Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    It’s getting close homie! Can’t wait to ring that bell

Widest/Longest skins known to man just showed up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	441543

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Amassing the bits for mine, too.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230106_182048.jpeg 
Views:	192 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	441555

Return of the R/R - Heritage Lab 132 - Dedicated Thread

What skin tip loops are those

Nice!
    i’m running the same skins!

id add that I have had great luck so far with the skinnier Pomoca tip buckle (95mm?) on these skins.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    What skin tip loops are those

G3 tip n tail hardware, skin matl in bulk by the cm

Return of the R/R - Heritage Lab 132 - Dedicated Thread

Good info on the 95mm tip loop, I have a spare 115 that I thought about swapping. But I’ll run it as is.

@Norse Gotcha thought so, sucks BD changed their tip loops. Used to always roll with them before this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Nice!
    i’m running the same skins!

id add that I have had great luck so far with the skinnier Pomoca tip buckle (95mm?) on these skins.
    Good to know, though I've come to dislike the standard tip loops.

On Riff's rec, I tried the single centerpokey skin tip for skis w tip holes , and like those quite a lot. But my fave are the G3 swiveling hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Good to know, though I've come to dislike the standard tip loops.

On Riff's rec, I tried the single centerpokey skin tip for skis w tip holes , and like those quite a lot. But my fave are the G3 swiveling hooks.
    The G3 to hooks are great, unfortunately mine are attached to G3 skins

I like where you're headed with the bindings--Are you planning to shim the toes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shims... maybe/probably.

I measured pin heights from the topsheet while pondering this mount and found that with Haute Route heels (on the R01 track) and Trab toes, 36mm - 31mm = 5mm delta.

This is very close to my other setups and I don't want to deviate much, being a sensitive ramp snowflake.

Dynafit SSL2, 35mm - 30mm = 5mm delta.

ATK FR14, 43mm - 36.5mm = 6.5mm delta.

BUT, to run the universal freeride spacer, the boot heel has to come up at least 1mm.

While I could easily do this with a piece of 18 gauge sheet under the heel track and stay within ramp comfort... I also kinda want to widen the mount pattern to the ski per Marshal's recc.

So I have a set of shims for both heel and toe drawn up on my CAD machine and will be diddling with the design for a few days while the skis are in the werks.

Main thing I'm waffling over is whether to include fore-aft adjustability in the toe shim, or to leave em plain-jane.

Ok…

so first, boot pic.

Then a little backstory. I spent a year on Alien 1.0s (only), and they were great, but I broke them numerous times. Then I spent 2 years on Fischer Travers Carbons, and once dialed in, they were great too, but they didn't ski any better than the Alien, and toured worse. I then experimented with the Hoji and F1 LT the last 2 seasons before landing on this La Sportiva setup.

FWIW, I run a very different setup between boots. The bigger boot (1500g) has way more forward lean (17deg + 10mm spoiler vs 14deg + 6mm spoiler), and I like 2-5mm binding delta with them. The big boot's zeppa is nearly flat -- more like an alpine race boot (I also ski in Dobermans). This particular boot, as setup, is probably like an 8 flex Full Tilt give or take.

Conversely, I run the light buddies much more upright in the cuff for two reasons... firstly there is noticably more heel lift in the boot itself so I like to run 0-2mm of delta to generally keep everthing with ME inline onsnow. And secondly, while the cuff is much stiffer than a grilamid/pebax upper, they are still quite soft, and all the flex is in the lower, so essentially, I ski flexed into the boot - my stance is the same, I am just 1/2 way into the boots flex pattern. This really helps "preload" the boot and gives more control overall. The light boots are also much more form fitting and anatomical, so the fit itself is much more similar to my Dobermans than my bigger boot is -- which really helps.

I get some people don't notice low friction ROM of the little boots, but it makes a big difference for me, as I have limited time to ski each day, and try to keep my heart rate near threshold while touring as that is how I ride MTBs in the summer too.

