Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for the lange groupies

I have RX130s and love them whenever it’s below 15 degrees or so. If it’s anywhere close to freezing or above, they’re way too soft.

1: I have several coworkers who have the same problem. Is this something they addressed for the 2023 boot? Mine are 2022.

2: is the XR9 boot the same mold as the RX130? I plan to get injected foam liners, but I need to have a 130 flex that’s actually 130, and I want to be able to swap the liners to a new shell, cuz I seem to go through a shell a season lately.

I don’t have the rx130 but I have a xr9 heritage pink panther and I have a xt130 50/50. My xt130 is considerably softer then my pink panther and that’s plastic wise and not due to walk mode. My XR9 I can still ski hard when it’s warm with great rebound, my xt130 gets very soft at 35 degrees. I have a booster strap on them now and I am running my zipfit garas in them to stiffen them up some more. I use my GFT for 50/50 days in them and they are still better then stock.

pretty sure the plastic is stiffer and more dense moving from a RX to the RS/XR.

I bought a pair of used rx130 last year because I was tired of the near falls in my rs boots. Going back to rs because the rx felt soft. Could have been due to age of the boots. Not particularly big or aggressive by. Tgr standards

Theoretically the only difference between the RX and RS is the sole and the zeppa. Pretty sure the plastics are the same, just different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Theoretically the only difference between the RX and RS is the sole and the zeppa. Pretty sure the plastics are the same, just different colors.
    yes you are right. Plastics are the same, just more plastic in the RS as the last on the RS is 3mm smaller then the RX last. So there is more plastic in the clog….

is your RX the black one? I wonder if sunshine plays into it. And if that’s why Lange has gone to a lighter less heat absorbing color?

all I know is my panthers ski considerably better in warm temps then my xt130 with boosters. Cold weather is less noticeable.

It's a weird thing about the rx130 stiffness. I too notice the softness at higher temps but only flexing in line for first run. Generally never feel too soft on the fly.
    At 5'9" and 220, I add a powerwrap and a booster strap and it works for me. I'm not too wonky about boot precision. Comfy fit, not cold and not soft. I'm good anywhere.
    Actually pulled a screw in the parking lot the other morning as they were overworking me in the tall stiff pow. Helped just right. Won't last long though.

The green rx130's were softer.

Get Redsters, problem solved.

no idea on the lange question

this might help? https://shop.pulsebootlab.com/products/pulse-proflex If it doesn't pulse will refund

Are you talking about RX 130LV (97mm) or the RX130 (100mm)? The LV version is stiffer than the 100mm boot because the walls are thicker.
    The RS130LV is stiffer than both because of the thickness and the solid soles. The RS 130LV is stiffer than the RS 130 MV, for this same reason.
    A foam liner will generally stiffen a boot a bit. But with the trend towards softer mixes of the foam this is not always the case.
    The Heritage Series boots are built on the RX LV chassis, but with a stiffer (140) plastic. But they only built 200 pairs and for the most part they are allocated before they are even produced.
    Lastly, Booster straps soften, not stiffen, the initial flex of a boot.

I ski RX 130 LVs and notice them softening in warm weather as well. Definitely feel a bit "swimmier" on warmer days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    I ski RX 130 LVs and notice them softening in warm weather as well. Definitely feel a bit "swimmier" on warmer days.
    I always attributed that to the liner, not the shell...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I skied FR120 LV then FR130 LV and then the black/green RX 130LV for the last 15 years. I just tried on the newest 2023 RX 130 LV with dual injected shell. Both vintages of RX felt waaay softer than both vintages of the predecessor FR. I also tried on a recent 2022 RS 130 (all boots in 97mm last) and they were noticeably stiffer than the RXand closer to the old FR's

My feeling was that the RS 130 was stiffer than the RX 130 in pretty much any temps, and probably a ZA would be even more immune to temperature fluctuation but I could never get it to work for my wide feet. Haven't tried the new 95mm lasted 140, which might also be an option. All this assumes you are willing to deal with a plug sole in terms of eating shit in the parking lot or having it planed and rubber sole blocks put on.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    My feeling was that the RS 130 was stiffer than the RX 130 in pretty much any temps, and probably a ZA would be even more immune to temperature fluctuation but I could never get it to work for my wide feet. Haven't tried the new 95mm lasted 140, which might also be an option. All this assumes you are willing to deal with a plug sole in terms of eating shit in the parking lot or having it planed and rubber sole blocks put on.
    I don't believe anything has changed with the RX 130 for 2023 other than color; the boot will change drastically for next year.

