintail like the Lhasa, slight amount of tail rocker make them release a tad easier on firm snow than the Lhasa. To a lesser degree, the Cham 107 High Mountain and original Cham 117 but the layup on those skis is burlier and less fun. Avoid the standard Cham 107 (Green Top Sheet) tons of metal, really stiff.

I have owned multiple iterations of the 186, 191, 196 Lhasa and those two skis are the closest I have found. Obviously out of production now but easy to pick up cheap. Also, the layup is more inbounds friendly and more durable than the Lhasa.

Also for the record, a lot of us who were skiing the Lhasa are now on the Dynastar Mfree 108 for daily use and rolling things like ON3P Billygoats, and Praxis Protests for pow days. But the 186 Lhasa was an awesome ski.

There was also a remake of the 191 Lhasa Pow Fat a few years back by Praxis which is a pretty nice ski.
    “Pretty nice ski” lol. Ok. That ski fuckin kills it.

“Pretty nice ski” lol. Ok. That ski fuckin kills it.

Yeah, it depends. Your heavy hitter stiff version was awesome. The UL or normal layup pairs I tried, I wasn't as impressed by.

I didn’t find mine to ski much like the hybrid Lhasa 191

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Yeah, it depends. Your heavy hitter stiff version was awesome. The UL or normal layup pairs I tried, I wasn't as impressed by.
    Fair enough. The stock flex was to soft for bigger harder chargers. For smaller guys that flex was spot on.

Ski similar to Llasha POW 186

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I didn’t find mine to ski much like the hybrid Lhasa 191

The 191 hybrid was a different ski than the 186, that’s the comparison I was making to the f 113

The 186 was a friendly pow ski

I thought the old DPS Lotus 120 was similar to the Lhasa, but I liked the L120 more in pow. Had a couple versions of the Lhasa - 191, 196, IIRC.

I still have and still like the L120. The Lhasas are long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Similar to what i was thinking. What made my 186 Pows magical was the pintail that made them effortless in trees and crud.

Isn't the GPO supposed to been an evolution of the Lhasa?
    The GPOs tail skis nothing like the way people describe the 186 Lhasa. Way more present and traditional.

How would a 185 «spured» Bodacious compare to the 186 Lhasa? Asking, not suggesting

Hey @cjknox,

Quick question on your Lhasa Pow. What construction and stiffness did you have/want/like on your Lhasa Pow? IIRC Pat did Full Carbon builds, Fiberglass/carbon hybrid builds, and heavy hitter alpine build. And for some time I believe he offered stiff and medium flex options...?

With respect to the Lhasa Pow, it was, honestly, a unique ski. Lots of tip taper, a very large (39m) turn radius, mega pintail (20mm tip/tail delta), and a traditional mount point. My suggestion is to think through the attributes you liked most about the ski and rank them, since a direct replacement is unlikely.

The Dynastar 107/117 mentioned above may be the most similar to the tip taper and pintail (15mm delta)... but it also had like an 18m turn radius, so very very different tool. AS mentioned, the Dynastars most relevant to to you is the HM build(comparable to the PMGear Hybrid builds IIRC). The standard Dynastar build are heavy damp skis that are not really comparable to any other PMGear builds.

The Heritage Lab 113 (which for disclosure is me...) is going to be similar, with slightly less tip taper, a large (slightly bigger) turn radius, but in comparison, it has a mild pintail (11mm delta). The 113 is designed to get clean tail release from a small amount of tail rocker instead of pintail FWIW. The Freeride build (FL113) will be comparable to a stiff heavy hitter build, and the HL Carbon build (C113) will similar to pmgear's Carbon builds.

But yeah, I don't really know of many other skis on offer today, other than $2k custom skis, with large turn radius, more traditional mount points, and performance builds, hence doing the Heritage Lab ski project in the first place.

I have a minty pair of 186s drilled once for FT12s at 306bsl.

I bought them on here long ago and never really had much need for them. Think I skied them 3-4 times. Let me know if you are interested. I'd rather they go a mag than collect dust in my garage.

Just checkin in. I have top shelf molds (as in milled out of blocks of aluminum) for the 186, the last truly great version of the 191 without the rad tail rocker (to me, because the tail was thinned to release more)), and the 184 Bya, which absolutlely slays if the tip contact edge is located in the correct spot. All sitting in my garage in Reno. Plenty of people have wanted to have me send them the engineering, for free, of course, over the years, and I offered the molds to Keith, but he doesn't use molds. If any small outfits out there are interested, get a hold of me here. No, they're not gonna be free. I check in every month or two but am currently living beyond off the grid skiing on another continent.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Just checkin in. I have top shelf molds (as in milled out of blocks of aluminum) for the 186, the last truly great version of the 191 without the rad tail rocker (to me, because the tail was thinned to release more)), and the 184 Bya, which absolutlely slays if the tip contact edge is located in the correct spot. All sitting in my garage in Reno. Plenty of people have wanted to have me send them the engineering, for free, of course, over the years, and I offered the molds to Keith, but he doesn't use molds. If any small outfits out there are interested, get a hold of me here. No, they're not gonna be free. I check in every month or two but am currently living beyond off the grid skiing on another continent.
    Yo, Splat!
    Thank you for the great skis!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1004211215a_HDR.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	981.9 KB 
ID:	436894

Since this pic was taken I've also added a 191 Lhasa (hybrid; black with white line art).

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought the old DPS Lotus 120 was similar to the Lhasa, but I liked the L120 more in pow. Had a couple versions of the Lhasa - 191, 196, IIRC.

I still have and still like the L120. The Lhasas are long gone.
    I was on many iterations of the Lotus 120 and was very happy with them until I got my first 191 Lhasa Fat.
    Very similar to the L120 but with a little more sidecut and a bit of camber.
    I thought it skied powder ~90-95% as well as the 120 and did everything else better.
    I do miss my 190 Pure Flex 3 120s though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    ...currently living...skiing on another continent.
    Good to know. Rock on!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...