But the thing is, I really only ski the little boots when the snow is CONSISTENT. Doesn't need to be blower, but not pockets of windblown, breakable crust, sun-effected, etc. When the snow is NOT consistent, its kinda hard to maintain my stance, I get tossed fore/aft alot, and the boot really starts to struggle for my large bones and meathead-i-tude... and the bigger boot powers through more like a normal alpine boot.

So... conclusion...
    I love the little boots for the times they are good at what they do, but thats about 50% of the time I go out... So I am just sucking up owning 2 boots until Benneke can talk me into PG Mountains... haha.

but, at least for me, the little boot pairs super well with my c132 and some 85-88mm skinny sticks I am messing around with… and the big boot will pair perfectly to the c113 bc daily driver.

and yes… owning 2 nice touring boots is ridiculous, but what the hell. Life’s short.
    Makes total sense to me. I do the same with the Atomix Hawx and Atomic Backland. And use the same parameter (snow consistency) for choosing boots when hucking is not a big part of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Widest/Longest skins known to man just showed up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1675.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	441543

Jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa! Is this a roll of skin material??? Where/how do you get that? Can you post a parts list from this photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@norse did you get a deal on the material? @ 53¢ per cm I found it was cheaper to just buy new skins online vs assembling my own.

No deal, just wanted better than the pomoca hardware. Ordered all thru skimo.co

That setup sounds absolutely dialed.

Welp, I just got $700 poorer. Stoked to support the project and to get out on these skis!

Welcome to the club! Thanks

Good news everyone... skis are through finishing and QC, and should be shipping in the next couple days via air carrier (Fedex Global). I will follow up via email as soon as I have an expected delivery date. Cheers!!!!

yasss

Good news everyone... skis are through finishing and QC, and should be shipping in the next couple days via air carrier (Fedex Global). I will follow up via email as soon as I have an expected delivery date. Cheers!!!!
    Name:  halleluhah.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  7.1 KB

OK now that these are shipping soon, gotta settle the binding question.

I was originally going to do atk haute routes, but all this talk of wider mount patterns for wide skis made me think I should look at alpinists for these. Marker, I know, but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

ATKs are a little lighter and all metal, alpinists are zero gap and supposedly ski quite well in addition to the wider pattern. Atk toe pattern is pretty narrow, but more universal e.g. I could put trab toes in later if I were so inclined. Both have a flat + medium which is fine by me, I don't anticipate wanting super high risers where I'll be skiing these.

I might end up making a diy freeride spacer but don't really feel like shelling out for an atk premium binding just to get that (their universal freeride spacer was way too tall for their adjustment plate based bindings when I last checked it out).

I know binding choice has been discussed ad nauseam but any other thoughts from the collective?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post

I know binding choice has been discussed ad nauseam but any other thoughts from the collective?

Here's my overkill af solution. Adds a few grams and a little stack height, but keeps delta chill and accommodates the universal freeride spacer while widening the mount to the ski.

Haute Route heels on these, using the square nuts and machine screws from the R01 plate:

Trab toes on these more basic plates:

In the off chance that this shit actually works out, I'll gladly send the files to anyone who wants to machine their own set.

One of my big reasons for choosing alpinists beyond what you laid out is the minimal delta. Most of the ATK's are just too much for my taste and I would prefer to shim as little as possible. The other thing is that the strategic application of 2 more heel holes allows you to use a KP heel if so inclined. Adds a little more versatility if you want more binding oomph. Also, alpenists are cheap right now. Just paid 205 euro for 21/22's and had them here in 5 business days.

Here's my overkill af solution. Adds a few grams and a little stack height, but keeps delta chill and accommodates the universal freeride spacer while widening the mount to the ski.

Haute Route heels on these, using the square nuts and machine screws from the R01 plate:

Trab toes on these more basic plates:

In the off chance that this shit actually works out, I'll gladly send the files to anyone who wants to machine their own set.
    Ha that's great! I briefly considered doing this but figured it wouldn't be cost effective since I'd have to go through proto labs or somewhere. I wonder if there is enough demand among mags for wide mounting plates to do a run of these. Bonus for making them tall enough to accommodate the universal freeride spacer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk