Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    One of my big reasons for choosing alpinists beyond what you laid out is the minimal delta. Most of the ATK's are just too much for my taste and I would prefer to shim as little as possible. The other thing is that the strategic application of 2 more heel holes allows you to use a KP heel if so inclined. Adds a little more versatility if you want more binding oomph. Also, alpenists are cheap right now. Just paid 205 euro for 21/22's and had them here in 5 business days.
    Yeah haute route isn't too bad (6.5 mm) but alpinist is still flatter. Yeah I just saw what I assume is the same deal on alpinists and was thinking of grabbing some regardless of what ends up on the skis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I get the freeride spacer argument but not the 5-10mm wider mount pattern argument. Maybe folks are more sensitive to a wider hole pattern than I but I feel like if you’re skiing these in pow, a wider mounting pattern isn’t necessary as it requires much less force to lean a ski over in pow than if you’re on hardpack. Might make sense for those going with the 200cm model I suppose since there’s a chance those will be used in more variable terrain? Or maybe I just need to ski harder.

I think there's an argument to be made for the approach/deproach scenario with a very wide ski. Skinning a surprise firm sidehill or exiting a luge trail, etc. where big torque could be put on the toepiece especially.

So even if the argument is weak, the connection is probably a lil less prone to pullout by having the 12-ab screw pattern spread a lil wider.

🤷

Or just put MARKERS on em

True true, folks have good luck with snowcountry.eu?

Is there that much movement or flex with a narrow screw pattern? Doubtful.

Screw pullout? Has that happened?

Just mount your favorite binding and ski

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    I just got a couple pair of clamps from them last week. Got here about as fast as most domestic shipping. No issues with ordering, customs, or anything else. All good based on my experience from last week.

Probably the best of all the euro shops. Lightning fast shipping. You will get hit with import duties on big orders (usually $800 is the cutoff) but that is the same with the other shops

Anyone tried Strive demo bindings yet?

Heavily considering those for my 132s.

Today was one of those perfect C132 days in Tahoe, can’t wait to get these mounted up.

Up here December was one of those days when the C132 would have been perfect. Now it's raining

Today was one of those perfect C132 days in Tahoe, can’t wait to get these mounted up.
    Yeah a good year for these, hopefully it keeps up!

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Anyone tried Strive demo bindings yet?

Heavily considering those for my 132s.
    I hate the shit out of the Strive demos because they seem to have the same pre-release issues for me as the Shift. If Shifts work for you or you know how to get them to work for you, it’s a very similar feeling binding.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    I hate the shit out of the Strive demos because they seem to have the same pre-release issues for me as the Shift. If Shifts work for you or you know how to get them to work for you, it’s a very similar feeling binding.
    Fark, I need to hoard more STH2 WTRs.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Ha that's great! I briefly considered doing this but figured it wouldn't be cost effective since I'd have to go through proto labs or somewhere. I wonder if there is enough demand among mags for wide mounting plates to do a run of these. Bonus for making them tall enough to accommodate the universal freeride spacer.

I wouldnt be opposed to r01 style tracks with the 45x44 pattern of the raider heels. No real reason for the r01 to be so narrow.

Read this thread and it seemed like that was a one off experience no? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ging-ONK/page2

Seems like some folks dig them, some not so much. I just mounted some MSP 99s with the 14, was hoping it’d be similar to my STH2s, which I’ve had good luck with through the years.

Read this thread and it seemed like that was a one off experience no? https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ging-ONK/page2

Seems like some folks dig them, some not so much. I just mounted some MSP 99s with the 14, was hoping it’d be similar to my STH2s, which I’ve had good luck with through the years.
    Happened again to my wife in December this season. Same basic mode of release with soft, sloughy snow, smeary turns on a steepish run a few days post storm. We’re both large people. My binding was set at 10, hers at 9 if I recall correctly.

I’m open to the idea the binding is fine and it was set up wrong both times, so maybe I came on a little harsh but I am not really interested in trying it again given experience to date for myself. I think part of my reaction is coming from the separate collect of similar feeling releases we’ve both had on the Shift given how (optically at least) similar the toes may be. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    I wouldnt be opposed to r01 style tracks with the 45x44 pattern of the raider heels. No real reason for the r01 to be so narrow.
    Ski Trab race heel plates have a slightly wider mount pattern as the ATK R01 plates and are functionally identical otherwise. Still compatible with Trab, ATK, Helio etc.

https://skimo.co/ski-trab-adjustment...BoC0oIQAvD_BwE

Never tried shifts, but thanks for the heads up.