Would be great if Thor Verdonk would follow these threads as closely as Matt Manser . . .

that would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    that would be sweet.
    Jake Stevens (Thor's peer at Rossi) would also probably know, but I don't think he considers TGR part of his job description. Matt and Federico Sbrisa are the two guys who do (did), and it was hugely informative.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Get Redsters, problem solved.
    And yes, my Redster CS 130 seems to change less with temperature fluctuation than my RS 130.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    2: is the XR9 boot the same mold as the RX130? I plan to get injected foam liners, but I need to have a 130 flex that’s actually 130, and I want to be able to swap the liners to a new shell, cuz I seem to go through a shell a season lately.
    Some good chatter over in the XT3140 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Some of the additional rearward stiffness of the boot is created by the extra piece, it's only partially a spoiler. It is easy to grind the bolt flush so it doesn't catch.

To those of you still searching for the one boot quiver, it's not there.

If all you ever ski on is a boot like the XT3 140, on skis that have 90mm waists and rocker, you will think they are great. And they are.

But, you wouldn't want to pilot a 27m GS ski with them.

I have the good fortune (some times) to have more ski boots than time to ski them. The primary ones are from the Lange family.

There is a ZB plug, a Purple Haze, XT3 Promodel 140LV, and the Tour Pro. I'm not boasting, its an occupational hazard really. There is a definite pecking order to ski performance and which skis get driven with which boots. It goes pretty much like you would expect. Race skis with plugs, sub 95mm and frontside skis with the Purple ones, and so on.

On the other side of the equation, the clown skis get completely overpowered by the race boot.

I'm always amused when people who ski exclusively on AT or hybrid boots (especially with tech bindings)
    tell me how these boots ski just as well as alpine boots.

Hell, boots with replaceable toes and heels don't ski as well as boots with solid soles. But you would never know this unless you skied with one on each foot. And then, its quite noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    I understand the RS/RX 140 is the same exact shell as the RS/RX 130. They give it an extra 10 stiffy points because of a different liner.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    That was the case with the RS140 of a few years go, same shell, stiffer liner. The two Heritage Series boots, the Pink Panther from three years ago, and last year's Purple Haze are stiffer plastic than the RS 130, which is stiffer than the RX 130.
    The difference between those two is most likely the liner and the soles. As 130 flex boots go neither is on the stiffer end of the spectrum although they are stiffer than some. Softer than others.

Would be great if Thor Verdonk would follow these threads as closely as Matt Manser . . .
    If you like Bill Belichick press conferences......

That was a joke and I would expect since he is a Patriots fan, one he would enjoy.

I'm surprised (and appreciate) the amount of time Matt Manser gives to online chat. It is unusual for a product manager to volunteer so much information to the public, no matter the industry.

Greg - do you know what the BSL is on the new RS 140 95mm? Any hands on looking at internal dimensions? Curious if its closer to the XT3 size break.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Greg - do you know what the BSL is on the new RS 140 95mm? Any hands on looking at internal dimensions? Curious if its closer to the XT3 size break.
    What I read last year was it’s a XX3mm, like the plugs

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    I heard the same, XX3 BSL's like ZA, ZB, etc. but I haven't seen one in person. Not really in the Lange inner sanctum and all my gossip comes via the rep, SV, but before the XT3 came out he told me the BSL was 306mm in a 26.5 . . .

I heard the same, XX3 BSL's like ZA, ZB, etc. but I haven't seen one in person. Not really in the Lange inner sanctum and all my gossip comes via the rep, SV.
    Hmm, maybe I need take one for the team and order a pair.