Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Return of the R/R - Heritage Lab 132 - Dedicated Thread

With final samples arriving, and by popular demand, making a dedicated thread.

Rocker
    - The profile is exactly what I was after.
    - Surfy up front, very small flat spot underfoot, and quick to pivot but very stable tail.
    - The Carbon and Freeride builds have effectively the same profile.

Flex Pattern
    - Super happy with the stiffness and flex pattern. Round and firm, without being excessively stiff.
    - The right balance between crisp handling and cutting cleanly through wind skin, but smooth in rough entries/exits.

Construction
    - The carbon build will feel like trampolines on your feet. Quick, lively, and incredibly smooth.
    - The freeride build will feel like battleships on your feet. Surfy, quick to pivot, and chop destroyers.

Skis on order are expected to ship by Jan 15th, and there are a few pairs remaining on most shapes.
    Eager to hear everyone's thoughts and questions! Happy to post any more details folks might be after.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT IN MAKING THIS CRAZY IDEA REAL.

I personally can't wait to mount super light tech bindings on a pair of C132 for pow touring, and mount my FR132 alpine for Alta/Bird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.40.17 AM.png 
Views:	348 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	436360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.40.38 AM.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	436361  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 12-02-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Rocker looks sweet.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Yass it does. Pretty fkn stoked to get on dem carbonated 200s. Nice weights for that line, bravo.

The freeride build is heavy! Battleships for sure! Bet they'd be fun as hell inbounds/cat/choppah.

2700g for the 192s!! Burly! That rocker looks amazballs

Someday I will own a carbon 200cm version of these skis. Not this year... but someday.

I know I said I was going to mount atks on my 200s, but damn, I'll need to share the love.

Anyone tried the FF14 Demos from Tyrolia/Head?

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Marshal, how does FR weight/build compare to older hybrid Dps 138?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I already put in for the C132. I don’t need the FR132 also, right? Right???

Does the FR version exist in the 200 cm length?

PS- this post may have been influenced by drugs and/or alcohol. Read at your own risk.

Waiting impatiently for c132 delivery. Now totally bound around the axle on what tiny touring clamp to apply....Kuluar, Crest, Haute's, C raider, Titan Vario, Alpenis??? Something under 300g with leashes. Already have Helio 180's but would like the option of a taller 2nd riser, but dang, little bastards don't weigh much.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Marshal, how does FR weight/build compare to older hybrid Dps 138?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hey man, good question. I'd say the construction itself is a bit more like the OG PMgear hybrid construction - but same idea as both, just with newer materials.

I think you will find the construction to be a bit smoother on windboard (extra rubber), a bit more poppy when airing off features (more carbon, rounder flex ala Renegades), and equivalently good in chop (Poplar/Bamboo core + reverse/reverse shape).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Waiting impatiently for c132 delivery. Now totally bound around the axle on what tiny touring clamp to apply....Kuluar, Crest, Haute's, C raider, Titan Vario, Alpenis??? Something under 300g with leashes. Already have Helio 180's but would like the option of a taller 2nd riser, but dang, little bastards don't weigh much.
    Yo man. Here is how I think about what the right touring binding is:

1. Am I going to ski these at resorts that require them, or huge-vertical runs and brik's at the bottom? (ie need brakes)
    2. Am I going to ski these with beefy boots and very high speeds? (ie wanting either a brake or freeride spacer for energy transfer)
    3. Am I going to tour these with beefier boots with some amount of friction in the cuff or unmodified liners that don't flex great? (ie needing higher heel elevators).
    4. Is the ski wider than 10xmm? (ie wanting a larger heel hole pattern than many light heels and going for an adjuster plate)

For me, personally, My answer is:
    [1- No, wastach touring exclusively]
    [2- yes, duh]
    [3- No, my boots are modified for max articulation]
    [4- Yes, obviosuly!]

So I go for a race heel on an adjuster plate (ie Plum 170) w/ a steel radical toe (on a 6mm shim) for <2mm pin delta on all of my touring bindings.

I am not an expert on the various lines, but the ATK Haute Route appears to have the Kuluar/Crest/Haute Route as essentially the same binding, just different offerings. Is there really much difference in heel stack height with those and the Helio 180 you have? Maybe a few mm, but it doesn't look dramatic IMO. The G3 ZED has 2 heights, but you have to turn them, which feels kinda archaic these days. I think the alpinist is a really nice biding, but it is pretty low delta (2mm) and has a single flap, so not that different than a race setup, in this way at least.

On the C132, I'd say for sure a larger heel hole pattern, a freeride spacer or brakes for energy transfer, and then decide between the various heels based on your need/want/desire on heel elevator height (race/alpinist = low, haute route/et al = a little more, raider/ZED = two heights).

With respect to 0-gap heels, and heels with forward pressure, I'd say I care about that more on skinnier skis myself (ie I use Alpinists on 94mm skis, and race heels on powder skis). Just one guys' opinion tho!

EDIT: Holy crap, the Crest and Raider bindings have mega delta (11.5mm).
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 12-03-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Marshal - Whats your beefy but w/ modified max articulation boot? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    I already put in for the C132. I don’t need the FR132 also, right? Right???

Does the FR version exist in the 200 cm length?

PS- this post may have been influenced by drugs and/or alcohol. Read at your own risk.
    Fr in 200, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Fr in 200, yes.

Unfortunately nobody ordered any 200cm FR132

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Unfortunately nobody ordered any 200cm FR132
    Shame. They'd be lighter than Big Dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Marshal - Whats your beefy but w/ modified max articulation boot? Thx
    So, I am in a La Sportiva Vagabond, which is a cool boot, but not overly different than many in the category. The big thing I have been playing with the last ~5 years however, is with the liner.

My favorite liner is the stock Scarpa Freedom SL liner, which is an Intuition hybrid liner between a Power Tongue and Pro Tour. In stock form, its a really great alpine liner. Much more compression on the ankle and a stiffer tongue than a pro tour, but it doesn't really bend, even worse than a Pro Tour (which, objectively, isn't that bendy compared to the touring/skimo Palau liners).

So... what I do has taken experimentation, ruined a few liners, and I get about 1/2 the life of the liner (the "hinge point" of the ankle will eventually fatigue the foam). But it works awesome - bends much more like a thin skimo liner, and skis like a stock alpine intuition liner.

1). I remove the webbing at the crease of the ankle, near the tongue. Unmodified liner on left and modified liner on the right. If you don't remove this, the webbing only stretches a little bit, pulls tight, and then prevents the liner for bending any further.

2). I cut the extra material in the diamond on the back of the liner. In most Intuition "tour" liners, these diamonds as still the same thickness and density foam, and again, it just folds a little ways, but bottoms on itself and won't bend smoothly.

TIPS IF YOU TRY THIS:
    - When cutting the diamond, be sure to ONLY remove the outer spandex and the foam.
    - DO NOT cut the inner lining, and try to expose as little of the lining as possible.
    - Try to remove as much foam as possible inside the diamond.
    - Avoid cutting the stitching around the diamond.

HERE IS A QUICK LINK SHOWING THE BEFORE AND AFTER OF THE LINERS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 5.28.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	436435  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 12-02-2022 at 06:59 PM.

^^^ thanks Marshal, very interesting. That little diy should be it’s own thread, maybe you’ve explained it elsewhere.

Props Marshal, Thanks for offering some exciting options.

I'm hoping too support this project at some point in the next few seasons. C132 is first on my list if I do.

Yo man. Here is how I think about what the right touring binding is:

[LIST=1]

So I go for a race heel on an adjuster plate (ie Plum 170) w/ a steel radical toe (on a 6mm shim) for <2mm pin delta on all of my touring bindings.
    Just so I understand correctly, you’re using the radical toe for the same reason as the adjuster plate? i.e. to spread the hole pattern out?

::::@::::

When i was buying/ fitting pwrwraps I asked the fitter at the Intuition factory out let in Vangroovy about the Scarpa liner and he said Intuition made it to Scarpa specs

so i take that to mean its not really an intuition liner but probably damn close

unfortunatley the Scarpa shell doesn't work for my foot cuz i think they are good value coming with an intuition-ish liner and real dynafit tech fittings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Mount discussion makes me think that this ski would be a good candidate for both toe and heel tracks, at least for this R/R jong. Widen the binding footprint for torque transfer while also allowing fore/aft mount point tweakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Mount discussion makes me think that this ski would be a good candidate for both toe and heel tracks, at least for this R/R jong. Widen the binding footprint for torque transfer while also allowing fore/aft mount point tweakage.
    So maybe like a look hm12 demo?

I'm thinking custom from the machinist up the street

I'll do the Trab toes, with either the SSL2.0 or Trofeo 10 heels I have. Freeride spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Just so I understand correctly, you’re using the radical toe for the same reason as the adjuster plate? i.e. to spread the hole pattern out?

yes, exactly.

and as a 200lb human who cracked a few SSL toes, I like the steel radicals. Or at least I have used them for 100’s of days with no issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I'm thinking custom from the machinist up the street

I'll do the Trab toes, with either the SSL2.0 or Trofeo 10 heels I have. Freeride spacer.
    I haven’t experimented with them, but something like the plum rental toe setup would be really cool.

https://skimo.co/plum-adjustment-plates

So... what I do has taken experimentation, ruined a few liners, and I get about 1/2 the life of the liner (the "hinge point" of the ankle will eventually fatigue the foam). But it works awesome - bends much more like a thin skimo liner, and skis like a stock alpine intuition liner.

1). I remove the webbing at the crease of the ankle, near the tongue. Unmodified liner on left and modified liner on the right. If you don't remove this, the webbing only stretches a little bit, pulls tight, and then prevents the liner for bending any further.

2). I cut the extra material in the diamond on the back of the liner. In most Intuition "tour" liners, these diamonds as still the same thickness and density foam, and again, it just folds a little ways, but bottoms on itself and won't bend smoothly.

TIPS IF YOU TRY THIS:
    - When cutting the diamond, be sure to ONLY remove the outer spandex and the foam.
    - DO NOT cut the inner lining, and try to expose as little of the lining as possible.
    - Try to remove as much foam as possible inside the diamond.
    - Avoid cutting the stitching around the diamond.

HERE IS A QUICK LINK SHOWING THE BEFORE AND AFTER OF THE LINERS
    This deserves its own post. A lot of skiers could benefit greatly from these modifications