Might go with Mojos, which have 15mm mobility fore-aft, and drill an extra set of holes for the toes, install inserts. Not a quick fix, but should certainly be better than shitty prerelease prone clamps.

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

Return of the R/R - Heritage Lab 132 - Dedicated Thread

Quality work! Nice to meet you in person (again). Like I said, but for the rest of them, pretty sure the first time we met was Fish Creek at the ‘Boat in 2004/5. First pair of spats I had ever seen and I asked for change. There was like 2 or 3 of them in the group. I had a different user name back then.

Getting mounted up at -10 with p15s today. My (I am original owner) beat to snot Loti with 5 mounts and crushed sidewalls finally can RIP. They were last mounted at -2 (84cm flat on base from tail IIRC), and I struggled with tip dive forward of that when I let them loose. Now that I daily drive two blends of Bibby/wildcats I think my stance and boots will help there.

I’d post pics but it seems I have to download the dreaded tapatalk or some shit. Behold the first 200cm c132 delivered to a customer!:

Last edited by wapiti hunter; 01-22-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti hunter View Post
    Quality work! Nice to meet you in person (again). Like I said, but for the rest of them, pretty sure the first time we met was Fish Creek at the ‘Boat in 2004/5. First pair of spats I had ever seen and I asked for change. There was like 2 or 3 of them in the group. I had a different user name back then.

Getting mounted up at -10 with p15s today. My (I am original owner) beat to snot Loti with 5 mounts and crushed sidewalks finally can RIP. They were last mounted at -2 (84cm flat on base from tail IIRC), and I struggled with tip dive forward of that when I let them loose. Now that I daily drive two blends of Bibby/wildcats I think my stance and boots will help there.

I’d post pics but it seems I have to download the dreaded tapatalk or some shit. Behold the first 200cm c132 delivered to a customer!:
    R-r-r-rad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti hunter View Post

Getting mounted up at -10 with p15s today. My (I am original owner) beat to snot Loti with 5 mounts and crushed sidewalls finally can RIP. They were last mounted at -2 (84cm flat on base from tail IIRC), and I struggled with tip dive forward of that when I let them loose. Now that I daily drive two blends of Bibby/wildcats I think my stance and boots will help there.

I dont know who you are, but you are eerily similar to me. i also have beat to shit old lotuses I am replacing and I also daily drive bibbys for both touring and inbounds.

Very curious as to where you have your bibbys mounted and your feedback on the mounting point. My 190FR 132 are awaiting bindings and some real world feedback on mounting points but your input would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    Very curious as to where you have your bibbys mounted and your feedback on the mounting point. My 190FR 132 are awaiting bindings and some real world feedback on mounting points but your input would be perfect.
    Here are my suggested mount details:

-11.5 (~84cm from tail) => full directional/alpine setup, comparable to the old stuff
    -10 (~85.5 from tail) => Lightweight AT bindings and/or "neutral" skier
    -8.5 (~87cm from tail) => "modern skier" mount.

Specific to touring use, I have my personal C132 mounted at -11.5, and I really like it skiing, and will put my Fr132 at that spot, but might move the toes forward so that the tails drop and the tip stays up better on kick turns.

For someone coming off a Bibby (-6ish mount, yes?), going 2-3cm forward, between -9.5 and -8.5 should work well IMO.

Ho shit they shipped

Anyone have experience (or wild speculation) about how these compare to Armada ARG II UL?

I’ve never been on a reverse/reverse ski but I’m very curious about the C132. I’m trying to replace 196cm ON3P Pillowfights (first gen). They are getting beat and starting to feel like a lot to get around. I mostly used them in inappropriate situations (1’ of quickly chopped up resort pow) with a little touring. I’ll go back to Japan but that’s the exception; inbounds to resort access backcountry Colorado is the rule. 6’4” 185lbs hooligan. I’m a strong skier but just out there trying to have a good time not win medals. Hauling ass popping up and over stuff instead of blasting through it.

