FYI: Pivot 14 heel was very sloppy -- fixed with forward pressure screws

Just sharing for reference if people have this problem in the future. I was skiing my enforcers with Pivot 14's mounted to them and a friend noticed that there was an unusual amount of "play" in the heel. I looked down and realized that when I weighted/unweighted the boot, the brake, the dildo, and the plate under the heel would actually articulate and slide quite a bit. It never ejected me while skiing, but it was unsettling. Probably kept me from going pro. I took a video: Video.

Anyway the heel on both skis would do this. I asked some local TGR friends and lo and behold it turns out the problem was the forward pressure screws were not set properly despite the indicator suggesting they were. Even though the indicator (the white little ramp at the back) was in the "correct" position per the tech manual, it appears that the indicator shows a lot of "correct" positions even when the forward pressure is adjusted on the same boot/binding combo. (see this TGR post about the indicator being anything but a good indicator for indicating)

So I adjusted the forward pressure screws to the middle knurled point and BOOM. No movement. No sloppy heel. And despite adjusting forward pressure screws 8-10mm (going from bottom of third knurled area to the middle knurling), the white ramp indicator was in the same position when the boot was in the binding.

So...if you have pivot 14's, or maybe any of this style pivot binding(?), try adjusting forward pressure if you have a ton of heel movement when the boot is in the binding.

Now the media:

Original "indicator" position when the heel was still sloppy AF before fixing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221130_014106532_iOS.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	436279

Original position of the forward adjustment screw before fixing (notice indicator is within spec even when forward pressure screw is backed out to third knurled section in this pic, compare with last pic):

Name:	20221130_015821677_iOS crop.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	583.9 KB 
ID:	436280

Position of the "indicator" and the forward adjustment screw after fixing. Heel no longer sloppy. Easier to step into binding too, for what it's worth.

Name:	20221202_022955716_iOS.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	436281

I don't know how large these pics will show up on this post. If they're too small, check out this google drive folder with the pics and video in there showing the sloppy (unfixed) positions and the fixed positions.

To be clear, the dirt on the binding and duct tape residue on the ski brake arm were not part of the solution. Hope this saves someone some frustration. My friends sure saved me a trip to the shop.

B

FP still looks too light. Could probably take them in some more. And careful Bushwhacka doesn’t see that video, he will be pissed you ski in a boot with flex. Boot Flex=No Dolphin Turn.

Anything specific making you think FP could adjust a little higher? Should I just adjust til the little ramp indicator moves out of where it's supposed to be then dial back a little?

There is an entire thread on adjusting piece of shit pivots. Go there and start reading. Like pages of it. But your heel posts still look like they are digging into the sides of the boot. I know if your bsl was mounted to that binding you should be cranked in more on each of those posts to the next “knurled” spot, but that’s simply from mounting and knowing.

and for what it’s worth, those bindings usually have some play with boots clicked in. Not as much as you have. But go slap some skis with pivots in some shop vices with a boot in them and do some pulling and pushing. You would be surprised how much play they have. They will always move around. There’s a reason pivots aren’t on the World Cup.

and if you get it right, that white indicator end will me perfectly in line with those two black nubs. Like straight line. Not 3mm proud of the black nubs. But you need to be resetting your indicator every time by turning the heel 90 degrees.

are your AFD’s correct for those soles?

FYI: Pivot 14 heel was very sloppy -- fixed with forward pressure screws

Ur pics show that your fwd. pressure was/is still off according to the white tab th should be “even” with the black indicator…….

Installing a new Pivot…ur always on that middle screw line…that’s the “starting point” for adjusting…..so u could even do some more adjusting to try to get your “forward pressure” a little better…

Pivots are definitely finicky…..but once u get them set/ they are solid.

What boot is that?

Name:	Image1669986277.116199.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	436314
    Last edited by BC.; 12-02-2022 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    are your AFD’s correct for those soles?
    I have those boots...I'm going with no unless he's mixing and matching the tech heel sole plates with the DIN toe sole plates. If he's using the Tech sole plate for the toes, they do not have a WTR or GW option. Pretty sure Pivot 14s don't offer a MN AFD.

One of the simplest checks I've seen for getting the Pivot forward pressure at least in the right ballpark is to pull up and push down on the heel of the boot (or weight and unweight them if you're foot's in the boot) to see if you're getting movement in the brakes. Increase the forward pressure until you get little to no brake movement, and then tweak from there based on the ca-thunk or lack thereof of the dildo.

To be fair on AFD, the WTR is very close to the ISO9523 standard and while not exactly the same, they should release pretty reliably in a release-necessary situation. I have tuned Pivot 18s to release reliably on Dynafit Hoji Free 130s and they are "standards" incompatible. In comparing the specs for WTR and ISO9523, it is pretty explicit that WTR was based on that ISO with more branding/marketing hype than actual specification changes. That said, most ski shops will balk at that for liability sake. I get that and respect their choice and obligation to safety.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Is this a PSA or a cry for help?

First-Time Dildo Insertion Sloppy
    Adjust Screw Position for Effective Results

I adjust by moving the boot up and down to check for brake play, then the dildo twist method. As has been determined time and again the FP indicator on pivots is not accurate. You can search for the thread to find pages and pages of people arguing over something they all agree on
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    You can search for the thread to find pages and pages of people arguing over something they all agree on
    That's the whole damn forum.

B -- you can leave my payment in the form of beer in the condo fridge.