Skis I like:
    181cm Line Blade - awesome for hardpack shenanigans. Drag a hip, land switch, and pop over a small child all on the same run. All dads or immature people approaching middle age should own this ski.
    190cm Line Sir Francis Bacon - for everything else. Have two pairs, one with Cast, both mounted on the rec line (-2.8cm I think). Nimble, light, tons of float, insane pop, first time I’ve landed switch in powder with any consistency.
    190cm Kastle XX110 - what I loved before the SFB
    190cm Faction CT 3.0 - mounted on Candide line. This thing absolutely trucks for a light ski. Surprised it wasn’t more popular here.
    Note: having typed that out, it appears I really really like forward mounted poppy light skis that carve well

Powder ski failures:
    189cm ON3P Cease and Desist (asymmetrical) - boring, lifeless, heavy. Very stable and competent. Not fun.
    191cm K2 Reckoner 122 - they were fine I guess. I feel like your powder ski should inspire more than “it’s fine”
    189cm ON3P Jeffrey 116 - found them pretty generic. Didn’t do anything well enough (including float) to keep in the rotation. I don’t think ON3P has their side cuts dialed at all. Would probably like them a lot more in tour layup. At this point I’m probably done with ON3P after one ski I liked and 3 I disliked.
    186cm Line Outline - I don’t think they offered anything over the SFB. 4cm of length for 9mm width wasn’t a good trade. I think I’d like them in some combo of longer and/or wider.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Anyone have experience (or wild speculation) about how these compare to Armada ARG II UL?

I’ve never been on a reverse/reverse ski but I’m very curious about the C132. I’m trying to replace 196cm ON3P Pillowfights (first gen). They are getting beat and starting to feel like a lot to get around. I mostly used them in inappropriate situations (1’ of quickly chopped up resort pow) with a little touring. I’ll go back to Japan but that’s the exception; inbounds to resort access backcountry Colorado is the rule. 6’4” 185lbs hooligan. I’m a strong skier but just out there trying to have a good time not win medals. Hauling ass popping up and over stuff instead of blasting through it.

Skis I like:
    181cm Line Blade - awesome for hardpack shenanigans. Drag a hip, land switch, and pop over a small child all on the same run. All dads or immature people approaching middle age should own this ski.
    190cm Line Sir Francis Bacon - for everything else. Have two pairs, one with Cast, both mounted on the rec line (-2.8cm I think). Nimble, light, tons of float, insane pop, first time I’ve landed switch in powder with any consistency.
    190cm Kastle XX110 - what I loved before the SFB
    190cm Faction CT 3.0 - mounted on Candide line. This thing absolutely trucks for a light ski. Surprised it wasn’t more popular here.
    Note: having typed that out, it appears I really really like forward mounted poppy light skis that carve well

Powder ski failures:
    189cm ON3P Cease and Desist (asymmetrical) - boring, lifeless, heavy. Very stable and competent. Not fun.
    191cm K2 Reckoner 122 - they were fine I guess. I feel like your powder ski should inspire more than “it’s fine”
    189cm ON3P Jeffrey 116 - found them pretty generic. Didn’t do anything well enough (including float) to keep in the rotation. I don’t think ON3P has their side cuts dialed at all. Would probably like them a lot more in tour layup. At this point I’m probably done with ON3P after one ski I liked and 3 I disliked.
    186cm Line Outline - I don’t think they offered anything over the SFB. 4cm of length for 9mm width wasn’t a good trade. I think I’d like them in some combo of longer and/or wider.

Hey man, so I have never skied the ARG or ARG II, and am obviously deeply biased, but if I am reading it right, it looks like the current version is 187cm and 2250g. The width looks great (133mm) as I have found >135mm to noticeably put extra torque on my body, and <130mm to miss on the full benefit of R/R.

I would say the R/R skis are insanely responsive, and 187 (or 190+) feels much quicker and easier to turn than normal shapes in similar sizes. IMO - unless you are looking for a tight tree pow ski, and based on all the 190cm skis you like along with the 196 Pillowfight, the 190 (actually 191.5 straight tape) 132 might make a little more sense and fit your ski preferences.

I'd also say the the 2200g ARG is pretty middle of the road weight wise. Will be more lively for sure than a 196 On3p, but IMO it's neither heavy enough to mach through tracked/chopped snow, nor light enough to be super responsive in untracked snow. But I do think it will be versatile and fun.

So in conclusion, if you think the 2600g HL FR132 is too heavy, or the 1950g HL C132 is too light, and/or you want something shorter than 190, then the ARG should be super fun!